Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change

Go down 
+43
IFallsRon
Tajis
rivierafrenchboy
rk0ehn
robotennis61
werdstrave
manofmany
charlieRobinson
BMD
dtrumbo
DEMonte1997
BlownRiv
BKRIV
Jason
L67
Bawb2u
playa
LARRY70GS
moldymac
beninohio
BatMobile
Ash
flyineagle96
albertj
VJD2
Eldo
Cam
Rickw
Abaddon
Mr.Riviera
96RIVMANN
ibmoses
98riv
captshiner
deekster_caddy
lionfish
SpaceBar
Buapo
dreww
turtleman
pwmin
AA
SoCal Riv
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm changing my fluid/filter every 25k miles now, and based on what I read at Jason's link, I'm glad I started doing it.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Bawb2u
Rookie

Name : Bawb
Merit : 0

transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 1:45 am

Thank you all for the timely, incisive and all encompassing posts and links. Not knowing the original owner of the car and having no way to know it's maintenance history, I guess I'm going to have to do a little research. I'll call the dealer to find where the transmission numbers might be and go from there on that end, After reading all the posts and linked threads, I have to say there seems to be a more compelling. argument for it than against it.

albertj, thank you for the time and effort put into your post and your "I suggest" summation. It gives me a good plan of attack.

EDIT: Looks like I know what to look for, now just need to figure out where to look for it. happy

http://www.gmtuners.com/gmtransinfo.htm
"GM FWD Torque Converters

GM uses the same type 4-digit ID method of identifying FWD torque converters as with the RWD units, however the digits have different meanings. All 125-C, 440-T4, 4T60, and 4T60-E transmissions use the same style torque converter, and they are interchangeable before 1996. 1996-up converters are built to be compatible with GM's PWM TCC apply strategy which means that you can use the newer converter on the older trans, but not the older converter on the newer trans.

1st Digit (application trans)

* F -- 125C, 440-T4, 4T60, 4T60-E (245mm)
* J -- 4T65-E HD (258mm)"

EDIT: I guess it won't be that hard to figure which transmission is in the car after all.

http://www.donneysaab.com/FDT/transIDgm440Eidpics.html#Cover
Back to top Go down
BlownRiv

Name : Name
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:03 am

I did a transmission filter/fluid change on a 4T60E that had over 300,000k the only thing it did was make the tranny feel smoother. Considering the car was driven for another 100,000 after that and was sent for scrap with a working tranny I don't think anyone is going to have an issue. I was told by a family friend to change your transmission fluid and filter once a year and you will never have a problem. I believe this guy because of the crazy miles he gets out of his vehicles.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 pm

I just did mine last night. What a nightmare because the ZZP gasket I purchased a long while back didn't work.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=638&catid=103

Looking at the product description, I notice that they altered it to say only 1998+ cars now.

Well here's the skinny: Everything went smooth... It was almost scary how easy this was. And then it happened... realized the holes in the washers of the new gasket were too small to accommodate the bolts. So I did what any retarded DIY mechanic would. I dremeled them into larger holes to make room for the bolts. Worked like a charm even though it made a 20 min job into 2.5hrs. Oh well.

Fluid was dark. Bit of metallic (fine) on the magnet but it wasn't terrible. Hoping this change will make the trans happy for another 30,000 miles. Trans seems to shift more firm yet smooth now. Probably just in my head. hahaha
Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

Name : Douglas

PostSubject: temp   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 am

Do any of you know what the transmission pan bolts have to be torqued to?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: temp   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:16 pm

dtrumbo wrote:
Do any of you know what the transmission pan bolts have to be torqued to?

IIRC it's very very low, something like 120 in-lbs or around 10 lb ft. Use a 1/4 drive ratchet if you don't have a small torque wrench so you don't overtighten. They are steel bolts into aluminum threads, very easy to strip.
Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:41 am

So with a 1/4 in drive ratchet would i tighten them untill they felt snug or untill i couldnt move them without.putting my shoulder into it? I am very broke (daughters birthday) and i have the fluid to change it but not refill it ajd change it.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 am

dtrumbo wrote:
So with a 1/4 in drive ratchet would i tighten them untill they felt snug or untill i couldnt move them without.putting my shoulder into it? I am very broke (daughters birthday) and i have the fluid to change it but not refill it ajd change it.

Snug them up. That's it. Do not put your shoulder into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Okay. Thanks
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 9:55 pm

This write-up is great and can stand alone as clear instruction on how to do this, but visuals can't hurt. Here are a couple of videos I found. I wouldn't necessarliy do everything the way this guy does it, so heed Matthews advice in the write-up itself.
PART1

PART2

Last edited by BMD on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I am about to change my filter and fluid. I want to make sure of a couple of things. The filter on my 4t60e has a small stub on one end and it will be easy to find where and how to place it. How far do I hAVE to push it in, and how will I know when it is far enough?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 10:20 pm

First, put a little trans fluid around the outlet tube, then insert the filter snug.

