Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Chrome Wheel Center Caps

Go down 
+19
Jason
RivieraRyan
stan
robotennis61
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
99Rivman
BMD
ibmoses
xxsupergman25xx
Straighteight
deekster_caddy
AA
sburch23
albertj
nothincame2mind
Shintsu
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 11:39 pm

I still have a 7 spoke chrome cap for sale. its missing 1 tab but otherwise in perfect condition.
$35 shipped in the cont. US.

Back to top Go down
Straighteight
Straighteight

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 7:49 am

albertj wrote:
Straighteight wrote:
Anybody found a NEW way to use the center caps once the tabs break off? How about the adhesive used to hold moldings on, just a dab to hold, but strong enought to hold em on?
Anybody got used ones for sale?

You can stick them on the wheels by cleaning them (and the hub area) with a little dry gas on a clean rag and then a streak of RTV on the edge of the cap - in effecct you glue them in place.

Problem is (not a huge problem just a PITA) you have to do this *every* time you pull them off.

Albertj
Thank you for the tip!

Any particular brand of RTV you have had good luck with? How much trouble getting them off? Wouldn't a spot here and there on the edge of the cap do the job, and make them easier to take off?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Straighteight wrote:
albertj wrote:
Straighteight wrote:
Anybody found a NEW way to use the center caps once the tabs break off? How about the adhesive used to hold moldings on, just a dab to hold, but strong enought to hold em on?
Anybody got used ones for sale?

You can stick them on the wheels by cleaning them (and the hub area) with a little dry gas on a clean rag and then a streak of RTV on the edge of the cap - in effecct you glue them in place.

Problem is (not a huge problem just a PITA) you have to do this *every* time you pull them off.

Albertj
Thank you for the tip!

Any particular brand of RTV you have had good luck with? How much trouble getting them off? Wouldn't a spot here and there on the edge of the cap do the job, and make them easier to take off?

Permatex.

Unless your tabs are somewhat holding with that wire bail thinngy then you'll need to use a bead not dabs.

THey will hold on unless you pry them off, if pried they will come right off clean. Form-a-Gasket is not anything like stick-at-all-costs urethane trim cement. It is mean to hold and disassemble clean.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm sure some of the fault lies with the tire monkeys and the demands of faster, faster, faster, but in my experience I don't think GM has ever built a decent center cap... The Buick Rallyes, the Pontiac PolyCast Honeycombs, the original Cadillac alloys, and now these - by the time I've bought the car something has always been broken or missing.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Eldo wrote:
I'm sure some of the fault lies with the tire monkeys and the demands of faster, faster, faster, but in my experience I don't think GM has ever built a decent center cap... The Buick Rallyes, the Pontiac PolyCast Honeycombs, the original Cadillac alloys, and now these - by the time I've bought the car something has always been broken or missing.

The center caps for the chromes are weird, it's like the tabs were glued on in the first place, which I imagine might have been done to keep the faces smooth. For what they charge for the silly things they could have molded in slots in the back and put a t304 stainless 'spider' on with little feet to hold on the rim. My Chrysler LeBaron had alloys and **much** better center caps, they were spun aluminum with a steel "spider" on the back, never a problem.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 4:32 pm

I think the tabs were molded to the cap as one piece, but it seems like they attempted to strengthen them with an epoxy near the area that is stressed. GM knew the design was weak, so they did what they could - might be the reason they charged so much for them.

My originals all broke, but I think that's because I let others (mechanics) abuse them. Now that I have a set of "fresh" ones (NOS), I've had no problems as long as I'm careful and don't let them fall into the wrong hands.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 pm

AA wrote:
I think the tabs were molded to the cap as one piece, but it seems like they attempted to strengthen them with an epoxy near the area that is stressed. GM knew the design was weak, so they did what they could - might be the reason they charged so much for them.

My originals all broke, but I think that's because I let others (mechanics) abuse them. Now that I have a set of "fresh" ones (NOS), I've had no problems as long as I'm careful and don't let them fall into the wrong hands.

