Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Snowdog's Riv

Go down 
+54
charlieRobinson
joshuadalegrimes
Andysdorm
97buickriviera
ghpcnm
Abaddon
bigdave
J. Chris Davis
Rosario
96rivi
97rivsc
flyineagle96
Jason
Eldo
JT Newman
Mr.Riviera
97 park ave
L67
BMD
woggy
robotennis61
jenkkijussi
ewolfe0050
99Rivman
xxsupergman25xx
curious riv
nothincame2mind
arttu80
turtleman
EatDirtFartDust
AA
R1V 1T UP
dscott2000
Shintsu
Ironclad-454
BoattailBob
Jack the R
captshiner
Sweepspear
djlorenzana
95SuperRiv
albertj
jimmyriv
TonySmooth89
ibmoses
deekster_caddy
Rickw
IBx1
SuperRiv07
T Riley
stan
Snowdog
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:14 pm

The EGR valves are sold as a single units, so I should think the tubes are also. The question is whether they're available...

(What I can't believe is that this problem didn't make a good amount of noise.)

Last edited by Eldo on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 pm

Rickw wrote:
Do you think an Epoxy would hold up to the exhaust temp.?

You have to pick an epoxy by reading the label for the temp range after cure. An aluminum-filled one should work fine, as we're looking at exhaust not catalytic converter temps here. Look for the 2-part epoxy putty used in automotive applications such as repairing damaged castings and radiators. If you look in the adhesives area of an auto parts store you will find epoxy specified for repairing exhaust manifolds. those radiator/exhaust epoxies are what you're looking for, sorry I should have been clearer up front.

There are exhaust sealers that would work as well, but I find they are kinda messy. The aluminum exhaust repair tape might do, though.

As of availability of a replacement part, as many 3800s as are on the road, should not be that big a problem. I'd price the replacement and either buy and install it, or make a temporary repair with epoxy while saving to buy the good replacement OE part.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 pm

albertj wrote:
Rickw wrote:
Do you think an Epoxy would hold up to the exhaust temp.?

You have to pick an epoxy by reading the label for the temp range after cure. An aluminum-filled one should work fine, as we're looking at exhaust not catalytic converter temps here. Look for the 2-part epoxy putty used in automotive applications such as repairing damaged castings and radiators. If you look in the adhesives area of an auto parts store you will find epoxy specified for repairing exhaust manifolds. those radiator/exhaust epoxies are what you're looking for, sorry I should have been clearer up front.

There are exhaust sealers that would work as well, but I find they are kinda messy. The aluminum exhaust repair tape might do, though.

As of availability of a replacement part, as many 3800s as are on the road, should not be that big a problem. I'd price the replacement and either buy and install it, or make a temporary repair with epoxy while saving to buy the good replacement OE part.

Albertj
Thanks Albert,
As far as the products for exhaust repair, I personally never used any because I always buy the replacement parts and fix it once.
But I have noticed exhaust repair products on the shelves of auto parts stores, I just never pay any attention to them or what they are made out of.
As far as doing a repair with one of these products, would you consider it temporary, as I would.?

Then based on the fact that Timo has more money than God himself, he can pay for the NEW tube assembly to be purchased here and shipped overnight to Finland or Estonia on a private jet.
Hey Timo, how does that sound.????

All kidding aside, Timo, can you find some exhaust repair epoxy or something that will fill that crack until I can find the replacement pipe.?
Rick.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 11:40 pm

I *Definitely* consider an exhaust patch to be temporary, if only because the corrosion that put the hole in the thing in the first place won't go away. When my exhaust went I did not use a temporary patch, I replaced it.

I do use the exhaust patch compound as a pipe sealer in assembling new exhaust pipes. Put a bead in such that the pipe joints are sealed yet can be cut apart and new ones fitted later if need be.

I think the idea of repairing the crack with exhaust stuff until the replacement pipe is found, is a good enough idea.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:38 am

Glad you finally found the problem and can drive the Riv worry-free! One thing though, wouldn't blocking the EGR valve increase emmissions? I personally could care less about a tiny bit more emmissions, but if NY has yearly exhaust sniffer inspections, I'd imagine it's the same or stricter up by Europe. Something to consider, because if it would cause you to fail an emmissions inspection and you'd have to put it on every year, seems like no real point to blocking it.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:07 am

as i know and readed the egr works when your slowing downw your speed whit the engine(accelarate and then take your foot of the pedal and let it just slow down whitout breaking).

also about glue or what so ever, i'm not sure if i want to risk cos it has no pressure in the pipe, there is vacum and if the glue or what so ever will fail it gets sucked into the engine and straight into intake manufault > pistons...and so on where it may do litle damage.

i will maybe go today and take it off to see how big hole is there and think what i do about it.
maybe make blockoff plate for solong till i get new pipe.

about the inspections
i remember seeing some numbers what showed that for this engine and year it was allowed 2600 (something) but the riv gived just 1900.(somethign about emision % on some revs)
The ´blocked egr may rise the gasses maybe 10% max if even that. the main thing what does the most cleanign is the Cat.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:52 am

Timo, the EGR is constantly varying... I've watched it on my scanner.

