Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers

Go down 
+6
BillBoost37
T Riley
deekster_caddy
Rickw
robotennis61
turtleman
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Do you have any of the ZZP retainers that didn't get damaged by the other Rocker Arms.
If so, try one of those on a spring with the new RR's and see what the clearance is like.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Rickw wrote:
Do you have any of the ZZP retainers that didn't get damaged by the other Rocker Arms.
If so, try one of those on a spring with the new RR's and see what the clearance is like.

I'm putting the new retainers and RR on the front bank and I'm gonna try to keep a close eye on it and see how it looks. The clearance between the RR and the retainer is promising enough.

I have all front retainers replaced now. 4 of those retainers I took off were mushroomed in the center to the point where I had to file at them with a screwdriver to get the keepers through. That's bad.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 pm

I'm glad I noticed a problem after only installing two of them and then going back to stock retainers before starting the engine.
Have you thought about how much metal might have gone through everything in the engine.
I'm sure you've changed oil and filter multiple times since installing them originally but hopefully all is OK.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Photobucket

all retainers installed... we'll see what happens

and a really bad video one how to swap retainers - that's the hardest part of changing the valvetrain. I'm going to leave the rear alone for right now to see how the front setup works for me.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:02 am

it looks like you guys had alot of fun! thats what its all about!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:31 am

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1.61 for some reason... .523" / .539" lift oh baby razz

front's all done and I've driven the car almost 20mi with em. The noise to speak of is gone! I'm going to visually recheck everything with them after some time and see how it all looks. A little later, after I've rechecked everything on the front, I'll go ahead and do the rear. Since the noise is practically gone now, I might suppose the rear isn't as problematic but in any case, results are good so far!

Last edited by turtleman on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:44 am

lol you drunk!!! Do work son!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:01 am

Glad it worked out for you. Although I'd probably do the rears too as I'd figure those would have the same effect, no? Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 am

yes, you should do the rears before any more wear occurs. Any metal on metal = bad frown

I find this all very interesting, you and Rick having identical problems and ZZP stating that there's nothing wrong. I find it interesting how they can just say there is no problem with the other 500 sets they've sold and not consider what you are experiencing. At least get/give some measurements, dimensions, acknowledge the issue anyhow.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

I'm seeing two issues. First is the outter edge being convex instead of concave and the mention that you had to file them for the keepers.

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 am

I'm still curious / concerned about the diameter of the retainers you installed. They barely covered the coils of the spring.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 11:35 am

Quote :
I find this all very interesting, you and Rick having identical problems and ZZP stating that there's nothing wrong.
Once again, this is not a new thing for ZZP. They should have 'fessed up to it. I know I read about nearly the exact same issue happening 3-4 years ago with CompCam retainers. Check Club GP and/or 3800 Perf forum archives for the dirt.

Really glad to see you're getting this sorted out!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:23 pm

Another buddy.. mentioned something about a problem with CC Ti retainers and CC HD valve locks a few years back. Said the locks with those retainers at taht point would recess the valve lower than the retainer.

He theorized that the HD locks Turtle used may have something to do wtih it. No idea personally, merely passing it along.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:51 pm

^^^ very good point. The keepers can lock the retainer at a higher or lower height, depending on their design, correct? I think this could be very possibly the reason for the problem.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 2:50 pm

While it might be.. ...without knowing the potential issue... I have titanium retainers and went with the HD locks on my heads. There was no issues of height or recessing.
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:48 pm

Bump ... Did you install the rear rockers?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 pm

oldsman105 wrote:
Bump ... Did you install the rear rockers?

I started doing that at about 6:00 today after I got home from work. Since about 6:45, I've been looking for a keeper I lost somewhere in the engine bay. I have covered a lot of surface area with my hand and a magnet and so far found only the exhaust nut I lost when I was doing my headers.

Anyone who wants to take a ride over here with a cc valve lock is gonna be receiving a quiet
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 7:18 am

Why not just use the OEM valve locks and compare them to the CC ones and see if they are the source of the retainer height issue.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 am

Been there and know that your feeling the biggest concern is hopefully it didn't go into the engine.

Best of luck if you haven't already found it.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm

now waiting for a set of keepers to come
of course now zzp decides to start being slow on me
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 pm

Have you compared the OEM to CC valve locks to see if there is any discernible difference.?????
I'm very curious and while you have the valve covers off you may be able to compare.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Rickw wrote:
Have you compared the OEM to CC valve locks to see if there is any discernible difference.?????
I'm very curious and while you have the valve covers off you may be able to compare.

I don't have any OEM ones to compare to. I pretty much threw away all my stock valvetrain parts when I moved. dunce

I don't remember noticing any difference between them when I originally did the cam and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 pm

I changed mine and didn't notice any difference but wasn't really looking at them that closely.
I changed them, finished up the job and didn't give it much thought until lately while we've been discussing this retainer height issue.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 am

I got the keepers in the mail today. I didn't get off work until 10pm and then I ate dinner and stuff so I didn't really get to the car until about 11:00. At this point the new retainers and keepers are installed and the valve cover is back on. Still need to replace the fuel rails, alternator, etc.

I'm probably going to take another peek under the front valve cover before I put it all completely back together to check things out. I know for certain there is a very healthy amount of retainer to rocker clearance now so I guess I'll look for any other signs of problems but having already driven with the front done with good results, I don't think I have anything to worry about now, unless of course the lost keeper is in the motor, then it's going to be interesting.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:11 am

Ok I've totally finished it. Rolled it over for a while w/o fuel - no noises - and then started it and ran it briefely to make sure its ok to drive to work tomorrow... well actually today at 8am. So far it looks good.

There definitely was something going on with the keepers. I did notice that some retainers appeared to be sitting at slightly different levels relative to the head of the valve stems. When I installed the new retainers and new keepers on the back, I didn't have such noticable variences so I went ahead and changed the keepers in the front to the new ones. They look level now. I compared the new keepers to the old ones but didn't really see any obvious contrasts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers   ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

ticking noise, scuffed valve spring retainers
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next