Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

PROCHARGER QUESTION

Go down 
+4
deekster_caddy
EASHER
8 posters
AuthorMessage
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

PROCHARGER QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 am

Has anyone here made a switch to a Procharger?
I have read some very impressive things about these self contained superchargers.
I am interested in getting opinions about using one of these on a 98 Riviera.
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:55 am

Don't believe anyone here has played with that idea, just Gen V swaps and turbo setups. You might find some info on 3800pro.com though, that would relate directly to a Riv application.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 am

I've often though of using a procharger or other centrifugal supercharger to assist the guys with a 95sc. Since the m62 can't be lifted for the fitment of an IC, the snout could be taken off, a block-off plate and IC slid into the casing, and a centrifugal supercharger added in where the snout was. I figure I could fab up a block off plate that is also the mount for the centrifugal supercharger. Maybe something for me to try when I run into some more money, or run out of things to do to my 95...

Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 11:45 am

It would work, and require some tuning, and allow for the addition of a 'real' intercooler. You'd just need the intake from a non-SC car, and appropriate bracketry. Not sure where you'd put the MAF, before or after the SC. I would guess before.

You can do a lot with the M90 though, so people haven't really invested much in the procharger. A turbo has as much or more potential for probably similar costs. (How much would a procharger kit cost?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 12:08 pm

I'd never think about it if I had the m90 and series 2. But the series one falls on its face in the upper RPM and has more low end torque then it knows what to do with. Using a centi and intercooler would redistribute that power to match up better with a series 2. But for the price, i think there are better things that can be done with a series 2 SC engine..., or for the price, i could just swap to a series 2.....

Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 12:36 pm

actually, heres another reason not to work with it when you already have a roots blower:

From wikipedia on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_type_supercharger
"Since it is crankshaft-driven and cannot benefit from a device like a wastegate on an exhaust-driven turbocharger to control its rotational speed, its boost threshold is always within a thousand or so RPM of redline. As such, the horsepower rating of the engine is greatly increased, but in a small part of the upper RPM range."

I'm not sure its worth scraficing our wide power band for HP you can make with an m90 and series 2 engine...

and edit again... been thinkng about this all day and doing some research when I should be working. Alot of problems with the procharger is using them on applications where the engine was not designed for any kind of boost. I'm not sure our engines would have much problem with the transition. once my 95 is done to the tits, and is (maybe)not a daily driver I'm for sure going to try a procharger D1SC. Making a custom intercooler insert for the roots SC housing is no problem for me, and neither is making the D1SC mount where the roots nose used to be. but theres other things in the near future first, like rockers, an electric cutout, AC delete, and trying to custom fit the electric WP to a series one engine....

Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:51 am

A few years back my company built intercoolers for procharger, I have since read many things about them both good and bad...I will say this, from my experience with them, they seem to only buy the cheapest components to put into their product to maximize profit...that said you get chinese bearings and castings from india or some other third world company, we were practically giving the intercoolers to them at cost and they still managed to find something cheaper. IMO our stock units have them beat hands down.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:58 am

BKRIV wrote:
A few years back my company built intercoolers for procharger, I have since read many things about them both good and bad...I will say this, from my experience with them, they seem to only buy the cheapest components to put into their product to maximize profit...that said you get chinese bearings and castings from india or some other third world company, we were practically giving the intercoolers to them at cost and they still managed to find something cheaper. IMO our stock units have them beat hands down.
Well, considering all that, I would not buy nor recommend a Procharger.
Skimping on Castings and Bearings (especially bearings) does not produce a reliable supercharger in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:38 am

Quality product or not, a centrifugal type blower is the least efficient at creating low-end torque - by design. The HP curve is extremely linear, but at an angle. It builds on the the top end like a turbo, but it's not as efficient as a turbo, so the gains are less. A roots blower is much flatter, producing lots of torque down low, and a whipple twin-screw is the same except making much more power all around.

On the bright side, centrifugal blowers make a loud, higher-pitch sound, like a turbo. It's been compared to an F15 fighter taking off.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Centrifugals are best for the lightweight (compared to a riv) cars that have motors with a decent amount of torque without a power adder. They add a lot of top end power and don't have any terribly detrimental affects to off the line power because there's already plenty for the car. Think of a 5.7L camaro or a 5.0 powered mustang. Those, for instance, respond wonderfully to that style supercharger. Go to a slightly heavier car with less low end torque such as a 95+ mustang with a 4.6L and you see how many more upgrade with roots and twin screws.

Bottom line - we can really use the low end we have and there are no available CSC kits for our cars right now so that would make the install a little bit complicated, although not out of the question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PROCHARGER QUESTION   PROCHARGER QUESTION Empty

Back to top Go down

PROCHARGER QUESTION
Page 1 of 1