Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. Empty
PostSubject: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm trying to determine if the whirring noise I am hearing at idle and at low speeds is a normal supercharger sound, or if it is the alternator making this noise.
I am aware the supercharger does make some noise, a whining noise when you are getting on it, but at idle should I be hearing anything at all from it? The gears?
When I first looked at the car, my first reaction to the noise was that it was the alternator.
In watching and listening to the videos on YouTube from other Riviera owners, I do hear what I think is the noise I am referring to.
(If the guy who did the 0-100 video is on this board, that was awesome.)clap

I intend on using a stethoscope I have to locate exactly were the noise is coming from, but thought I would get some advice as to what is considered normal beforehand.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:52 pm

The SC should be pretty quiet at idle. I'd suspect something else, like alt or pwr steering pump as possibilities.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:07 pm

My alternator made a whining noise before it nearly failed at around 30k miles. The diagnosis was made by touching the unit by hand. If it's very hot, it indicates a mechanical (bearings) problem.

This could also be an idler or tensioner pulley going out. How many miles are on the car?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:34 pm

AA wrote:
My alternator made a whining noise before it nearly failed at around 30k miles. The diagnosis was made by touching the unit by hand. If it's very hot, it indicates a mechanical (bearings) problem.

This could also be an idler or tensioner pulley going out. How many miles are on the car?

The car has 192,000 on it. afraid I still haven't gotten used to the fact that it is not uncommon these days for cars to accumulate 200,00 miles and still be perfectly fine with many miles left in them.

I do have one idler pulley that chirps, that will be taken care of shortly.
I'm leaning towards my first impression that it's the alternator making this sound.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Take care of the pulley soon. They don't last very long after they start making noise. At your mileage, all of the idler and tensioner pulleys should probably be replaced. Most of our cars experience at least one pulley failure between 85-100k miles. I've seen 3 separate pulley failures on my car over 170k miles.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

PostSubject: Re: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 4:00 pm

AA wrote:
Take care of the pulley soon. They don't last very long after they start making noise. At your mileage, all of the idler and tensioner pulleys should probably be replaced. Most of our cars experience at least one pulley failure between 85-100k miles. I've seen 3 separate pulley failures on my car over 170k miles.

Will do.
I plan on replacing the rest of the pulleys next summer when I thoroughly go over the car replacing belts, hoses and other routine service items.

My parts list keeps growing. read

cheers
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Sweepspear wrote:

(If the guy who did the 0-100 video is on this board, that was awesome.)clap
holmdude?? if so that is "I"
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.   Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal. Empty

Back to top Go down

Trying to discern normal noises from abnormal.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: