Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers

Go down 
+24
VJD2
Rickw
crlombardi69
Abaddon
98RIV7777
captshiner
Michael
ibmoses
Chicken
Supercharged
ewolfe0050
1998 Riv
dezorro
97rivman
dreww
turtleman
SpaceBar
deekster_caddy
98riv
Jason
Mr.Riviera
urbsnspices
AA
T Riley
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 10:38 pm

I used clamps to hold till I got to the muffler shop, then let them weld it in place for $20. They offered to do it for $15.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Good point Rick (for VJ). I currently have no cat or rear O2, so the install should be easy.

1.) Put headers on...
2.) Drive to exhaust shop making excessive noise...maybe a couple extra laps...
3.) Have 'em make flange on existing pipe and bolt...
4.) Done!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptySun May 23, 2010 10:51 pm

So, I put the headers on yesterday. Took about 4 1/2 hours to do. It took me more time I think to demolish my trans dipstick tube......had to bend the hell out of it to get it in the hole so my trans doesn't leak until I get the new one. Also had to add about a 1-1/2' of wire to the O2 sensor harness so it could plug in.....

After I got the rear manifold off, I was happy to find that the engine had the good steel gaskets on it, and in great shape, so now I can return the ones I bought happy
headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 100522_124733

IMO, the rear header was easier to remove than the front, mainly because of the accessibility from under the car. The front was a knuckle busting PITA. The studs on the passenger side are at a weird angle, and the socket kept wanting to slip off. All manifold studs, and the bolts holding the brackets on are 13mm, with regard to the EGR tube bolt and the trans dipstick hold down which are 10mm.
I was again impressed (and somewhat lucky), at how easily ALL the manifold studs came out.
I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted to because I was pressed for time. My boss let me use the shop after they closed, and he was kickin me out at 5. I just appreciate that he let me do it in the first place.....

headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 100522_142740
headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 100522_142717

The car didn't want to start at first, I think it was confused scratch
Once it started, I found that the EGR tube was leaking. I ended up cutting "that end" off the gasket of the gaskets that came with the headers....problem solved. After I fixed the EGR problem and got it runnin right, it smoked like crazy (which I expected). I followed the directions on the DEI header wrap paint can....let it warm up for 10 minutes, shut it down for 10, repeat. This was to properly cure the paint. Minimum cure temp is 400*, so the paint booth's 180* didn't cut it. After 24 hours, the smell is now gone....

The final result...
After resetting the fuel trims and driving to my buddy's shop to have the center pipe welded, I am extremely surprised to say that the headers are quieter than the stock manifolds were. I guess it's because of the wrap job (clap) and the better quality steel of the DP. All the sound is now out the back of the car. The tone changed as well. It's significantly louder at WOT, and the cruising drone got deeper and louder, which doesn't bother me. The power band is great, and the car gets moving it seems without hardly any throttle. It pulls, and it pulls hard(er) twisted
Last night, I just drove. This afternoon, I just drove. No plans, no destination, just the radio and my Riv with the new lungs wink.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm glad the install went well for you. Although I'm sorry you didn't pick up on the need to either buy an O2 extension harness (which I did) or have already made one to make the job go faster. I also had the luxury of buying a brand new dipstick tube and dipstick from GM prior to doing mine.
And you are able to validate what I've been saying since installing SSAC Headers on my car, that if wrapped properly they are QUIET and do not need anything more.
Although, I don't have any cruising drone at all.

Have you changed any part of the rest of your exhaust system aft of the Converter.???

I only installed the wrapped headers, downpipe and then installed the 3" Cat Conv. and welded to stock exhaust system. No highway or anytime drone.
Thankfully, cause i hate drone. That is what has stopped me from doing any additional exhaust mod's, is everyone talks of drone.
I like it quiet, unless of course I can hear the equivalent of a V8 muscle car from back in the day.
And we all know that ain't happening so I'll stick with what I have, short of installing some dual tips I bough almost 2 years ago.
Still need to cut my tailpipes and weld these in.
Anyway, congrat's on the successful install.
Rick
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am

Sure glad I waited to get the trans dipstick nono . I think it was harder to get that stupid lil 10mm hold down bolt in than it was the rear header. The space between the rear pipe and the bolt is nil. Anywho, Morad had one for $15 shipped.....So now I spose the job is "complete".
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: SLP Header Instillation Trouble   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Hey everybody I'm in need of some help! Early this morning I started installing my SLP Headers and I ran into a bit of trouble with the O2 sensors.

