Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Goodnight Sweet Prince

Go down 
+17
BMD
DEMonte1997
ibmoses
AA
BKRIV
robotennis61
millerje18
Steve98
IBx1
Shintsu
albertj
Rickw
deekster_caddy
xxsupergman25xx
manofmany
Ship
krazyfish
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred
Merit : 4

Goodnight Sweet Prince Empty
PostSubject: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Everybody id like to introduce you to Victoria, A 1998 Riviera with 137000 miles. I cant find an option that she doesnt have. She isnt perfect but doesnt need a whole lot of work. The worst parts of the car are in the photographs. but all and all not too bad for $2500. And does anyone have any suggestions for the door panel?

Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0824
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0825
IMG]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/krazyfish/riviera/IMG_0826.jpg[/IMG]
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0830
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0829
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0828
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0827

Last edited by krazyfish on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 7:09 pm

The screw hole on the side of the door panel (I can see it in your pic) sometimes gets worn out bigger than the diameter of the screw that's suppose to sit in it. This is very common for this era riv. I solved mine on a 97 I once owned by super gluing a transparent washer on the hole and using a bigger diameter screw head.
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Yes that is the problem with the panel, but is there more than that to hold the gray panel to the black metal strip? (its the damaged piece that is between the window and the panel)
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:47 pm

I've got the same panel problem, just not as bad. I used a very oversized washer to solve it. Someone was rough on those seats for only have 137k on them! Nice find though. I'm jealous of the wheels.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Did that car come from Indiana? Pretty sure I've seen it around my sisters house
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 12:53 am

i had the same problem with my door panel. it was fixed the same way ship did his.
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 1:00 am

Yeah It came from indiana, indianapolis to be exact. The seats are just very worn there are no rips or tears thankfully. the wheels are in real good shape but i am looking for a set of center caps (lincoln? really couldnt have been much more ironic could it...) or cheap or a nice pair of 20s that dont look tacky.

Ill have to look into fixing the door situation, the sad thing is im stuck with my cavalier until monday... its killing me knowing its just sitting there waiting for tags and insurance.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 1:15 am

hahahah i looked a little closer...u def do have lincoln caps. those center caps are expensssiiveeeee...if i remember correctly though..they have a website with blank center caps for those rims.
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 9:24 am

Welcome! So many people don't know what this car is in the first place, they are more likely to be thrown for a loop by the Lincoln centers... it might be more fun just to keep them and confuse people further!! They look like a good fit!
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 10:58 am

Size wise the centercaps are perfect, but they are more of a brushed alluminum than a chrome.. but i guess it works since all of them are the same at least.

I thought i would show you guys what i see every morning. After 7 months of searching for a new car, i still cant drive it and i have to go to by busted up cavalier. (she runs good though, you couldnt kill the thing if you tried) But tomorow morning i am going to get tags.

Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0831
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:30 am

krazyfish wrote:
or cheap or a nice pair of 20s that dont look tacky.
Before you spend any money on wheels and tires you'll need to start looking at some basic maintenance items.
Belts, pulleys, hoses, flush coolant system, change all fluids, plugs, wires (if it needs them) and so much more.
Basically make sure it is in good running order and safe. Check brakes, front end parts for wear, etc.
While your waiting for tags start doing some inspection of all mechanical systems.

Just remember: Chrome Don't Get You Home !!!!!
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 am

For sure in the next week or so ill have went through everything making sure it is going to get me home. But you also have to remember i drove this car 2 and a half hours the day i bought it, to get it home, if there was anything seriously terminal going on it would have cropped up during that.
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:47 am

I believe I've seen Riv centercaps on Ebay Motors. You could check there. Also, you might want to look into any u-pull-it auto junkyards in your area for door panel pieces (although I don't see too many of 95-99 riv's in my local yards). Additionally, you can go online to www.car-part.com which is a North America database of participating auto junkyards to check out parts for your riv.
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:56 am

I actually went to pullapart a few weeks ago and there was a 95 adriatic blue riv there, it had the blue interior though so its not much use to me. The tailight assembly was flawless on the car though i considered buying it just because they are hard to find in good shape.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 pm

krazyfish wrote:
Size wise the centercaps are perfect, but they are more of a brushed alluminum than a chrome.. but i guess it works since all of them are the same at least.