Everyone will do this differently, but what I do is place a hydraulic jack on the ground under the trans with the filter inserted into the hole and in position. Place a thin block of wood on the jack pad and raise it up until it meets the filter. Now, GENTLY raise the jack and pay close attention to the filter going in - it should slid in very easily. You'll see when the filter is all the way in. STOP and release the jack. Rotate the filter into position if needed. Reinstall the pan.

PS - watching the videos above shows why you want to do this yourself. There's no way I'd let that guy touch my transmission!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:44 am

AA wrote:
PS - watching the videos above shows why you want to do this yourself. There's no way I'd let that guy touch my transmission!

Right, the videos were ment purely as a visual reference to what Matthew describes, not as a step by step according to this guy. I would especially avoid taking out the seal the way he did.
Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 2:32 pm

I changed the fluid and filter in my car and my wifes (same transmission) and it seems to still be acting up. But it was leaking fluid at the pan because of the crappy cork gasket. So it needed that. I dont suspect the filter was clogged because there wasnt any fluid being held back when i pulled the filter out. Unlike my wifes car. My riv.keeps itself in the tork converter gear and the gears only engage when i am accelerating or going up a hill. When the transmission gets up to operating temperature it will swith to the next gear way too soon and the tork converter doesnt engage properly. ( the motor bogs down like the solenoid is stuck on when you come to a stop but it does ebentually engage and will not stall)
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:18 pm

I believe the 1996 transmission uses a vacuum modulator. Check that. If you find any fluid on the vacuum side, the modulator is bad. Make sure the modulator has a leak free good vacuum supply.

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 11:39 pm

I am approaching 70,000 miles. When should I service my transmission? Am I late?

As always, thank you! bow
Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 am

That depends on the driving conditions. "easy" driving would include grandma driving the car in relatively flat areas with few or no hillbclimbs or towing and wouldnt require service for at keast 120,000 miles. Heavy and frequent hill climbs or towing, racing and such would require service at around 40,000-50,000 miles. You can do something called a drop test on your fluid to see what condition it is in. You just drop a single or couple drops on a paper towel and if it spreads really far, is black, or smells burnt (or all three) it probably needs a good service.
Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
I believe the 1996 transmission uses a vacuum modulator. Check that. If you find any fluid on the vacuum side, the modulator is bad. Make sure the modulator has a leak free good vacuum supply.
i just changed the modulator but the T connector it goes into is a little worn out and slips off pretty easily. So that would make sense i will look into that. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 11:49 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
I am approaching 70,000 miles. When should I service my transmission? Am I late?

As always, thank you! bow

When I bought my Riviera, there was 86,000 on the odometer. I changed my fluid then. I found about a teaspoon of metallic muck stuck to the magnet in the pan. Cleaned it off and changed the fluid and filter. I have done that 3 times total, and the car now has 136,000 on it. In subsequent fluid changes, I found next to no metallic residue in the pan. Transmission has, and still does, shift mint. No, it is not too late unless you are having shifting problems, and/or the fluid is burnt.

Back to top Go down
dtrumbo

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I checked the t connector that the vacuum modulator goes into and it had a big split in it. I hope thqt fixes the shifting. I put electrical tape over it for now i will buy another connector when i get paid
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:56 pm

My first fluid change came at 80k, then every 40k after until the rebuild at 151k. Now I change every 25k or once per year. That's obsessive, but I also know the transmission is the weak link, and I abuse mine a lot. Plus my car has high miles. The transmission is expensive to fix when it brakes, so the changing the fluid is a kind of insurance. For people who drive the car reasonably, I think every 50k is a fine.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Roger that, I will add it to my list of things to do!

List of things to do rockets
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 9:05 pm

What kind of fluid is everyone running? From the research I've done, it shouldn't much matter. I'm planning on using Super Tech Dexron VI for $4/qt as it comes from Warren Distribution, which holds a license.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't think it makes that much difference what fluid you use. Synthetic will withstand higher heat, but any name brand Dexron fluid will do the job. Changing it at regular intervals is what is important.

Back to top Go down
werdstrave
Enthusiast
werdstrave

Name : Drew
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Hey guys, great thread. My transmission has been hesitating when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I read this thread and think I'm going to tackle it myself. Just wanted a quick response on what fluid / filter kit to get and from where. Does synthetic vs. non-synthetic matter as it does for oil in high millage cars? Autozone / Napa / Advanced Auto / Walmart are right down the street from me so if I could go there that would be best. I have a 95. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change   transmission fluid - Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write Up: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next