When installing the rear header, I mounted the front O2 sensor in the correct location but noticed that it's about a foot short of reaching the other plug in. When I received my SLP header kit, I received an extension for the rear O2 sensor only. Is there supposed to be an extension for the front O2 sensor? Did they send me the wrong extension in the kit? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:07 am

The included extension is meant to be used for the front O2 sensor, since many installations don't use the rear O2. You would only wire the rear O2 if you installed the optional high flow cat. Then you would need to buy an additional extension. The extension is made long, so it can reach either sensor.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptySat May 19, 2012 2:03 am

The included extension only hooks up to the rear O2 sensor, not the front one. They have different ends on them. That's the problem.. The extension won't work with the front O2 sensor.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptySat May 19, 2012 11:30 am

I used the extension for the front O2. I was able to use the stock wiring for the rear O2. The wiring should be the same.

I actually made my own extension.

But the rear O2 is behind the cat, which should not be changing location.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptySat May 19, 2012 1:08 pm

I used the provided extension for my front O2. Rear O2 is not connected.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptySat May 19, 2012 3:00 pm

I don't see how either of you used the extension for the front O2. If it's the same as mine, then it will only hook up to the rear O2.

They have completely different ends on them. The front O2 is flat four prong, while the back one is a square 2X2 four prong. The extension that came with my SLP kit is a square 2X2 four prong, and will only hook up to the rear O2 sensor.

This is what I've been trying to say. I need at least a foot long extension for the front O2 and it did not come with my kit. Only the extension for the rear O2 sensor was included, which I don't even need. Can I call SLP and just order a front O2 extension? I need help! I'm without my car until it's resolved.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptySat May 19, 2012 9:04 pm

I recall my front O2 sensor having a square plug. Maybe somebody changed that along the way?
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 3:10 pm

96's have the narrow plug with all four wires parallel. The 97+ have the square plug. I did not read all 12 pages but was there any additional issues with fitment on the 96? ZZP website says " Not recommended for 97 GTs with the 460 transmission because of tight clearances." So will there be problems with the 96 which uses the 460 ? And are the ZZP headers the same as the SLP's?
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 7:21 pm

man I can't wait till I find someone worthy and realistic on prices too install my new parts man its h gone be a new feel
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 pm

With the headers in the back is it hard to get too. Cause 400 dollars seems a bit stiff for an install with a shop
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Man wtf I went to everyone to try and get my headers put on they want to charge me 400 bucks and hold my car forever and a week I needs me a mechanic
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Many here have installed their own headers. If you don't feel it's something you can tackle, you're stuck with paying a shop. If they are all quoting about the same... that's likely the deal you'll find where you are. The cost is labor, it ain't cheap, and it's somewhat unpredictable if a shop hasn't done it on one of our Riv's before. They'll quote on the high side to cover if it takes longer than expected. Or, you could always ask for a time and materials job. But what's shop labor there? It can add up fast.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:35 pm

75/hour some are 100/hr I don't have the time to be laying on the ground but that's Louisa for ya they have no competition they charge on the high...everyone wants to take the motor out the car why
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 pm

That's about right. What's 6 hours of your time worth to you?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 pm

I work and go to school AA im just not seeing the luxury of six hours... that's trying too be greedy whats the easiest way to get the rears out ?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Hey, spring break is coming up isn't it? That would be a great time for mods, especially if you could get a day or two off. Let me know when you get around to it, I might snag your old DP/cat from you.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm

I dont have a down pipe or cat it's all str8 pipe im trying to get it done cause my inspection is up this month...being catless in Texas is 2Grand worth of fines
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 pm

Ah I see. I was just going off of your sig. Either way, I might still be interested in it since my car will be eligible for historic tags soon (no emissions or inspections needed).
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:14 pm

You have on board diagnostics systems in the car no matter how old the car might be
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Johhny5 have you fixed your other problems before you are going to introduce a new unknown to the equation? Sorry to have to ask but I haven't been able to keep track.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers   headers - Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing SLP Exhaust Headers
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next