Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Brake fitting size

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Hello,
I'm getting ready to replace most of the steel brake lines in my friend's 98 Riviera, as they are much too rusty to keep driving. I'll be buying the materials tomorrow. Looks like it's all 3/16" tubing - What fitting sizes will I need to buy?
Thank you.
Mikel

Last edited by Mikel on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:12 pm

what do u mean "fittings"? the bleed nipples? remove one of the existing ones and take to the parts store to match it up. or go to your gm dealer and get it right away for a few dollars more....
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm

I think he meant the threaded fittings that screw into all the connection points. Such as the ABS control unit, the rear proportioning valves, etc.
I can only say you are going to have to remove the existing stuff and go to the parts store to match everything up. Assuming you are flaring all your own tubing / fittings. Otherwise you will have to buy the pre-made tubing with the correct size fittings on them.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:28 pm

wow ! lots a work!,seeing that u live in ct. im not surprised. lotsa salt on the roads why do u think u need to change them? somtimes the interior of the lines are perfectly fine despite the outside apearance...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi Mike,

I think the brake lines use metric threaded fittings, but sometimes it depends where you are in the car. Also, different lines use different fittings sometimes. That's why unfortunately the best way is to go match them all up when you are doing the job. Unless somebody chimes in who knows all the fitting sizes...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:20 pm

I had to replace all of mine. From the master cylinder all the way to the rear calipers.
New England corrosion. When looking at them flaking corrosion, metal sheets of it, really bad in some area's. It was clearly becoming a safety issue. There are two parts that have to be purchased from GM. They relatively short lengths of pre bent tubing with stainless steel flex hose swedged into the line to allow movement. They are located from the ABS Control Unit up to the Master Cylinder. Do yourself a favor and order them ahead of time as it is very unlikely the dealer or Monsterpartsonline.com will have them in stock.(I'll try and find the part numbers and post them here)
I had mine done while the Trans was out for overhaul for easier access and it still cost me a bundle because I chose to pay the shop to the job while it would be less time consuming (trans out).

Sorry could not find the GM part numbers for the 2 pre-bent flexible lines.
The Repair Order just lists them as GM lines, no P/N's
If you go to the Dealer Parts window and ask for a print out of these lines with P/N's and price for future ordering, then take it home and plug it into Monster parts you'll find out how much of a discount they will be ordering on line as opposed to buying from thee dealer.
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Hello,
One of the brake lines just blew open, luckily as my friend was pulling into a gas station and not while doing 75 on the highway. The rest look very heavily rusted. I don't want to just replace the one that broke, for obvious reasons.

Brake fitting size DSC05537

The result was a 103 mile tow from Foxboro MA to Hartford CT... Thank God for AAA!
Brake fitting size DSC05535

I have a flaring tool and a lot of 3/16 tubing - I was hoping to be able to order a bunch of fittings beforehand so I can cut/bend/flare and replace one line at the time.

Thank you all.

Mikel

[img][/img][img][/img][img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brake fitting size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake fitting size   Brake fitting size Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake fitting size
Page 1 of 1