Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Intake noise

Go down 
+5
albertj
ewolfe0050
jax95riv
BillBoost37
quickboat97
9 posters
AuthorMessage
quickboat97
Rookie

Name : Matt
Merit : 0

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 1:28 am

Let me start out that im pretty new this whole supercharger thing. Ive been toying around with turbo imports for a few years but decided it was time to get a more "mature" vehicle. I recently installed a throttle body spacer on my l67, in preparation for a smaller pulley, and ever since then i have been hearing a slight ticking noise coming from my sc. The noise seems to get faster the more gas i give the car and i have also noticed that the motor seems to be rocking a bit more than it used to. The car also seems to sort of pull weird when i let off the brake and keep my foot off the throttle. it sort of pulls and releases as if my tranny is slipping but once i get above ten miles an hour this stops and the shifts are still strong so i know it shouldnt be the transmision. If any one has any suggestions or ideas what the problem may be that would be much appreciated! im borrowing my friends trouble code scanner to see if that gives me any help but anything you guys have to say is gonna be much more informed than anything ill come up with!
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 6:54 am

Please fill us in on year of the car, last tune up, last time you cleaned the throttle body etc.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:29 am

Ticking could be from a bad plug wire and the noise you think might be coming from the S/C may be a tensioner pulley. The bearings in the tensioner and idler pulleys go out around 100k+. The S/C's rarely have issues like that. Like Bill said, we need more info please...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
quickboat97
Rookie

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 pm

ok, my friend and i ran a diagnostic on the car and it says that the engine is running lean. the car has 108k on it and i just replaced the tensioner pulley so that shouldn't be the problem. last tune up and oil change are unknown, i have had the car for only a couple weeks and have only put about 1k on it so far. the car does run fine in the higher rpms and only feels shaky below about 1300 rpms. it feels as if the car is about to stall but it only shakes back and forth and runs really rough. I dont understand how the motor isnt getting enough fuel, i doublechecked all the throttle body seals and everything checks out.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 12:10 am

If you think it's running lean you need to get a fuel pressure guage. If it reads low, start with the cheapest thing first fuel filter then fuel pump. If you have good pressure, you might want to clean the injectors.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 7:42 am

Also...please tell us the year of your car and the code.

I'm betting it's around 97 and the code is P0171...I'm guessing though and can't give you good advice w/o those pieces of info.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:34 am

Also check your motor and transmission mounts. Coincidental to all this is that your motor mounts may finally be giving out. If you have not looked at them before, you're in for a surprise even if they are good - not much rubber in those mounts. if they are bad you may want to get a used set (Ed Morad), fill them with polyurethane, then swap 'em. Use the search function on this site to find the write-ups, key word 'polyurethane' and 'mount.'

Albertj
Back to top Go down
quickboat97
Rookie

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 4:00 pm

i managed to fix the problem. There was a small piece of gasket near the botom of the blower inlet. I guess i just missed this this the first time i removed the throttle body. The small chunk was keeping the spacer from sitting flush with the sc and air was being sucked through this small gap and throwing off my air/fuel mixture. Very easy fix for something that was really making my car run terrible. Thanks for all the help
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Weird leak..   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:25 am

Hey guys I'm learning slowly about our cars sense I've had mine for only 4 months, so the lower intake gaskets, mine is recently warn out to the bone, I'm leaking oil from the drivers side, and anti freeze from the passenger side, and I'm only running about 3 to 4psi of boost. But what's weird is when I start it up, the car intake sounds like theirs water in it trying to suck in air. Which theirs not it just sounds like that when it's cold. And the antifreeze poors out of the intake gaskets like a mother.. But when it's all warmed up, no more leak and weird sound. I'm replacing these gaskets real soon. And I'm excited to do it, I just thought this is interesting what the car is doing..
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Merit : 54

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 3:38 am

The intake noise is normal on aftermarket ones, mine does it too. The gaskets probably are expanding when warm which is causing the leaks to stop.
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Really that's normal!! Wow that's weird lol. What is the noise?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Merit : 54

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Not sure what the noise is. Maybe Abaddon would know.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm not quite sure what it is. Mine does it too. I noticed it especially with the Air Intake mods I have. It sounds like a giant, hollow vacuum cleaner. I think it has something to do with the IAC being open, the Boost Bypass being open, and with the high idle on cold start in the morning, the air going in a giant loop around the system must just cause the noise. That noise is totally normal...

I'm sure having a GIANT intake leak doesn't help the noise either.
Get those Intake leaks fixed man. They can be devastating to your engine.
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Yea mines super loud in the morning too. It's normal
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks man I will! Idk how long they been ruined I bought the car 4 months ago, all the effects right now from it is low boost and rough idle, and all the leaks, what other things should I keep an I out for? I'm not blowin any blue smoke, so the engine is still in good shape I think.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Blue smoke isn't what you should be worried about. It's white smoke and a nice oil/coolant mix. If coolant mixes in with the oil, your main and rod bearings aren't going to survive long....
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Yah that's no good, we'll I have no white smoke, and I changed the oil 3k miles ago, and checke it the other day, it's still good, THANKFULLY, thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Intake noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intake noise   Intake noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Intake noise
Page 1 of 1