Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods

Go down 
+31
stan
matt270avian
LaFlare
denim
ghpcnm
RoughNecks17
abaucom
robotennis61
Derek
Rickw
Abaddon
J. Chris Davis
98riv
T Riley
DEMonte1997
brmcm15
albertj
vendetta
SuperRiv07
deekster_caddy
turtleman
palermocorey90
Mr.Riviera
RhinoFLA
SpaceBar
Jack the R
97rivman
dreww
jax95riv
AA
Buapo
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't know. I've searched walmart and no luck for the correct color match. Gonna try a fabric store next. Finally got the glue off the pillar with an sos pad. It may scratch it, but I don't care since it's gonna get covered anyway.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Pics of my newly started dual pillar pod installation.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2073i

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2072x

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

Lookin good. From the angle you have those pods, it appears that you won't be able to see them. That A-pillar trim is on a pretty good angle. Judging by that, they'll be pointing at the roof?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:28 am

I've already done premounting to get them in the best place for me. I couldn't find any other gauge pod to fit any better, but with the way they angle they should be ok.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Couple of pics of the gauge pods in the car.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Imag0063t

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Imag0059p

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

I stand corrected. Spose I was lookin at it wrong when it was on the bench. Looks good man. It'll look even better when you re-wrap that A-pillar piece happy Do you have the P/N's of the pod(s) you used?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Ya I had to put it in after yo u said something. I kept staring at it wondering if I messed it up, lol.

The pods I used are for the last generation Camaro/Firebird and I just cut them down more and more till they looked about right. The pod part number from Summit is ATM-10210.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:36 pm

J. Chris Davis wrote:
Ya I had to put it in after yo u said something. I kept staring at it wondering if I messed it up, lol.

LOL oops sry bout that

J. Chris Davis wrote:
The pods I used are for the last generation Camaro/Firebird and I just cut them down more and more till they looked about right. The pod part number from Summit is ATM-10210.

Thx thumbsup
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:37 pm

No problem. I was due for another test fitting anyway, lol.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Ok, just got back with my newly upholstered pillars. I think they turned out great. Here are some pics.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Imag0074md

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Imag0075x

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Imag0076t

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Imag0077g

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Imag0078x

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Dude, that looks sweet! I'm assuming you sent them to an interior joint to have them upholstered? thumbsup
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Yes I had a local upholster do them for me. Only cost $75 for both pillars.

Here's some pics of my interior with the new upholstered A-pillars with gauge pod.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2081e

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2084d

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2086e

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2087o
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Couple of pics with them in the car and finished.

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2084d

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Img2087o
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Stupid question about A-pillar gauge electrical and lighting   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:03 am

I had a buddy help me wire the electrical for my a-pillar gauges a few years ago. The gauges weren't bad but whatever. I have a mechanical boost gauge on top, interceptor gauge in the middle and electric tranny temp gauge at the bottom. The boost and trans temp gauges are both autometer z-series gauges with identical face patterns and bezels. The bottom gauge has always been the brightest in terms of light, whereas the (boost) gauge on top is dimmer... Recently, I noticed the top gauge flickers all the damn time.

So I guess the stupid (drunk) question is... I have a wiring issue from the source to the top (boost gauge) that's making the flickering? Or do you think this is something else? lol To sound even more stupid.... possibly because the lower gauge gets juice sooner, the other gauge has always been dimmer because of that? Does that make sense?

I like to throw the stupid questions out there to make y'all feel better about yourselves.

This is for my Regal, btw. Don't want to rub anyone the wrong way being a non Riv question... oops frown

Hoping to take that sucker apart tomorrow.. gut the wiring and re-do it all. I don't think it was the greatest job to begin with. :/
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:43 am

Rick,
It sounds like the light bulb for the upper gauge has a bad ground. That would explain why it was dimmer than the other gauge, all gauges being equal of course. And would explain the flicker or it just could be a bad bulb or bulb connection.

When you remove them verify the ground wire is good before spending time on the power wire. Just my guess.
Also the way the wires are run cannot / should not have an effect on the lower one being brighter all this time, it could just be the gauge itself.
You will know more when you remove the gauges and see how good or bad the wiring is.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:10 pm

I agree with Rick. Check any splices and connections carefully, a bad splice or loose connection could cause the resistence to rise significantly, making the bulb appear duller. It could also explain the flickering as the problem grows worse.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Chris, do you have a William Ryan home? I swear your house looks exactly like my parents' house that was recently built.

That gauge pillar is just awesome!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 3:31 pm

whats up with the vintage gas pump in the background of the photo?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 5:07 pm

The garage is where the car is parked. There's no house there. The gas pump is fiberglass.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks for the insight guys. Rick was dead on but I also discovered a funny screw up on my end. I have the 5-point LED bulbs in these gauges to match factory lighting as close as possible. The bulb in the trans gauge was slightly different (no doubt a replacement on my end) and I never noticed that it was considerably brighter than the existing one in the boost gauge. rabbit So after re-wiring all the grounds and then replacing the bulb all the gauges match perfectly now with no flickering. happy
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 7:54 pm

So you had a successful day working on the car.

Now you can come to my place and do some gauge install after making a custom pod for me. How does that sound for fun times. Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Icon_smi
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:08 pm

I certainly owe you Rick but that whole custom a-pillar upholstry thing isn't my strong suit. lol smile
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
I certainly owe you Rick but that whole custom a-pillar upholstry thing isn't my strong suit. lol Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Icon_smi
Obviously I was kidding, but I'll keep my thinking cap on, or this a dunce cap. Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Dunce2
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:33 pm

clown joker smile
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Hey Chris, did you basically get a solid 2 gauge holder, trim down the bottom and glue it to the pillar? I kinda want to do a 3 gauge deal myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods   Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: A-Pillar Re-Upholstery & Guage Pods
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next