I thought i would show you guys what i see every morning. After 7 months of searching for a new car, i still cant drive it and i have to go to by busted up cavalier. (she runs good though, you couldnt kill the thing if you tried) But tomorow morning i am going to get tags.
You are certainly a very patient person. I don't think I could have searched and waited for 7 months. Congrats and hope all systems are good and it has been maintained well by previous owner.
You should get many more miles out of it, considering it's got reasonably low miles for the year.
Good Luck and let the Modifications begin.!!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 6:15 pm

A GM dealer can get center caps for you but they are not cheap. And not available from GM but rather from NOS sitting at various dealers that the dealers can see on the computer in the parts department.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Yep I've definitely seen the car before.

I'd go to autozone or walmart or somewhere and pick up a sticker lifter kit by Goo-Gone and get that sticker off the trunk lid. Your reallly going to enjoy driving and riding in the Riviera.
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 am

First thing i did when i got home and startded cleaning it was seeing how stuck that sticker was. i definantly have to get something to help pull it off.

More than likely ill just stick with the lincoln caps for now unless i stumble onto some riv ones, like i said i plan on buying twenties and these will be my winter wheels,
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0847
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0846
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0845
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0850
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0851
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0852
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0853
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0854
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0855
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0848
Goodnight Sweet Prince IMG_0849
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm surprised I haven't seen this Riviera - what roads/areas do you usually drive around? You definitely look like you're more out in the country so that may be why, my Riv usually frequents the big roads and highways (I-65, Gene Snyder, Watterson) in Jefferson county.

In my area there's a white Riv similar to mine but it's totally stock and I can't ever make out who is driving the thing. I used to see it on my way to school frequently. One time I was at the light waiting to go straight and he was on the other side waiting for the light to turn. Supercharged and everything like mine except I think he has the 12 spoke alloys.

Your paint looks nice though. A tip to make your car really pop - get some Crystal view headlight cleaner for those cornering lights, I used them on mine and they are night/day difference looks so much better (Link here if you want to see before and afters). It's only like $30 for the stuff and it's supposed to be lifetime, really easy to do to. Ha, we could almost do a photoshoot of our Rivs since you're not too far - it'd be a cool contrast to have a white Riv next to a black one! Keep us updated on her, definitely a keeper (But that's most Riv's if you ask me).
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 am

I like the Lincoln caps because I love how the brushed pattern contrasts with the chrome!
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 10:22 am

I didnt realize you were in KY. i though i was the only Kentuckian here on this forum. I actually make it up to Louisville fairly regularly (about 2-3 times a month) im only about 40 minutes south.

As far as the corners go i certainly will do something about them probably what you suggested up until i can actually replace them. Or maybe just set it and forget depending on the results i get from it.

Speaking of seeing look alike cars around town. my brother called me a few days ago thinking my car was stolen cause he saw a man and a young kid geting out of a black riv with tinted windows and heres the kicker, lincoln hubcaps. Im keeping my eyes open for it so that i can park next to him and confuse the hell ou of him when he comes out to his car... twisted
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Steve98

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Definitely do the maintenance that Rickw suggests first, but if you want to get chrome center caps, here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390067063008&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=43961
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm

IBx1 wrote:
I like the Lincoln caps because I love how the brushed pattern contrasts with the chrome!
It's different for sure but I love all the chrome:
Goodnight Sweet Prince 52009cleaning12

And regarding those centers, that would be a pretty hefty sum to buy four of those buggers. The dealer sells one for $50 so $200 for all four from a dealer but they are brand new not ever used (We bought one like this that was still in the plastic). I'd check out hubcap places, many times they can have them and they sell them for $20-$25.That is if you are trying to track down some chrome R centers.

Nope, we have several people on here in the KY area. Jack the R is in Western KY I think and I know I've seen a few other people who said they're in KY.
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

PostSubject: new radio and shifter   Goodnight Sweet Prince EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Have had this radio in my car for quite a while, been to busy/lazy/without camera. to post pics up. also got a new shifter handle from the local u pull it yard. The radio is awesome love the fact that the ipod connector can easily be routed so it isnt coming out of the dash. (going through the center console. you can see it in the second pic) Sorry for the lousy pictures only had my cell phone.

Also how do you remove the chrome trim around the wheels? is this easier said than done?

Goodnight Sweet Prince 0914091443

Goodnight Sweet Prince 0914091445
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goodnight Sweet Prince   Goodnight Sweet Prince Empty

Back to top Go down

Goodnight Sweet Prince
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next