Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

SES light just went on...

Go down 
+2
1998 Riv
Chicken
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

SES light just went on... Empty
PostSubject: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 am

I changed my plugs and wires on Saturday, and changed my stock 3.8 s/c pulley to a 3.5. Everything was fine until this morning when I started the riv. The SES light came on. Everything feels and sounds fine....

any ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 9:46 am

First thing I'd do is recheck that all the wires are pushed on all the way, and on the correct plugs/coils. Doesn't the Aeroforce read codes? Need to know what code was thrown.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 9:53 am

I haven't installed the Aeroforce yet...I was going to do that this weekend.

I'll recheck to make sure the boots are all the way on. I know the wires are correct because I replaced the wires one at a time as I installed the new plugs.

If I tell my wife the car has an SES light on now after I did these mods, shes going to cut my balls off...
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 am

You can get the codes read for free at most of the chain auto parts stores.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 12:10 pm

seems to happen frequently after plug changes. It's usually misfire from bad wires or not hooked up properly. I've also seen a few cases of cracked plugs...
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 1:02 pm

I'm betting I didn't get some of those boot on in back all the way....

wouldn't you be able to hear or at least feel a missfire?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 1:25 pm

not necessarily, maybe only 1 is affected.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Okay...I temporarily hooked up the Aeroforce gauge....this thing is awesome!!! No misfires on all cylinders, but...

Its putting up code P0141
O2 sensor heater circuit malfuntion, Bank 1, Sensor 2

Now what does that mean?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 5:59 pm

It means you bumped/loosened the o2 sensor heater wire, or that coincidentally it just failed. I'd bet on the wire. There is a front and a back o2 sensor, just start at the exhaust manifolds aond work backwards, you will find a front one and a rear one. Check wires for breaks; check connectors for failure (cracking, dirt).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 pm

could a spark plug wire crossing the O2 sensor harness trigger the code?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:58 pm

I doubt it would interfere. Albert is probably right about the loose wire.

About misfires, I have never picked up even a single one. I think your engine really has to miss bad before the PCM notices it.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 am

Where is the bank 1 O2 sensor located? on the manifolds? is there a pic available?
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 9:23 am

Look over your rear valve cover and straight down to the manifold. That's sensor 1.

BTW, a plug wire touching the O2 sensor wiring will cause issues with hwo the engine runs etc.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 am

BillBoost has a good point, the current of the signal from the o2 sensor is not real high, would be easy to induce a signal by crossing the wires.

I'd see that the plug wires are on good, make sure the o2 sensor wire is not broken, and make sure it is not crossed with a plug wire - then if you have the right tool, clear the codes.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:05 pm

I've actually seen it cause the engine to stutter and act stupid. One of the first things I typically suggest if an engine is running poorly is double checking wires 4 and 6 to ensure they aren't touching.

If you guys had Bonnies, the second thing would be corrosion at the battery terminals alien
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:09 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:
I've actually seen it cause the engine to stutter and act stupid. One of the first things I typically suggest if an engine is running poorly is double checking wires 4 and 6 to ensure they aren't touching.

If you guys had Bonnies, the second thing would be corrosion at the battery terminals alien

Damn it....
when I replaced my wires last week I rerouted 2, 4 & 6 through that hole in the back bracket that supports the engine cover....
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Hang on.. (don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to word it to make the point really clear to all)

You routed a high voltage conducting wire through a grounded metal bracket where it can rub and touch the grounded bracket?

it takes almost nothing for a good system to toss the spark right through the wire coating and arch on any metal of the engine. This is why we have so many wire loom pieces in the back of the engine. It's torture to properly replace the wires, but it can save you a lot of diagnostic time later.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 3:52 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:
You routed a high voltage conducting wire through a grounded metal bracket where it can rub and touch the grounded bracket?

Pffffffft....no.
I routed 3 high voltage conducting wires through a grounded metal bracket where it can rub and touch the grounded bracket....

I'll change it this weekend....

and speaking of wire loom...does anybody know where to get good wire loom? I bought some at Advanced Auto and it melted....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 4:00 pm

I use the basic split-loom you get at AZ. Works as well as any other. Now it melting... that's a different issue entirely. I don't know that any one type is more resistant than another on that issue. I'd look for the heat source and move it away... wink
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 4:12 pm

the original spark plug wires had about a foot of wire loom on each end to protect it from the manifold heat. I replaced it with the cheap advanced auto parts loom and it melted...I think its made from a different material
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 pm

...and by wire loom, I mean this stuff:

SES light just went on... Wireloom
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 pm

yeah, I use that stuff too. Moroso makes some boot protectors but they are big and pricey. More like if you have headers... Mine doesn't melt. What are you doing wrong?? wink

I use the smallest stuff that will fit over the wires. I just cover the wires at the points where they cross with other wires or run near metal brackets. I still have my OEM wires and they are doing just fine... but they are all loomed up...
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:57 pm

it didn't actually melt...it just got really hot and opened up (like a flower) 5 inches or so from the boots up....the wires were totally exposed....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 9:31 pm

that's about how far the moroso stuff will cover. I'll see if I can find it.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 am

I've melted some before..Even the factory stuff will usually melt over the rear exhaust.

Chicken.. any luck on the issue?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SES light just went on...   SES light just went on... Empty

Back to top Go down

SES light just went on...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next