Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?

Go down 
+26
th3fr4nchi5e
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
robotennis61
96_Juggernaut
deekster_caddy
LT1Squirrel
SCbuick010
Hometown Hero
BrianEsser
Eldo
turtleman
Its a car part now
mrod7510
Rickw
T Riley
Jack the R
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
AA
Mr.Riviera
TURBO87
BillBoost37
ericde
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Have you installed these kits on other cars.? If so, what kind of results did you get.
How high do you increase boost safely with Water/Methanol on the 3800 with Eaton SC. I've heard from the guys at Snow Performance to increase boost to 12-14 lbs and change spark plugs back to Stock Heat Range.? Do you agree.?
What about the negative effects of spraying water/meth on the SC rotors if any.?
Can you get me a copy of the installation instructions to review. they are not available on line, unless I missed something. Maybe you could email them to me??
Thanks,
Rick
Back to top Go down
Its a car part now

Name : Michael
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 10:10 pm

The rotors would not be damaged by the water or methanol. The coating is teflon, chemical resistant to almost everything. The problem is if the water/alcohol is injected in a high pressure jet it will peal the coating off like a pressure washer. If the nozzle creates a mist it will not damage the coating. The same rotors are used on the draw-through carb V8 kits from magnuson.
Back to top Go down
mrod7510

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

well okay, yes i have installed this item on many applications. Not a Riv or 3800 but same result will be aquired. Mainly for us at the shop we use a meth kit for.... Cooler temps.. more boost means hotter temps. That is my main goal as well with my Riv. Hot blower, no power>> as for me i will be leaving my 104s in with a 3.1 pulley and tune. my 3.4 pulley makes 10LBS exact.. cannot answer all your questions because i have not installed my pulley nor have i dyno tuned it yet. When i do ill have all the goodies for ya like air fuels across the board, boost, KR,if any and a run before and after the meth. I can tell you that there is 20 hp difference between my blower at operation temp and letting my car sit over night and dyno it when i walk in the door.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Hey mrod7510,
Do you have any info on your meth kit install yet?
And, what tuning software are you using for the Riv.?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 5:18 pm

I was under the impression that Water-Meth injection was OK with the GEN V because of the coated rotors.
Has been something I've been looking into off and on for month's.
In case I decide to add water-meth when and if I install the Gen V that I have.

Sorry, Travis - I keep posting in YOUR thread. And off topic to boot.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Our Gen III blowers have the coating as well. As far as I have read, the coating is what helps the M90 be as efficient as it is, and it's the fear of damaging it that makes water/alcohol injection questionable.

Australian performance site with info on the subject: http://v6supercharged.com.au/workshop.asp?ProjectID=8

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for that info.
I guess i was hoping Water-Methanol Injection would work as it is soo much easier and less expensive even with the new computer controllers that the water-meth industry has come out with.
Better left with the high compression naturally aspirated or centrifugal and turbo chargers.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 7:18 pm

If we could somehow figure out a way to inject into the manifold, after the blower, I could see this working. Would require a lot of drilling and plumbing, but maybe worth it?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 7:25 pm

I was thinking the same thing, and I have an L32 Intake Manifold to play with.
One of the distributors for Snow's Injection (the company i was going to buy from) is located a little further south of me.
Was considering going and visiting them and discussing the issue.
www.snowperformance.net

Have been looking at their Stage 3 System

Last edited by Rickw on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 pm

If spray pattern is not a factor, that should be doable. If it behaves anything like nitrous, it would be very hard to make it work well, based off of what I've read with GTP people trying.

I think what would scare me the most is if some banks get a lot more than others and then you have more potential for undetected knocking and stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeh, Nitrous is sprayed as a gas or at least in a more volatile nature. Not like water-meth which requires atomizing along with the air-fuel mixture.
So, I don't think Water-Meth would work good injected in the manifold. IDK for sure.
But the only water meth setups I've seen are injected into the airstream of a carburetored engine with a centrifugal blower.
Like an Aircraft Radial engine and even Turbine engine's, the flow of water-meth is directed into the compressor blades for better atomization before it enters the combustion chambers.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 7:54 pm

If you injected at 3 or 6 points (not yet sure where), so each cylinder could have somewhat equal amounts, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I also don't see why it would have to be atomized. The purpose is for the water to do two things:

1) cool the superheated air charge exiting the blower (an even better reason to inject after the blower, as an IC does), reducing knock.

2) absorb heat from combustion chambers as the water turns to steam, further reducing knock.

So, as long as the water gets in there somehow, it should work, imo. Monitoring KR levels while delivering more or less water to the different spray points should result in a solution that lowers KR levels overall.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 7:59 pm

That's why i want to go down and visit these folks.
Take a look at their Stage 3 system at the website i posted above and give me your thought's.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 8:45 pm

AA wrote:
Our Gen III blowers have the coating as well. As far as I have read, the coating is what helps the M90 be as efficient as it is, and it's the fear of damaging it that makes water/alcohol injection questionable.

Australian performance site with info on the subject: http://v6supercharged.com.au/workshop.asp?ProjectID=8
not the same coating.. I will be spraying a Wet shot THROUGH my blower cool like a boss of course
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks Travis

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Xlove

Can we kiss and make up, now !!!!!
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Rickw wrote:
Thanks Travis

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Xlove

Can we kiss and make up, now !!!!!

dunno
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 pm

98riviera98 wrote:
FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Noknow
Well then.....GFY
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Rickw wrote:
98riviera98 wrote:
FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Noknow
Well then.....GFY

I meant it like why not... in a good way...

I don't need to FM.... i have someone for that.. wink

love
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 9:10 pm

So do i, what a coincidence.
FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

OK, hope that's settled.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 9:14 pm

Rickw wrote:
So do i, what a coincidence.
FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

OK, hope that's settled.

Settled +
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Well, I'm relieved. I'm Sorry FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 587517
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Rickw wrote:
Well, I'm relieved. I'm Sorry FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 587517

Me 2. 3gears
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 12:49 am

heart heart heart .. boohoo boohoo .. heart heart heart

clap
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Anyone running Water/meth injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:45 pm

If so, what kit are you using, what other mods do you have and how do you like it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Sorry I didn't see this post before, thanks for moving it. I've been reading up on water/alcohol injection when used on the 3800 and there are plenty of people doing it. It's not something that requires precision placement.

Also, if you want to stay away from the methanol you can use denatured alcohol instead. It doesn't have the corrosive tendencies of straight methanol. Though a mix of 50/50 methanol will not eat the coating off your rotors either.

I'm seriously considering just purchasing a shurflo pump and building my own, injecting it before the TB for now and once I get the new engine built, spraying after the supercharger. I'll most likely run a mixture of distilled water and typical washer fluid.

Last edited by BrianEsser on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?   FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Water / Alcohol / Methanol Injection?
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next