Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

LIM coolant elbow!

Go down 
+34
bunchabuix
brutusk1
stan
96_Juggernaut
bmcd9179
joshuadalegrimes
96rivie
AA
charlieRobinson
DEMonte1997
1998 Riv
LARRY70GS
Natesriv
crstump
Dave1998riv
chitown_riv98
2000ws6transam
turtleman
robotennis61
96scriviera
Abaddon
Eldo
Rickw
BrianEsser
deekster_caddy
Nez
Jason
albertj
moldymac
Joby70739
BillBoost37
98riv
palermocorey90
T Riley
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Last time I had one that was broken off I had to go in with a 90 degree pick and scoop the chunks out. A huge PITA. Get yourself a good lit inspection mirror.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 12:50 pm

I'd bet that grey comes right out, it's just a silicon I'm sure.

Fun stuff, take off alternator and the tensioner...be ready for a big gush of coolant. But then you can just pop the elbow out,... I'd also take the supercharger belt off the pulley so it's not in your way

good luck!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Well, my worst fear is that I take it all off and clean that grey putty out and find out that the bore is too big and have to use sealant to make it work.

I am actually considering to just seal over whats there now. The elbow doesn't look bad, just the seals.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:

I am actually considering to just seal over whats there now.

Not a good idea, it'll never hold. There is no pressure on the surfaces of the seal to stop something from leaking by.

I guess it's worth trying, but don't expect it to work.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Why do you think the hole will be too big? What reason would someone have to alter the diameter?

My guess is, the grey stuff that's there is the result of someone trying exactly what you're thinking about doing - patching the leak from the outside.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

I know what you mean.. but..
Ok, what do you think would happen if I do extract the grey putty stuff and find the bore to be enlarged? Do I try to get a thicker O ring? Do I try to seal it? Either way, my main transport will be out of commission for longer than i'd like. I guess I should prepare with all back ups in mind before starting this, huh?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 4:03 pm

I'd think the chances of the bore having been enlarged are about 0.00 %.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 5:09 pm

I have an extra LIM I could sell if you get to that point. If someone did actually mess up the hole, I'd consider it damaged, and probably the reason for your leak.

Swapping out the LIM isn't to bad if it came to that, but I don't think it will. Anything is possible, but I agree with Dave - VERY unlikely.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 am

Ok. I will go all the way this weekend. I will definitely get a well lit inspection mirror. Thats for dang sure. Thanks for the pro tips, guys.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 3:08 pm

I sure suspect they just gooped around the part and put it in...It's hard to get any room in there to modify.

It's not too bad a job, sloppy, but doable with basic tools.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 pm

I am about to start this job first thing in the A.M. tomorrow. I was thinking about it today. What if that grey sealant stuff falls into the LIM? Am I proverbially FUCKED? Or can I find it floating in the coolant tank or?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Repeat after me: "I will not fear the 3800 supercharged engine."

"I will not fear the 3800 supercharged engine."

You can do this. Take your time.

Go in there and do what you have to. You won't screw it up because you know what you have to do, and you've got a good idea on how to do it. Now, GO AND DO IT.

Don't LET the grey stuff escape into the LIM, and if it does, make sure it's such a small amount that no one will ever know.

Ready. GO!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Had a late start today... so I might go for it tomorrow.. shut up! you all procrastinate too!

Anyways.. check this out. Robo mentioned this before. Tapping and fitting it with an NPT fitting but, how beautiful is this?!
LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 Fieroprogres598

Quote :
when we do the swaps we drill and tap that hole and install a 3/4 NPT fitthing and run the hose from that some others have built tabs to hold them in and some others block them off.
I would not recomend the block off we have tested one that was and the intake was almost 60 deg. hotter on that side than the other due to no flow.
you can just see it in this pic. I will say it is not easy to drill and tap because the hole is large almost an 1"
D.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/117445.html
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 3:16 pm

That is a beautiful engine, but the NPT thread doesn't add much, IMO. In a fiero, it might make sense for better exhaust and intake routing. For us, I don't see any advantage. The elbow isn't considered a serviceable part. But even so, it's pretty simple to replace - much simpler than drilling and tapping the LIM, which is aluminum, btw. Aluminum threads = soft, easily damaged threads. You could use a steel insert, but you have to ask: why?!!

