Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers

Go down 
+32
brmcm15
robotennis61
IBx1
Supercharged
rivparadise
Boattail Bill
Shintsu
albertj
99prixgt
deekster_caddy
#1BearsFan
1wickedninja
Jeremy
ibmoses
Rickw
captshiner
SuperRiv07
dadeboy305
HirohataMerc
jimmyriv
jax95riv
T Riley
NO 4 EVR
SpaceBar
nothincame2mind
Jack the R
RhinoFLA
urbsnspices
AA
turtleman
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Ugh...I'm sorry but this is why I despise single tips (especially on this car). Get those pipes fixed, that honestly looks like trashy shit with them sticking out that far. Not trying to be insulting, I'm just sayin'...if I saw something like this driving around on any car I'd laugh at the tackiness and the Riv is not a car meant to be tacky or gaudy (I mean for goodness sake, they look like they stick out 8" past the bumper). Please leave that look to old beat up pick up trucks and Grand Ams...
Back to top Go down
Boattail Bill
Fanatic

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 pm

Yeah, I'm afraid I tend to agree with Shintsu on this one. Maybe bring them in just a *little* bit. Probably don't need too much.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 7:53 am

For sure you'll be whacking yer shins on those things when heading for the trunk!

'afro'
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

Name : CJ
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 am

well im jus playin around with tips ..i have like 2820358324 pairs of tips at my disposal ..my wife yelled at me about the length of them as well lol twak
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am

I dunno, those tips would be cool if they were angled up, flared out, and had working flamethrowers!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 12:10 pm

I remember seeing a 65 on Ebay with the flame throwers! They were bad ass! I would love to see this generation with some on it. I would love a video of that!

smoke
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Ummm.... CJ what does this setup sound like at cruise speed?

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DuckzRivi96
Amateur
DuckzRivi96

Name : CJ

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 6:19 pm

oh sorry lol its actually pretty quiet it only gets nasty when you step on it afro
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

Name : Blake

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 pm

get some video of you running the balls out of it
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 3:25 pm

$100 for everything? Has anyone else tried this? I may save up and get a pair of those red ones you had...still have them lying around the house? I'll buy 'em off of ya if the price is right, but I found them on Amazon for around $20 each so don't worry if you don't have them. I can probably go down to BOCES and have my buddies slap them on, too. Seems like a very simple install, and I'll show them exactly what to do from this writeup!

Now, you said you needed 2 pipes, 2 mufflers, 6 clamps, 2 tips, 2 hangers, and 2 adapters? I'm just wondering how everything fits together.

The adapter goes on the y-pipe with 2 clamps, which goes to the pipe(?) with another two, going to the muffler with the last 2 clamps, and then the 2 tips are clamped on there by the hangers?

What are the diameters of the clamps, and what's the diameter of the y-pipe? Adapter?

How about the pipe going from the y-pipe to the muffler, what's the bend degree, length, etc.? What kind of tips did you use?
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:05 pm

devil

Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 12:13 am

hell yes
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 12:29 am

doesnt sound too shabby! ive narrowed it down to the same set up too......... i bet they would even sound better with a cam installed.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 1:33 am

those look cute.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 6:37 am

They sound, in person, very professional. There's a hell of a lot of bass, and just enough rasp to make it badass. I gotta say, that between my HID's, FWI, stereo, and glasspacks, I don't know what the best $100 I've spent on my car is, but this is definitely one of the best $100 you'll spend on a stock Riv.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Photobucket

V.2.0
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Is that second pipe connected to your elec. cut out.?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Rickw wrote:
Is that second pipe connected to your elec. cut out.?

ya sorta like the 3000gt's selective exhaust
That whole section is put together as an assembly such that it can be unbolted from the cutout in a few minutes for track but I don't know if I'd even bother

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 CIMG0742

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 CIMG0745
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptySat May 30, 2009 11:10 am

Here's a video of driving with the glasspacks, for all who were curious:

Watch in high quality with a good set of speakers!

Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

Name : Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 pm

were did you guys buy the muffler adapters at?
Back to top Go down
9ZZPRiviera7
Rookie
9ZZPRiviera7

Name : Justin

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 pm

just did this to mine today.the adapters can be bought at most any auto store i went to autozone got the 2 1/4 adapter that comes out the glasspack at a 45' angle than got a 2 1/4 to 2" adapter for the actual 1 7/8 y pipe i cut,than i used 4 2 1/4 clamps and 2 2"clamps mated up okay and i used the existing bolts at the bumper to hold the hangers in so i didnt have to drill.whole escapade took about an hour at my work and cost 98.00 with the shops no tax rate.sounds a lot better than the holy muffler setup i had and for the price i can not complain.....
Back to top Go down
9ZZPRiviera7
Rookie
9ZZPRiviera7

Name : Justin

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 3:18 am

welp im gonna be swapping my glasspacks to the corsa axelback for an sts i found them on cl for 100 and for that i couldnt resist.i just need to find a good resonator to go with it...after that im gonna need a custom midpipe built that at least a 2.5 all the way back instead of 2.25-1.78 at the rear split.the glasspacks sound okay at idle and lower rpms but at moderate to heavy accel i get too much drone .
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 7:28 am

9ZZPRiviera7 wrote:
welp im gonna be swapping my glasspacks to the corsa axelback for an sts i found them on cl for 100 and for that i couldnt resist.i just need to find a good resonator to go with it...after that im gonna need a custom midpipe built that at least a 2.5 all the way back instead of 2.25-1.78 at the rear split.the glasspacks sound okay at idle and lower rpms but at moderate to heavy accel i get too much drone .

If the glass packs do not drone at cruise,, probably OK.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyMon May 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Every glasspack install I've seen goes to a non-stock location. Off to the sides or straight down the center. Are they too long to sit in the stock exhaust positions so that the tips are in oem location?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 EmptyMon May 12, 2014 5:11 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
Every glasspack install I've seen goes to a non-stock location. Off to the sides or straight down the center. Are they too long to sit in the stock exhaust positions so that the tips are in oem location?

Year old dead topic dude..... ride 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers   Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Glasspack Mufflers
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next