Also, besides controlling Nitrogen Oxide (NOx), the cooling effect of the inert gasses from the EGR helps control detonation (knock) - especially in a supercharged engine.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 am

Timo,
I don't know what they may call it over there, but Brazing the pipe would be a safe way to fill a crack.
It is a step up from soldering in that it requires more heat than soldering yet less heat than using Oxygen and Acetylene (can be used at low pressure and temp settings), I have used Propane and Mapp gas to braze before. I forget the exact composition of the brazing rod but it can contain brass and other metals and would work good for that repair.
I will have to pull out my welding book and look up the section on brazing to speak more intelligently about the subject.

Also, if anyone has the P/N to that tube - It would be appreciated so we can see what that unit cost's new to replace and I can ship him one.

I am unable to go to a Junk Yard and pull one off a car due to my back being worse now than ever before. Am scheduled for some more injections soon, but I don't know if they will work.

So if someone can help me help Timo, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

p.s. The following is from Wikipedia;

Brazing is a metal-joining process whereby a filler metal is heated above and distributed between two or more close-fitting parts by capillary action. The filler metal is brought slightly above its melting (liquidus) temperature while protected by a suitable atmosphere, usually a flux. It then flows over the base metal (known as wetting) and is then cooled to join the workpieces together.[1] It is similar to soldering, except the temperatures used to melt the filler metal is above 450 °C (842 °F), or, as traditionally defined in the United States, above 800 °F (427 °C).

There is much more info on there about Brazing Timo that you can look at and I'm sure Uno has what you need to fix it. Just need to remove the tube from the car and work on the bench with it.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 5:42 pm

I have really been enjoying this sight! Finally registered and cant wait to get involved. Really impressed with all the things Snowdog has done. Impressive young man! His car has come a long way in a short time. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:48 pm

yesterday had some time and vent to unos garage to truy to find out why my cars engine has not run smoothly for the whole year.

3 months ago found out that the egr pipe had leaked from somewhere.
SO i truyed to take it off and look it, before i could even do this i saw that a NUT! what holds the egr pipe to egr was loos...and i sayd to my self...hell no that cant be that easy..!?..
so i tightened it up...and omg...that was it -.-...that was the goddamn thing what made service engine light come on...engine not run so good...shaked on low revs...and brakes sometimes did not work propery..

So that was it! now service engine light cone off and it runs like never before!....also cos it's lately
-20C here i buted the cone filter back on.
Soon need to change the cat cos it has started to get noisy
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Ah yes, ye' old leaky EGR pipe lol. Cool you found it, and it was somethin stupid headbutt
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Damn, that was it? Reminds me of when my car wouldn't run and it was just improperly routed ignition wires... bonk
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 9:58 am

Thats how my morning started today on my winter vacation in estonia. . that all came in 7h..
Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Photo0082l

Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Photo0072fo

Anyways Merry Christmas to everyone..
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:48 am

LOLOLOLOL SnowDog! Have fun diggin that out.

Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:28 am

it's out.. instead of a spad you guys should truy out a leaf blower LOL!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 5:29 pm

wow...Timo that`s a lot of snow.In a country like yours you should garage the vehicle especially in the winter.
Ever thought of installing a remote starter so in months like this you don't have to unearth the car but still warm up the engine and charge the battery without even gettin` in and drivin` it....haha..
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year bro.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Snowdog wrote:
it's out.. instead of a spad you guys should truy out a leaf blower LOL!

If it is cold enough a leaf blower works great!

Merry Christmas and a happy and successful New Year to you ad everyone in 2011.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 4:49 am

well thanks.
I'm atm on vacation in estonia. In finland i keep the car allways in my warm (+22C) garage .
and actualy drive it rare cos i have my work van and its RWD so way more fun happy
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:39 am

Hello!

i know i have not been much on lately.
and NO NO i have not crached the car or something..
Just have not riden whit it for months.

Thursday Klaus(the guy who build the KMR carbon car http://kmrvehicles.com/images.htm ) came by and made some great pictures for one car magazine.
They came out so good that i would have felt selfich when not shearing them whit u.
So here are some!
Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Riviera02

Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Riviera01

Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Riviera04

Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Riviera14

Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Riviera10

can't but them all yet. But enjoy!

Last edited by Snowdog on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 am

Nice Riv. The pride of Finland
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 am

That is one gorgeous car man

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 11:59 am

Beautiful car, Snowdog. Kudos to Klaus on some great pics. smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
97buickriviera
Amateur
97buickriviera

Name : Ian
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:19 pm

hey i have 2 middle caps for the 2nd hubcaps... if you need one i will look out for one but you know.. im in mew york
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Great stuff! Timo, can you see if it would be okay to use those photos for our yearly calendar? Just permission to use, and a high-quality image is all we need. Thanks for posting!

I would also love to see the finished magazine article!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:40 pm

NIIIIIICE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snowdog's Riv   Snowdog's Riv - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

Snowdog's Riv
Page 15 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Showroom-
Jump to: