Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Door Marker Lens Custom Fix

Go down 
+10
T Riley
99Rivman
Shintsu
deekster_caddy
1wickedninja
curious riv
mdhall1
IBx1
SToP
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Door Marker Lens Custom Fix Empty
PostSubject: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:20 pm

So I recently closed my door with my snowbrush sticking up at an odd angle and smashed out a part of that red lens that is on the corner of the door.

Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0690

Not wanting to attempt to find the fiddly bit at a wreakers someplace, I decided to give a try at making a new lens. I started by getting the rough dimentions what the lens would be if it were streached out flat. Then I cut out two pieces out of 1/8" plexi-glass and marked out a radius on each end that would match the shape of the grooves in the door.

Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0691
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0692

By very carefully adding some heat using a propane torch, I got it so one half was slightly soft. Remember to not let the flame actually touch the plexi-glass as this will cause bubbles. Then I carefully pressed the soft end of the piece against the curve shape of the other door, being careful to only handle it by the edges. The piece will cool after holding it there for 5 min or so.
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0693

Then I chipped away the rest of the red lens stuff. I could have spent more time getting all the little bits, but I did this in an afternoon and because that part was to be painted over anyway I wasn't as careful as I could have been:
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0696

Then I test fitted the bent plexi-glass to the back shell from the orgional fixture:
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0697

Once I was happy with the fit it was off to the sandblaster for frosting both sides:
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0698

Next I added a coat of chrome spray paint to the insides of the fixtures(can't tell that its chrome in the pic):
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0699

Then I epoxyed the shaped plexi-glass to the fixtures and left to dry:
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0700

Next I masked off a stripe down the length of the lens(nevermind the glowing pic):
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0701

SEVERAL coats of black spray paint later:
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0755

And a bunch of coats of clear-coat on top after removing the masking tape:
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0756

Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0757

Installed:
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0759
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0761
Door Marker Lens Custom Fix IMGP0765

Enthusiast

Name : Rob
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Woah! That's unlreal!

Nicely done!

I have to admit, I was a bit wary at the beginning of the thread but that turned out extremely well!
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:02 pm

Sick. Nice mod!
Back to top Go down
mdhall1
mdhall1

Name : Matt
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:56 pm

Looks great!
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 9:17 am

That looks perfect. Nice job!!! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 10:19 am

good job man looks good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Nice custom work! Good idea!
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey, for a minute there I thought we had the same courtesy light (or whatever that thing that is blue on yours is called). Mine however alternates from all different colors (Red, green, violet, umm not sure what else lol I hardly pay attention to it anymore but it's pretty cool). Not bad looking at all though.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies... I might give the corner lights a try with blue leds... though they probally won't diffuse as nicely....

Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 7:17 pm

SToP wrote:
Nicely done!
mdhall1 wrote:
Looks great!
curious riv wrote:
Nice job!!! thumbsup
1wickedninja wrote:
good job man looks good!
deekster_caddy wrote:
Nice custom work! Good idea!
agree
WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 pm

wow at first i was like PATHETIC gonna look horrible.....

WELL I THOUGHT WRONG... AWESOME MAN
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
dscott2000
Enthusiast
dscott2000

Name : Scott
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 4:15 am

AWESOME!! I think I may try that in my 90! Looks sweet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3061543
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 6:14 am

Shintsu wrote:
Mine however alternates from all different colors (Red, green, violet, umm not sure what else lol I hardly pay attention to it anymore but it's pretty cool).

shocked We need pics, now. That sounds like the coolest thing ever...do you know who put that on?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 am

IBx1 wrote:
Shintsu wrote:
Mine however alternates from all different colors (Red, green, violet, umm not sure what else lol I hardly pay attention to it anymore but it's pretty cool).

shocked We need pics, now. That sounds like the coolest thing ever...do you know who put that on?
lol, it was a bulb I bought at Autozone forever ago for like $10 or $15. They don't carry them anymore (figures). Here's a pic showing it with one of the colors (you can barely see it, but it's a whitish blue turning into violet):
Spoiler:
I used to have a video of it somewhere but I dunno where it went dunno. Maybe I'll take one later today.

Last edited by Shintsu on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 am

Nice. I wish they still had them...if I get around to it I'll look on Amazon or something for it.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 10:13 am

Aha found it. Knew I had it somewhere.
Changing door lights
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Haha, cool! Did you have to open up the door panels to put those in? I don't think I'm ready to do that just yet(at all).
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 11:19 pm

Nah, the covers pop off. My dad actually put them in - trust me he wouldn't have taken the door panels off he would've taken the bulbs back if it required all that work.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Hmm...I'll look into it when it's not THREE DEGREES OUT. Haha, I hate this kind of cold...
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 12:10 am

three degrees? thats warm. I got 30 below, and tomorrow i get about 50 below.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 12:48 am

I hear that on the cold. Normally experiencing 30 degree temperatures here but our high for today is 19 degrees and the low is 1 degree with wind chill expected to reach well into the negatives. For around here, that's ridiculously cold! I need to mock mount my new tips that came in today but uh, yeah I scrapped that idea in favor of not turning into a snowman under the snowfall...
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 9:07 am

97rivsc wrote:
three degrees? thats warm. I got 30 below, and tomorrow i get about 50 below.
LOL i totally agree.... IT was freezing balls here in south mankato in MN tonight.... -50 windchill. it was nippy... EFFFIN school didn't close.. Well im in College major 4 year university... all surrounding schools closed but not mine... GHEY
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Talk about cold, I had to get gas in a rush this morning heading to school and of course the stupid gas pump wouldn't work. I lifted the nozzle and hit 93 and nothing happened. I pounded that button and nothing. So I tried the other grades - nothing. Put it back, tried picking 93. Nothing. I pulled it out and pushed up on the little thing in there to let it know the nozzle is back and then push it. Nothing. I finally stuck it in the car, pushed up on the nozzle sensor and then it let me pick 93.

This took like 3 minutes which was an eternity in that ice cold wind. My fingers were totally numb and I couldn't feel a thing. The Riv struggled hard to start too, I held the key over for about 4 seconds and it just strained and never caught. I let off and started again with my foot a little on the gas pedal and it caught this time. Jeez! The temperature gauge in the car has been saying 10 degrees most of today and I'm ready to believe it. Walking short distances seems painful and I want to run into a warm building to warm up and then keep on walking (and I usually say other people are wimps in the cold).

Given the temperatures I was probably underdressed. I just had on my big leather jacket. No gloves, no headgear, no ear muffs, no layers, no scarf, nothing but my jacket. Bad idea. To those of you who live way up north where it regularly gets this cold, you're insane. First time I've actually felt my face hurting from the cold...cold
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 6:29 pm

It took me all of 2 minutes to brush the inch of powdery snow off of my car before leaving this morning for school.

My hands went numb.

I was exaggerating on the 3 degrees, but tomorrow it's gonna be 0 low, before windchill, and then on Saturday it's gonna be -4, before windchill.

Shintsu, you're right. We ARE crazy. Sometimes I wonder why we picked up here, lol!
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 6:54 pm

well to tell you the truth shintsu I actually kind of like it, to me its sort of refreshing. The only thing that is totally annoying is when the wind is blowing so hard and it is so cold outside that four major power lines snap and it takes them not one, not two, not three, but FOUR fucking hours to get the power back on. that means no furnace for four hours. ya let me tell ya thats loads of fun..........fucking winter
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Door Marker Lens Custom Fix   Door Marker Lens Custom Fix Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next