Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods

Go down 
+31
stan
matt270avian
LaFlare
denim
ghpcnm
RoughNecks17
abaucom
robotennis61
Derek
Rickw
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
98riv
T Riley
DEMonte1997
brmcm15
albertj
vendetta
SuperRiv07
deekster_caddy
turtleman
palermocorey90
Mr.Riviera
RhinoFLA
SpaceBar
Jack the R
97rivman
dreww
jax95riv
AA
Buapo
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:47 pm

To Re-upholster your A-pillars:
you will need
1 can of spray adhesive (preferably the stuff made for headliners)
1/2 yard of desired fabric. i am using a micro-velvet, suede like, material b/c it was the closest color match. (cost me 3.60 btw )
a solvent to remove old glue.(maybe even a straight edge razor)
time? - about 1 hour per pillar, start to finish.

Here is the color/material against the factory light gray interior
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P3310014

As stated before. all you do is pull out and then up on the plastic pieces to remove them. they are held on by 2 plastic snap screws which are not the easiest thing to remove.
here they are and the slot the go into on the plastic pillars:
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P3310010

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P3310011

Oddly enough on the back of the pillar it says this:
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P4010010

if you cant read it- "Cadillac products inc, part #..." do the caddy's share the same pillars as us?? STS maybe?

OK, here is the pillar removed. as you can see mine has the cloth sagging off it and a burn mark from my uncle when he owned the car 😠
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P3310012

Carefully pry out all the staples on the back side of the plastic and then peel off the old cloth. you will notice a nasty brown foam baked into the plastic. this needs to be removed so the adhesive will stick! i was able to get most of it off with just my fingernails and a knife, but if yours is stickier then you may want to try something like goo-gone.
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P3310013

next, cut the new cloth around the plastic so as to leave about 1/2 inch overlay on all sides. btw 1/2 yard is plenty to do both A-pillars twice, so if you screw up you have plenty more...maybe even enough to do the rear C-pillars too.

I started at the top and worked down, folding the sides over and gluing them as i went along. the fabric is pretty stretchy, and the adhesive i got doesnt set up too fast so i was ably to adjust it as needed to get rid of wrinkles.
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P4010011

The little vent just pops out. i actually broke off the little tab holding it in so i just spayed it with adhesive and it fits snug against the fabric.

here is the final product:
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P4010012

A few last word of wisdom; there are 2 tabs on the bottom of the pillar that just slide into the top of the dash. they are thin and fragile.
also, when reinstalling, it is easier to separate the pins into 'screw & tab' install the tabs on the car, then install the pillar with the screws in place.

the material feels so nice and it looks factory IMO. i was going to do fuzzy leopard print fabric, but im glad i stuck with the factory color wink
Matthew

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:48 pm

one more pic of it installed:
Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 P4010013

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Sweet! Nice pics and writeup. smile
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:45 pm

Excellent! That's a much better alternative to my trying to find ones in near perfect shape from the junk yards. Where did you get the new cloth from and did you see something beige?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 pm

we have a store down here called Joann's fabric. they had just about everything possible. they had black, brown and tan suede, but it was $22 /ft :shock:

Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Im Gonna Black Out My interior when i get Use Of My garage Back And can remove everything from My car
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 4:41 pm

IMO that does not look OEM/Original LOL

buuuttt....

Im in a similar boat, mine have grease and dirt soaked into parts of the pillars, and Ill prolly redo mine. ( I would like to do Leater/Vinyl)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 8:45 pm

for future reference - interior leather, vinyl and fabric is always available from GM *up to a point*

They almost always have it for cars 5 or less years old, and will continue to have it as long as they are using those same interior materials.

If anyone has a parts fiche set, the yardage is usually listed on the bottom of one or another in the model (G-body for us) set , under "out of fiche calls."  A parts counterperson who knows what he is doing can find it too - may have to ask at the dealer bodyshop.  That is, where does *the dealer bodyshop* get the yardage from.  Shame that GM quit cranking out fiches some years ago, like around 2004, it'd make things a whale of a lot easier.  

Anyway - Up to a certain point there is not that much variation in automotive interior materials like headliners, so don't be surprised to find matching stuff at JoAnn Fabrics or even larger Wal-Marts, but also don't be surprised to not find it (umm, due to the variation in materials and the fact that the buyer at the fabric store did not ask you what you wanted).

If you have time on your hands, it's not a bad idea to recover everything at once.  Once-and-done, so to speak.

The rear might be easier to mess with if you remove the rear seat first, which actually is not that hard.  The seat bottom is just clipped in place (if you feel the lower edge with your fingers you will find the attach points) and the seat back is held in with two (Count 'em! just 2) bolts.  Undo the bolts and lift up a little to get the wire at top of seat backs off the hooks.  Oh by the way once you have it out be careful about the exposed VERY SHARP edges, exposed wiring, and that big-behind battery.

By the way - I don't recommend you do this but I don't warn against it, either...  I made my Riv somewhat quieter by putting a piece of carpet padding under the back seat.  I used one of the kinds they put under commercial carpets that looks like about a 1/2" thick layer of matted cat fur and yarn scraps.  I made sure to keep it away from the wiring and the battery and not to block places where it's apparent the engineers were letting air flow under the seat to cool the electricals somewhat.  All that required was snipping some away.   SO it's at your own risk... but for me it's been in place for some years, I think 3 years now, and I'm pleased.  As always your mileage may vary and if you are unsure you can get that in there without causing a problem don't do it.

Albertj

[added 12/8/2016: Cadillac Products Inc. makes a lot of the clickety trim bits you find in automobiles. See http://www.cadprodauto.com/]

Last edited by albertj on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fix typos)
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

Name : Brandon

PostSubject: Write-Up: A-Pillar Gauge Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:04 pm

does anyone kno if the a pillar guage pods will fit on the riviera?

http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LOTEK-MC&Category_Code=INEX&Product_Count=7

or this one

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=661&catid=168
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

alright nevermind.

emailed zzp and they said they probably won't fit.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:58 pm

I had one from my local GTP buddies and held it in place, no it wouldn't fit.
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:35 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
I had one from my local GTP buddies and held it in place, no it wouldn't fit.

alright. mayb ill buy one after xmas and mod it a little to get it too fit or maybe fiberglass me a new one scratch

but anything would really look better then what i have now with the universal pod drilled on to it bonk
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 am

With the Riv pillars being upholstered, it makes me wonder if you couldn't just take the stock one in your car and pull all that fabric off. Then put a couple universal gauges on it and maybe fiberglass them on so it looks clean. After that get new fabric to reupholster. Might sound like a stretch but I think it could be done.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
With the Riv pillars being upholstered, it makes me wonder if you couldn't just take the stock one in your car and pull all that fabric off. Then put a couple universal gauges on it and maybe fiberglass them on so it looks clean. After that get new fabric to reupholster. Might sound like a stretch but I think it could be done.

This is pretty much exactly what i am doing..
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 12:24 pm

Can you still buy the a-pillar with fabric on it from gm? Does anyone have a part number for the fabric or a-pillar?

Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't know. I've searched walmart and no luck for the correct color match. Gonna try a fabric store next. Finally got the glue off the pillar with an sos pad. It may scratch it, but I don't care since it's gonna get covered anyway.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Pics of my newly started dual pillar pod installation.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Img2073i

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Img2072x

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

Lookin good. From the angle you have those pods, it appears that you won't be able to see them. That A-pillar trim is on a pretty good angle. Judging by that, they'll be pointing at the roof?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:28 am

I've already done premounting to get them in the best place for me. I couldn't find any other gauge pod to fit any better, but with the way they angle they should be ok.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Couple of pics of the gauge pods in the car.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Imag0063t

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Imag0059p

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

I stand corrected. Spose I was lookin at it wrong when it was on the bench. Looks good man. It'll look even better when you re-wrap that A-pillar piece happy Do you have the P/N's of the pod(s) you used?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Ya I had to put it in after yo u said something. I kept staring at it wondering if I messed it up, lol.

The pods I used are for the last generation Camaro/Firebird and I just cut them down more and more till they looked about right. The pod part number from Summit is ATM-10210.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:36 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
Ya I had to put it in after yo u said something. I kept staring at it wondering if I messed it up, lol.

LOL oops sry bout that

J. Chris Davis wrote:
The pods I used are for the last generation Camaro/Firebird and I just cut them down more and more till they looked about right. The pod part number from Summit is ATM-10210.

Thx thumbsup
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:37 pm

No problem. I was due for another test fitting anyway, lol.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Ok, just got back with my newly upholstered pillars. I think they turned out great. Here are some pics.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Imag0074md

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Imag0075x

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Imag0076t

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Imag0077g

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Imag0078x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next