Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Adding only a headunit (for now.)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

Adding only a headunit (for now.) Empty
PostSubject: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 pm

I bought this headunit:
Kenwood KDC-BT838U (not from Crutchifled, but you get the idea) The most attractive things to me are bluetooth, usb port, and I like the black and white display, it's looks classy, and I hope will go with the riviera's interior well. Also I like that it can be dimmed with the headlights. I hate when headunits don't have a dimmer.

My questions are:
I plan to use amplifiers to run all my speakers, probably next month. Until then, will I have any trouble driving the factory speakers (concert sound II, 1995 model) until then. Will it cause any damage to my new headunit?

Secondly, can anyone suggest an adapter trim that doesn't look tacky. The last one I bought for my 95 Bonneville stuck out from the dash an inch, and looked stupid. I realize there may be no way around this if there's a shallow hole, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thirdly, if I get the steering wheel control interface, will I be able to keep my temperature controls on the wheel?

HD radio tuner, or Sirius tuner?

Last edited by EatDirtFartDust on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:02 pm

I don't believe you'll have any trouble powering the factory speakers from an aftermarket HU. What is the rated output?
If you trim / remove some abs plastic from the area behind the radio you will be able to flush mount your new HU.
If you get the SWI you will be able to control all steering wheel buttons either as they are or you can program the unit to control what you want.
You can find write ups on here for all that work with pictures for removing the plastic.

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Thanks. Cutting and breaking is no problem. I had to do this to fit a cd player in my Safari van. I got a dremel and know how to use it.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 7:54 am

There are a bunch of threads about installing a head unit. You do need to do some creative dremeling to make it flush mount. Crutchfield should supply you with the opening adapter you need, no? Driving the stock speakers won't be a problem. It may not sound perfect, but it will work.

The Pioneer unit I put in does "dim" with the headlights, but it does not follow the dimmer setting, it just gets a little dimmer than normal and stays there. Not impressive at all. However, it does have a 'display off' mode which I just figured out recently and is pretty sweet. In that mode, the display will stay off until you change something, then it turns on and shows you what you are changing (volume, track, etc), then after a few seconds of inactivity the display shuts off again.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 12:01 pm

I looked, and I see a bunch of 96+ headunit installs, but those all have the double din hole. My 95 has a din.5 hole and all the 95's I see have factory radios. Really I'm just looking for a flush-mount headunit bracket, making one myself isnt out of the question. I'm not getting it from crutchfield, and even when I add it to my cart at crutchfield, they dont supply a bracket, they just say "this item will not fit your car".

I had a really old pioneer in my Bonneville that didn't dim at all, and was super bright. But the way you loaded the cd was press a button and the face plate folded down out of the way. So at night I would drive with the face down, then push it up to make changes.

In a few weeks I'll get new components and 5x9's, then a few weeks later I'll add an amp and single 12" sub, then a few weeks later I'll amp the components and 6x9's. Then I start putting video in the family's van, which, if I was a good husband I would be doing that first. neutral
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 12:08 pm

If you call Crutchfield direct thay can probably help you with an install kit.
Just tell them what your going to do for clearance and they will come up with something that works.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 pm

There are a lot of GM double-din opening adapters, and that's all you need. They say it won't fit because of the rear clearance issues, which you will be taking care of yourself with the dremel...
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 11:59 pm

Mine isn't double din. It's din-and-a-half.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding only a headunit (for now.)   Adding only a headunit (for now.) Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding only a headunit (for now.)
Page 1 of 1