My originals all broke, now when have a shop do tire changeover I just take 'em off first. I do have a couple tabs I repaired with fillets of JBWeld.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 4:47 pm

I have added some epoxy to the stressed areas, as extra insurance. Maybe it has helped?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Straighteight
Straighteight

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Epoxy looks like a great idea. As I read thru all these suggestions the thought that these clips were glued on from the start, (a poor manufacturing procedure that should never have been considered by anyone sober) makes one wonder if any thought was given to Buick's reputation for durabilitiy, and what kind of tests they put these parts through before approving use and production.
Thank you all for your thoughts and the time it took to present this information!! smile
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Straighteight wrote:
As I read thru all these suggestions... it makes one wonder if any thought was given to Buick's reputation for durability, and what kind of tests they put these parts through before approving use and production...

As "The Engineer", I think I figured out the mathematical answer to your musings:

36,000-mile warranty + 40,000-mile tires = "Ok, go ahead and approve the center caps!!"

devil
Back to top Go down
Straighteight
Straighteight

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Now lets talk about paint delamination. devil
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 4:22 pm

best way to repair plastic tabs is with thin strips of fiberglass. works forever....
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 4:25 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
best way to repair plastic tabs is with thin strips of fiberglass. works forever....

I would assume that you need to sand off the 'PlastiChrome' first?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Straighteight wrote:
Now lets talk about paint delamination. devil
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/exterior-f12/flaking-chipping-paint-t1063.htm

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Eldo wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:

a good scuffing is all that you need. fiberglass resin,once applied wont come off a prepped surface.
Back to top Go down
Straighteight
Straighteight

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 6:21 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Eldo wrote:
robotennis61 wrote:

a good scuffing is all that you need. fiberglass resin,once applied wont come off a prepped surface.

For those of us with little or no imagination, how about a ruff outline how it is done? puzzled
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 2:17 pm

I did my brakes the other day, so since I had my caps off I thought I would show you guys my solution for broken tabs. First, make five "L" brackets that are the width of the tabs, about an inch long. Then drill a hole in both the the "L" bracket and tab. Find five small screws, I prefer to use screws from old audio cassettes. You will also need a construction grade adhesive to glue the bottom part of the "L" bracket to the cap itself. Most important is that you line up the tab in its original position before securing everything. I know its a little messy and this may not work for you, but its worked for me so I thought I'd throw that out there.
Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 IMG_9090
Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 IMG_9091
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 2:36 pm

thats the way its done... another way would be to place fiberglass strips along the length of the repair. repeat until satisfied with the strength of the repair.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Nice repair. Will have to look at doing the same or something very similar.
Cheap, strong and easy, doesn't get any better than that.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 7:48 pm

almost wonder if that's how they ought have done it in the first place.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 8:35 pm

PLUS! wink

One question, BMD... What did you use for the metal? Is it aluminum that's thin enough to still 'spring'?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Exactly, anything stiffer would not have allowed the necessary play for the tab to bend in and out, so a thin grade aluminum is a must. Thanks for the + happy.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:17 pm

this is exaclty what i did to my 7 spoke caps ,had only on 1 of the caps a missing tab the rest were OK....then used some GORILLA GLUE just to strenghten them .So far after 2 year no problem at all .
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 11:16 pm

stan wrote:
this is exaclty what i did to my 7 spoke caps ,had only on 1 of the caps a missing tab the rest were OK....then used some GORILLA GLUE just to strenghten them .So far after 2 year no problem at all .
Stan, I'm not sure that I'm following you.
Did you just Gorrila Glue the remaining tabs that were good or did you cut them all off and made aluminum brackets then fastened with a screw and then gorilla glued them back on to the center cover.
That's the impression I got for BMD unless I'm way off base.
In other words, is this a preemptive fix as well as a fix after the fact if you can find the plastic piece to attach to the aluminum angle bracket.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 am

ohh yes Rick,my tabs were good as new i just glued them incase they crack and break over time.
Just remember-it takes about 10 hours for the glue to cure,BUT you must be careful to put only a bit `cause it expands while curing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Wheel Center Caps   Chrome Wheel Center Caps - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chrome Wheel Center Caps
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next