Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Burning Smell Underhood

Go down 
+2
L67
3.8 Riviera
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

Name : Tyre
Merit : 1

Burning Smell Underhood Empty
PostSubject: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Well I was given the Riviera from my mom. Its a really nice and unique car. I can't wait until I get my license. Since it was bought in 2004 used it was in great condition despite a few minor drawbacks. Back to the point. The Riviera has a lot of problems that you can't notice. First thing first, the Riviera has been burning, i think oil? under the hood. I degreased the engine a couple of months ago but it still makes the burning smell. Could you guys please diagnose this and give me a solution. Also under the hood, when the car idles for a couple of minutes it begins squeaking. So annyoing! Again help me with this. Also I need to replace the pumps to raise the trunk, along with the the front speakers, passenger window motor (it went out, I think?), and shocks. I have other things that I will get back to you all on. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Mine had the same burning smell (and smoke) you describe, and it was due to faulty valve cover gaskets leaking oil onto the exhaust manifolds. Strangely I am also battling a belt squeak problem right now...I put on some belt dressing (grease) and it seems to have fixed it for now neutral
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Well that makes two of us. Did you fix this? If so could you give me a price quote on this. Also you said belt grease, hmm never heard of it. Please explain thanks
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:20 pm

I paid $59 for a pair of valve cover gaskets from GM. Probably avail for less at Rockauto or GM parts direct.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:24 pm

3.8 Riviera wrote:
Well that makes two of us. Did you fix this? If so could you give me a price quote on this. Also you said belt grease, hmm never heard of it. Please explain thanks

It's called belt dressing, my dad had a can of it in the garage so i just painted it on the belt. And as for the valve cover gaskets i'm not so sure of the exact cost because they got done along with the lower intake manifold gaskets.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:28 pm

What year is ur Riv?
How many miles?
I have a puddle of oil sitting in the LIM of mine. The lower intake is gone, I'm sure of it... Maybe yours could be out also. Is there any new, fresh oil on the outside of the engine since you've degreased it?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:28 pm

first, welcome to the forum! hi please let us know the year riv you aquired so we can cater our answers to better help you.

as for the burning smell, it could be oil from the valve gaskets (recall on other 3800 cars for that).
could also be a belt rubbing wrong and burning. (may be related to the squeak) my money would be on leaking oil though.

rear shocks are easy and cheap to do on these cars. use the search for write-ups and what to buy.

you can buy a can of spray greas to coat the belts with to help them get more traction and stop sqeaks, but it will not fix squeaks caused by bad idles/tensioners.it's used more for belts that need replacing as a band-aid untill they get replaced.

try pulling the belt off the S/C and run the car to see if you can isolate the squeak. most likely the tensioner assembly, but with the cars age it would be EXTREAMLY wise to replace all idlers and tensioners to prevent failure down the road.

Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:29 pm

How much would it cost to have it repaired. I want to do it professionally because i dont want to mess up my beauty. Im ready to get rid of this scent.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:29 pm

oh.... and welcome!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:33 pm

if it's the front one leaking you can do it in minuites by removing a few bolts and replacing the gasket (zzp sells them for $27).
a dealer will charge at least 2 hours to do both, plus parts. probably looking at $200.
make sure that's the problem before you start throwing money at it though.

Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Thank You, I found this website today and I love it!
Its a 1997 Buick Riviera (of course)
142,500 miles
Repainted Twice (maybe a third)
Tan Interior
I will have pics as soon as I find my camera
Since I've degreased it. I have noticed a new oil puddle, but not much.
I want to solve this, I would hate to see it go downhill.
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:43 pm

Is there any way you could show me what you are talking about under the hood. I know when I take off the cover the smoke comes from under the pipes and stuff. If you have any time could you maybe show some pics. I really don't want to mess it up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 5:12 pm

3.8 Riviera wrote:
Thank You, I found this website today and I love it!
Its a 1997 Buick Riviera (of course)
142,500 miles
Repainted Twice (maybe a third)
Tan Interior

Welcome to the forum!

Supercharged or N/A (Naturally Aspirated)? It's important to know.

