Riviera Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 37, 38, 39

New wheels for 95 Triple black??
Yes
FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_lcap33%FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
No
FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_lcap67%FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 8

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 9:45 pm

No, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling and why would I - the tires are the very same.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
Jack the R

Merit : 97

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
No, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling and why would I - the tires are the very same.

DeepFrozen wrote:
these STS rims are noticeably lighter than my new ones.

Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Enthusiast

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am

Oh, that ))
Heavier rims should affect number of things, of course. But let me tell you this. Several months ago my rear sway bar snapped at the end so the sway bar link disconnected and the sway bar stopped doing its job completely. And I didn't notice ANY difference - it gives you a hint of what kind of driver I am ) I drive very gently, I never corner hard, I never exceed speed limits (on purpose). So - no, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling with heavier rims.

P.S. I still haven't fixed my rear sway bar )
Back to top Go down
MaxLegroom

Name : Robert Smith
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 11:18 am

The matter of weight is paramount on any aftermarket rims I'd buy. Fortunately, Tire Rack lists the weight of their wheels, and allows you to filter them by weight. FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 HiDMAl3
Back to top Go down
Steve98
Steve98

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 3:17 pm

The only non-stock wheels I've ever seen on a Riv that I liked enough to buy are those cool 18" 5x120 chrome Lacrosse rims Dave (ghpcnm) put on.

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 GkHcRE4

I'm trying to decide if I can make them work.

My stock 12-spoke rims have a +32 offset and the Lacrosse rims have a +42 offset. That means, if my understanding is correct, that the Lacrosse rims - if the bolt pattern actually matched - would move the wheels 10mm inward when mounted. The wheel's wider width comes into play so that the net result, I think, is that the Lacrosse wheels would end up 2.7mm further out than the stock ones.

But of course the bolt patterns don't match and the only local shops I can find willing to do a redrill each want $200 per wheel, which I refuse to pay. So I've decided to go with adapters. I know that's not ideal, but if I get quality American-made ones and install them properly, I should be OK. I don't drive my Riv hard at all and really not even that much (about 3k per year). I think it's a reasonable risk if I am careful.

But then there's the question of how wide the adapters will be and how much width can be added before the car looks bad. I haven't yet determined the necessary width to ensure a flush wheel mount, but let's assume 1.5 inches. That would mean the wheels would protrude 1.6 inches wider than the stock wheels, which would make them just a mm or two wider than the fenders. I'm not sure how that would look. I might actually like that look or it could look silly. Has anyone mounted wheels that protruded outward that much? Do my calculations seem correct?
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Fanatic

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 pm

That would work for me.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Guru
Jack the R

Merit : 97

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2020 12:46 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
Oh, that ))
Heavier rims should affect number of things, of course. But let me tell you this. Several months ago my rear sway bar snapped at the end so the sway bar link disconnected and the sway bar stopped doing its job completely. And I didn't notice ANY difference - it gives you a hint of what kind of driver I am )  I drive very gently, I never corner hard, I never exceed speed limits (on purpose). So - no, I can't feel any difference in ride and handling with heavier rims.

P.S. I still haven't fixed my rear sway bar )

I have seen your Russian dash cam vids. You're going to have to dodge someone someday, so you might want to have that sway bar working for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv   FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv - Page 39 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Rims, Wheels that Look Good on the Riv
Page 39 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 37, 38, 39