The plastic elbow works fine the way it is. If you are paranoid, there's an aluminum version. I just don't see the point of altering the LIM for a zero gain. If you just replace the elbow, I doubt you'll never need to worry about it again.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 8:00 pm

No one told me I had to get that black bar off the alternator to get the alt off! jeez, what a headache. The old elbows came off with some 'convincing'. It was impossible to get all the grey sealant off so I did my best.

I saw chip marks around the LIM, i'd like to know how that happened. New elbows are in and the alternator is bolted back on. I lost a screw somehow that holds one of the coolant hoses on.. Not sure what I will do about that yet.

Im taking a dinner break now but after I will put the belt back on, fill the coolant, and power her back up. I swear to something if this does not fix my leak!!! Im gonna be PISSED.

that was a lot of work for a noob like me!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 10:10 pm

SUCCESS!!!
I found that last coolant hose mount screw inside a socket...

Anyways, I powered her back up. Crossed my fingers, toes, and eyes and turned the ignition!

Let her run for 15 minutes and did not see a leak anywhere!!! YES!

I notice my coolant res tank bubbling. Is that normal? Just air in the lines or what? After 15 minutes or so it did mild out so I'm guessing the air was flushed?

Also noticed that fat rubber tube that goes to radiator (next to intake air tube in the picture below) on the drivers side would collapse sometimes. Never saw it do that before!. Not sure what that was all about but it seems ok?

Anyways, HELL YEAH! NOOB SUCCESS PRIDE! YES! This is the biggest job I've done next to my shocks. Feels good!
LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 Imag0610
LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 Imag0611
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 am

The upper radiator hose compressing is not a big deal. Once the system has purged all it's air and is full of coolant it will stop doing that. It won't block flow because it's the upper hose, which forces flow through it when the thermostat is open.

I didn't see you mention bleeding the thermostat housing. You may want to do that next time you warm it up.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 pm

woah, what? Bleed the tstat housing? How/where do I learn to do that? Any links on here?
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

Name : drew
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:43 pm

where are the 3 bolts for the alternater on my 96? what size?, im so confused
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I winged it and unscrewed the screw above the tstat housing. The car was running and I wasnt sure if things were going to explode but I saw just a couple super tiny bubbles and that was it? Guess I got most of the air out last night. Cool.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 4:47 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
I winged it and unscrewed the screw above the tstat housing. The car was running and I wasnt sure if things were going to explode but I saw just a couple super tiny bubbles and that was it? Guess I got most of the air out last night. Cool.

it's that easy!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 5:38 pm

right by the bottle top in your pic...is the thermostat housing. You'll see a brass screw (flathead) on top of it. Warm up the engine, then when it's running, unscrew that screw a little bit until you see coolant come out (it'll be a small trickle)...then tighten it back up. You just purged the air out of the system at that point.

Easy brother! I just had to replace my elbow too recently (look for me in this post)..it wasn't too bad, but messy!

But it sure is nice to have NO LEAKS isn't it?

Now enjoy the riv!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Natesriv wrote:
right by the bottle top in your pic...is the thermostat housing. You'll see a brass screw (flathead) on top of it. Warm up the engine, then when it's running, unscrew that screw a little bit until you see coolant come out (it'll be a small trickle)...then tighten it back up. You just purged the air out of the system at that point.

Easy brother! I just had to replace my elbow too recently (look for me in this post)..it wasn't too bad, but messy!

But it sure is nice to have NO LEAKS isn't it?

Now enjoy the riv!

Got it. Thanks. In other news.. I think the upper manifold gasket is faulty. I am seeing some residue up top there. And goodness, that's a whole super charger removal job and other things I cannot comprehend at my level 3 noob status. dunce
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 10:20 am

actually I posted on that a few years ago...you'll want gaskets and a new s/c gasket. Not really too hard... get new rubber gaskets for the fuel injectors...

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Natesriv wrote:
actually I posted on that a few years ago...you'll want gaskets and a new s/c gasket. Not really too hard... get new rubber gaskets for the fuel injectors...

Ha! Easy for you to say! I am getting the shakes just thinking about putting a new SC hub and MPS on. I cannot imagine actually take the blower off the manifold!!! Seems like brain surgery from where I'm standing! But I am leveling up with each job, so I will get there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LIM coolant elbow!   LIM coolant elbow! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

LIM coolant elbow!
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next