Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger

Go down 
+4
L67
turtleman
IBx1
sburch23
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger Empty
PostSubject: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Has anyone looked into putting the Eaton TVS supercharger on a 3800? It is currently in the new Corvette.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Automotive/ProductsandSolutions/Superchargers/TVS/index.htm
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 10:19 pm

I don't think it would fit, and there goes half the fun of the Riviera, too. The whine has been severely cut back with the new design.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm

It has been done or at least nearly. Problem is by the time it's all right, it costs about as much as a whipple and looks less sexy.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger IMG_0776

Read on: http://www.3800pro.com/forum/superchargers/23690-eaton-tvs-1900-blower-now-option-3-8l.html
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Oh Lord... that may be my next adventure along with Thrasher heads and a full bottem rebuild (to support nitrous)... Thing is, I have roughly 420-425 hp at the crank now and can"t get any traction. I wonder how hard 700+ bhp would be to control. Wouldn't that be cool !!!... I do admit that thing looks a little odd to me.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:26 am

ewolfe0050 wrote:
I do admit that thing looks a little odd to me.

What would make it work is matching fins machined into or welded onto the heads.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 am

Reminds me of this
Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger American%20Alligator%20(Alligator%20mississipiensis)0002
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 8:39 am

I agree that it is not as sexy as a chrome Whipple or even our M90.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:27 am

Jack the R wrote:
ewolfe0050 wrote:

What would make it work is matching fins machined into or welded onto the heads.

Do you mean machining or welding the pattern on the valve covers ????
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Is it not interesting that the more these roots blowers evolve, the more they look like screw superchargers? I also think it's really weird how if you visit Whipple's or Kenne Bell's websites, they call their blowers positive displacement superchargers. The line between the two seems to be getting really thin...
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Rickw wrote:
Jack the R wrote:
ewolfe0050 wrote:

Do you mean machining or welding the pattern on the valve covers ????

Whatever it takes to get a matching pattern. Maybe a 2nd cover over the valve cover?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 4:34 pm

You're right that Eaton's new housings use a grid pattern similar to the twin-screws, but roots and twin-screw (Lysholm) blowers have always resembled each other a little because they are both types of positive displacement blowers, using two spinning rotors, hence the double cylinder shape.

The biggest difference between roots and twin-screw is the rotor design, and how they compress the air inside the blower housing.

The roots design once used a pair of straight, flat rotors, but now uses slightly helix-shaped lobe rotors to better "move" air through the unit (probably borrowed from the twin-screw design). But even with this improvement, the relatively large gaps between rotors prevent it from actually compressing the air inside the blower. The roots blower builds air pressure by pushing it into the manifold, as a fan does. Key point: it's technically just blowing the air, not really compressing by definition. The pressure build occurs after the blower, inside the manifold.

The Lysholm on the other hand, uses a set of optimum shape screw lobes that are very tightly matched, but they are also different. One of the lobes is slightly larger than the other and turns at a different rate. The gaps are much smaller than with roots. As the air moves into the blower, the rotors trap it and squeeze it, compressing it from one end to the other. The end result is the air is already compressed by the rotors, inside the blower, before it moves into the manifold. For reasons too in depth to explore here, the twin-screw design does what a roots blower does, but much more efficiently, while creating less heat in the process.

The term "boost stacking" applies only to roots blowers. Because the air is being moved and not compressed, it is possible for the air to stop or change direction inside the blower - if the engine resists the intake air due to restriction. Since the Lysholm rotors actually compress the air as it's being fed through the blower, the air coming in can't stop or exit - it must move into the manifold. This is one of the reasons why twin-screws give higher boost numbers than roots.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Never knew the difference, thanks AA!
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Roots blowers have the save number of lobes on each rotor. The twist in our rotors is to reduce the "pulsing". A Lysholm has one rotor with one more lobe than the other. They are also different shapes in that one is female and the other male.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger   Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger Empty

Back to top Go down

Eaton Twin Vortex (TVS) supercharger
Page 1 of 1