Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.

Go down 
+9
Jason
robotennis61
duckstu
Hometown Hero
T Riley
Rickw
1998 Riv
deekster_caddy
JT Newman
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:50 pm

AA wrote:
Wow. This is great, but I would have to be living in Greenland to need something like this. I'm thinking a heated garage might be as effective?
The initial cost to insulate, sheetrock and buy an appropriate size propane heater for my 28' x 34' Garage, the equivalent of a 2 car garage cost me somewhere around $2,000 and about $30.00 month in average propane cost to keep a minimum of 40-60*F.
The only problem I have is that this is just to keep a small collection of motorcycles and a shitload of tools and equipment and ME happy.
My car still has to stay outside. Not enough room in here for all of us.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Yes, but for the same price you also have a heated space that you can use for whatever, and the car stays clean and dry.

Btw, my "heated garage" consists of an oil filled electric heater for $50. The garage is not connected to the house, cinder block walls, sealed doors, and that little heater keeps it 20-30ºF above outside temps. Costs ~$50/month if I use it every night.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:01 pm

AA wrote:
Yes, but for the same price you also have a heated space that you can use for whatever, and the car stays clean and dry.

Btw, my "heated garage" consists of an oil filled electric heater for $50. The garage is not connected to the house, cinder block walls, sealed doors, and that little heater keeps it 20-30ºF above outside temps. Costs ~$50/month if I use it every night.

The car doesn't fit. So it doesn't stay clean and dry, but I know what you mean. It could if i chose to store this other stuff elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
JT Newman
Amateur

Name : Jari
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 am

It's custom install almost every time you're buing aftermarket component like this.

Of course, they sell these mostly to premium class cars here like Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and so on and they have detailed instructions for these marks and models and it's much faster and cheaper to install.

The original idea of warming the car before start has now grew something greater happy

Of course, own heated garage would be ideal. Then you wouldn't need apparatus like this, or block heaters, at all.

There is one thing too to remember: Riviera is quite a cheap car in the US so adding fuel powered heater to it, especially with prices like here in Finland, wouldn't be cost effective. But, every car in Finland is always "too" expensive, thanks to car taxing system.
You'll laugh your asses off if you want to buy Riviera from dealer here: cheapest unit is over $14000! (with 200 0000 km on it)
Well, now adding a heater isn't so expensive anymore... shocked

Timo: I didn't start engine before temperature has risen to -22°C. It took 4 seconds to start and engine revolved slowly. It always gives me creeps to cold-start engine.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 am

Quote :
There is one thing too to remember: Riviera is quite a cheap car in the US so adding fuel powered heater to it, especially with prices like here in Finland, wouldn't be cost effective. But, every car in Finland is always "too" expensive, thanks to car taxing system.
You'll laugh your asses off if you want to buy Riviera from dealer here: cheapest unit is over $14000! (with 200 0000 km on it)
Well, now adding a heater isn't so expensive anymore... :shocked:
Funny, I see it the other way around! Spending $14,000 on the car, I wouldn't want to spend another dollar on accessories. I would be more apt to spend extra money on a heater for a $3000 car, because the overall cost is still lower. It's all about your perspective.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
JT Newman
Amateur

Name : Jari
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:10 am

You're right about perspective.

Like: If you buy an expensive car you also want to take care of it a little bit better. You wash it more often, buy better oil, want to make sure that engine lasts longer.

But, I understand your point of view.

Webasto or Eberspächer unit is very easy to disassemble and install it to your next car, so you don't have to buy another again.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am

Yeah, it really wouldn't be cost effective here, where electric plugins are not hard to come by, making a $100-$200 block heater the way to go. But I can understand it in Jari's situation where he doesn't have access to an outlet. Both my vehicles are in an attached garage that doesn't normally fall below 20deg F in winter, so I don't even have block heaters installed. And daytime at work usually warms up enough to not really worry too much about the cold start at 5pm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.   Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Parking heaters, Webasto/Eberspächer etc.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3