You should add the year info to your signature and enable it, so we don't have to ask you every time.

Sounds like you have a lot of basic mechanicals to learn. You should probably check out an automotive class if offered at your local voc-tech school, they are usually available evenings. Also pick up a factory service manual if you can find one, they are invaluable when it comes to tracking down odd problems in these cars.
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Valve Cover Gaskets   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me to this wonderful site. Okay I need to change the valve cover gaskets, I think, to get rid of the burning oil smell. Im clueless how to do it so I need help. Specific directions. Also I need to get the parts. Since you guys know more than me, I will take your suggestions. Pictures would be nice but it is optional. hi
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 11:43 pm

I recommend changing the front valve cover gasket first. The back is a little more tricky.

1) remove valve cover bolts, should be 10mm.
2) remove valve cover.
3) remove old gasket.
4) clean metal (head) surfaces with gasket scraper and rag, don't let old gasket fall into the oil return inside! wipe out plastic valve cover (don't scrape) very well.
5) use a little high temp grease (NOT RTV), just a few dabs here and there as needed to hold the new gasket in place in the valve cover.
6) replace valve cover
7) tighten bolts to torque spec. It's not much. Don't overtighten or you will cause leaks. Use an appropriate torque wrench for all bolts you ever tighten whenever possible on a car. Find torque spec in that service manual you just picked up. (I don't have it handy)

It's not a hard job, shouldn't take too long for the front, but the rear is a lot harder to maneuver off and I strongly recommend disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery if you aren't sure where you are turning the wrenches to... there is a big positive terminal on the back of the alternator, if you hit that with a ratchet while it's live you can cause some damage.

Have someone with some mechanical experience looking over your shoulder. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyTue May 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks, Im going to have someone do it for me, might as well spend the 200 bucks. I'll eventually study more into cars, i guess when I hit college but thanks. I can get cheap good labor, just have to know who you can count on. A little elbow grease never hurt anyone.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 12:33 pm

3.8 Riviera wrote:
A little elbow grease never hurt anyone.
Niether does brain grease!!! Knowledge is power! If you have the oppurtunity, watch the mechanic work. Learn everything you can!!!
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Okay so I just called the Buick dealership and they told me that the valve cover gaskets are going to be $23.27. Not bad I guess. So now what? I'll go and buy them but more than likely I will get someone replace them for me. That gets rid of the smoke, say the guy, but what do I have to do for the squeaking sound. I have to replace the belts because it looks to be torn/ scraped down the middle on one belt.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 1:21 pm

It's gunna be a lil difficult to cahnge the belts also. If you're goin to pay someone to change the valve cover gaskets, you shouldnt change the belts... First you should figfure out why it has the scrape/tear down the middle.
BTW, after i change out my valve cover gaskets, it still leaks oil. I gotta change out LIM gasket too. and I still have small oil leaks here and there too.
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Grrrr, that stinks. So even with the valve cover gaskets repaced it will still leak. When I called the dealership and asked about the LIM gasket, he didnt know what I was talking about. Im just going to hope that once the gaskets are replaced it's alled cured. How much do you think the LIM gasket costs? I noticed in the engine coolant resivior its low and in the inside it has dark rings around the inner walls of the container. When I asked for a price check on the passenger window motor it was 200 bucks! I know you guys said something about a cardone motor for like 30 bucks. Not bad.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 3:56 pm

3.8 Riviera wrote:
When I called the dealership and asked about the LIM gasket, he didnt know what I was talking about.

Did you ask about LIM gaskets or Lower Intake Manifold gaskets?
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Ohhhhhh! It was an acronymn. I didn't know. So replacing those, how will it help my car?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 5:24 pm

On the squeaking noise, i think its my accessory drive belt so I'm probably going to have to change that out. If you're thinking about doing the same thing be sure to read the thread on changing belts and pulleys.
Back to top Go down
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks Matt.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood EmptyWed May 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Make sure you check all your idler pullies for play or wobble while the belt is off. They are notorious for going bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Burning Smell Underhood   Burning Smell Underhood Empty

Back to top Go down

Burning Smell Underhood
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next