Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

boost controller ?

Go down 
+2
T Riley
96rivgirlla
6 posters
AuthorMessage
96rivgirlla
Amateur

Name : magen
Merit : 0

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Hello,

does anyone know if you can effectively install and use a boost controller on the 3800 sc? I know how it works with turbo but not with supercharge.... anyone?? idea
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 3:14 pm

ummm i like to control mine through a Modular pulley system.........
www.smoothflowpulleys.com just get a 3.6 inch and you'll up your boost and go FAST..........
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Yep, that's pretty much the answer. I like the Pulley Boys MPS myself. Many like the ones from Intense Racing or ZZPerformance.
Back to top Go down
96rivgirlla
Amateur

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 2:03 pm

so getting a smaller pulley is more effective at upping the boost or is that just the only way to up it? basically, what if i did have my pulley smaller and still wanted to up boost a couple pounds or so.. would it be possible to install a boost controller or ?.... ?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Since a blower is mechanically driven by a belt, swapping pulleys effectively replaces the function of a boost controller. Pulleys are very precise, too. You gain about 1 PSI for every .1" drop in pulley diameter. Stock is 3.8", so going to 3.6" you would gain about 2 PSI all other things being the same. So there is no boost controller for a supercharged engine because swapping pulleys is easier, cheaper, and does basically the same thing.

See this thread for more info: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/smaller-sc-pulley-t3656.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 pm

The only thing a boost controller might be able to do is manipulate the BBV which is already allowing maximum boost mechanically possible at WOT. Only thing you can really do is modify the BBV to close sooner as throttle is applied to make boost a tiny bit faster. The improvement is barely noticable and won't really make it any faster. If anything it will hurt fuel economy. I have even braced the valve closed so it is already in boost status at all times and I noticed a little bit snappier throttle responce but no more boost or power, plus that's obviously not supposed to remain closed all the time. Don't even bother trying it.
Back to top Go down
96rivgirlla
Amateur

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 6:57 pm

thanks all for the input - i guess smaller pulley... but smallest i wanted to go was 3.4... which would put me at what - 10 pounds of boost? (if im correct in saying stock is 6psi) so 15 would be un -do-able? would i have to get a computer program to make it higher?
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 7:51 pm

96rivgirlla wrote:
thanks all for the input - i guess smaller pulley... but smallest i wanted to go was 3.4... which would put me at what - 10 pounds of boost? (if im correct in saying stock is 6psi) so 15 would be un -do-able? would i have to get a computer program to make it higher?

these blowers run most efficiently at about 13-15lbs of boost max.
the more boost you have though, the more knock you have - which is bad. Knock blows up motors if you didn't know.

you need to modify your engine to run a smaller pulley. Smaller pully's bring in more air, but you need to open up your exhaust to get that air out and run rockers or a cam so the motor can process that air better. you also need to tune in more fuel to burn with that extra air and even get bigger fuel injectors. as you do these things you actually lose boost - which isn't a bad thing. The more boost your car runs, the more restriction is there causing it.

for reference, I get about 10psi running a 3.25" pulley. but my exhaust is opened up, my blower is ported allowing less restriction and Ive got rockers allowing the valves in the heads to move more air.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 8:27 pm

Do NOT put a 3.4 pulley on an otherwise unmodified engine. You are asking for trouble. Start with a 3.5 and an MPS with a lot of pulley options.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

boost controller ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: boost controller ?   boost controller ? Empty

Back to top Go down

boost controller ?
Page 1 of 1