Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers

Go down 
+32
brmcm15
robotennis61
IBx1
Supercharged
rivparadise
Boattail Bill
Shintsu
albertj
99prixgt
deekster_caddy
#1BearsFan
1wickedninja
Jeremy
ibmoses
Rickw
captshiner
SuperRiv07
dadeboy305
HirohataMerc
jimmyriv
jax95riv
T Riley
NO 4 EVR
SpaceBar
nothincame2mind
Jack the R
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
AA
turtleman
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Smaller 2.5" exhaust = less 90º V-6 sound
Larger 3.0" exhaust = more 90º V-6 sound

Imo,the less you can hear from a 90º V-6, the better it sounds. Beyond doing a cam, there isn't much you can do to enhance the sound like you can a V-8, because a V-8 actually sounds good. 3800s just don't sound good.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Thrush part numbers

24200: 2" ID pipe, 25" overall length
24201: 2.25" ID pipe, 25" overall length (ones I used in the video)
24214: 2.5" ID pipe, 28" overall length
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the P/N's.
I might try a pair with stock exhaust to see if I like the sound. Cheap enough to experiment.
As long as there's no droning in the cabin.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy
Amateur

Name : Jeremy
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 9:12 pm

I have a glasspack on mine, but it is doing duty as my resonator for the 40 series Flowmasters in place of my stock mufflers. Sounds absoultely wonderful at idle - like a LS1 i swear. But so-so when accelerating and cruising down the highway. Glasspacks are good, but do straight 3'' pipes with them out back, and your car will sound like an Evinrude moat motor running out of the water.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 9:24 pm

I was thinking about replacing my resantor with a glasspack also but I have magnaflow mufflers u think it will sound good? Also witch glasspack did you use?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
Jeremy
Amateur

Name : Jeremy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 pm

I wish i knew who made the glasspack - I willtry to find that out for you. You will like it i know... I was torn between flowmaster and magnaflow and would like to hear your car asap. Go for the glasspack for the resonator.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Yeah man I will probley try to do it this weekend. If u could find out who makes it like u said that would be cool.
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Well, IMHO it sounds excellent. Nice value, tough to beat.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 7:11 pm

btw you can get glasspacks dirt cheap on ebay as well. The ones I welded on with the 3" system were Hooker 2.5" glasspacks which had a baffle design that actually had little scoops. Those were an ebay purchase and I don't remember the exact price but I can tell you that they were cheap enough for me to not feel bad about cutting them off and throwing them away 20 minutes after installing them. As I said before, they ended up being too loud for the new exhaust.
They were something like $20 each though.

The paint was better on the Thrush product but other than that, a glasspack is a glasspack. The dimensions were about the same too. I cannot accurately say if the scoop-style baffle offered in the Hooker product works better than the conventional baffle used in the Thrush because obviously a lot of other factors were changed.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

I was told by my exhuast guy the glasspacks with the metal scoops act like a straight peice of pipe after about 2000rpms. Has anyone else herd of this?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 7:57 pm

1wickedninja wrote:
I was told by my exhuast guy the glasspacks with the metal scoops act like a straight peice of pipe after about 2000rpms. Has anyone else herd of this?

That is the theory of most any glasspack. I imagine the scoops are supposed to absorb sound in the lower velocities (lower rpms) more effectively than the conventional pore-style baffle.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 8:06 pm

do you think that I should replace my resonator with one or just get it removed?
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 8:07 pm

what do u think will sound the best with my magnaflow mufflers?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 10:54 pm

The main reason I don't like glasspacks is that their 'muffling' is done by fiberglass, which gets packed down over time and is guaranteed to fail. Resonators will probably fail someday, but at least they have steel baffles inside.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
The main reason I don't like glasspacks is that their 'muffling' is done by fiberglass, which gets packed down over time and is guaranteed to fail. Resonators will probably fail someday, but at least they have steel baffles inside.

I think that would be just as true with any muffler that uses fiberglass or even anything similar to it. Turbo and superturbo mufflers use fiberglass to, I think.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 10:06 am

1wickedninja wrote:
what do u think will sound the best with my magnaflow mufflers?

I don't know magnaflows too well but if they are all something like the ones I sell at work, they aught to be louder than a superturbo which would probably be too loud on my setup. If you're doing a full exhaust, I'd probably use a resonator with those. The one's we have - you can just about see through them. It just has sort of an S-curve through the muffler. I'd consider it about half way between a resonator and a suprturbo design.
Again that's based off of the ones that I sell at work so I don't really know if they normally have a different design.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 6:05 pm

my magnaflows are the same way u can see right though them they just have that s curve mainly because there a offset offset desigen.
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

Name : CJ

PostSubject: My New Exhaust   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 6:34 am

i jus bought a pair of thrush glasspacks good backpressure great sound tell me what you think heres pix

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 IMG00411

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 IMG00410

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 IMG00409

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 IMG00397

Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 11:46 am

from what I can tell it looks good... have you got a pic with both the glass-packs on from the back? I'd also be interested as to if its raspy at all when reving or at WOT....

Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 pm

damn that looks familiar!
What size?
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm

lmao they should look familiar ........size is 2 n a quarter but they arnt like that now lol i didnt like the way they looked thats your style so i switched it up gonna post the new way lol
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 5:15 pm

no raspyness ....solid deep sound, crackles a lil bit tho
Back to top Go down
99prixgt
99prixgt

Name : Erik
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm

sounds good
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 8:30 am

thumbsup ....Mexican lowrider style bout to add some flamethrowers lol

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 IMG00412
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 9:58 pm

how does it sound when accelerating and what about at cruise speed (65-75 mph)?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next