Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount

Go down 
+27
charlieRobinson
al_roethlisberger
flyingjunebugs
flyineagle96
werdstrave
98riv
jlaw
robotennis61
VegasScott
BMD
Ship
crlombardi69
AA
Mr.Riviera
Abaddon
GMFreak8
Eldo
albertj
deekster_caddy
99Rivman
Rickw
KillaKeninaRiv
ewolfe0050
turtleman
Turbocharged400sbc
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Wow 86k and a rebuild? I wouldve been pissed! Thats kind of like the engine compartment fires in the 3800s that caused Grand
Prix's to burn up. Mine caught fire after I got out of the car and I had to sit and watch as it burned EVERYTHING under the hood... only to get a kind notice from GM a year later stating for me to take my car in to the dealership for repair to a faulty part that caused engine fires and the service would be performed for free. But what about my car that is already charred? I want another motor at minimum!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm

The only good part about premature failure of the trans was it was covered at the time under an extended warranty that I bought after buying the car.
Unfortunately I did not know about this site or any others like it so i didn't know that i should have bought some high performance parts for the rebuilder to install. I had the cash at the time but didn't have a clue.
Also the mounts weren't covered by the warranty and i was told they were not available aftermarket, only from the dealer. At that time that was a true statement as I tried searching on my own for mounts to no avail and paid the $600.00 out of pocket for those.
Now we are finding that the aftermarket is finally stepping up to the plate and making new ones for 1/3 rd the cost.
Anyway there were a lot of things i didn't know about availability of performance parts for the Riv back then because anytime you did a search on-line you came up empty. What I have since found out is that the Regal and GP's offer a lot of parts that fit.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Yeah Ive noticed that on some of the other sites such as pfyc. The GP had the same parts as Riviera and Bonneville, although I noticed that some thing were slightly different, such as the 2000 Bonneville I had took the same motor as any other Bonneville or GP but the differential in the transmission was different.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:24 pm

soooo, should I do my write-up of my LF urethane trans-mount yet? The one that eats ALL the torque???
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Abaddon wrote:
soooo, should I do my write-up of my LF urethane trans-mount yet? The one that eats ALL the torque???

if you are referring to the one at the front of the tran, then we already have 3-4 options for that one. (i prefer my window-weld/polyurethane filled mount) Most of us need a new rear one, but it's too much of a PITA to get to.
if you are talking about the one accessible from the driver wheel well then by all mean show some pics happy

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Yes, by all means the more info and documented experience the better.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
if you are referring to the one at the front of the tran, then we already have 3-4 options for that one. (i prefer my window-weld/polyurethane filled mount)

Way to kick me in the nuts grimace lol. Window weld is amazing stuff. Haven't had spare time to do a different one yet, but I will.....oh yes, I will.
I got a blown out front mount from a junk yard and made my current "window" mount. It worked so well I made 2, so now I have a spare.

Apologies for not searching through the millions of posts to view the write-ups.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 12:11 am

my bad bro. when you have a chance take a look at the write-up tab at the top, it should be in there along with the rubber mount option, shore 60 version, and the hockey puck mount wink

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 12:57 am

Abaddon wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:
if you are referring to the one at the front of the tran, then we already have 3-4 options for that one. (i prefer my window-weld/polyurethane filled mount)

Way to kick me in the nuts grimace lol. Window weld is amazing stuff. Haven't had spare time to do a different one yet, but I will.....oh yes, I will.
I got a blown out front mount from a junk yard and made my current "window" mount. It worked so well I made 2, so now I have a spare.

Apologies for not searching through the millions of posts to view the write-ups.
I still haven't found a Write Up with pic's showing what all was done to the mount and what the actual product mfg. name( other than window weld) and P/N is that was used.?
If you have that info, can you post it please.
Thank You
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 am

Sure Rick. I'll take some pics of the spare (unused) one that I have to show the finished product if you need. I don't have any Window Weld or the adhesion promoter thats required but I'll get the P/N's for ya...

Link

Last edited by AA on Sat May 22, 2010 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link to write-up)
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:07 am

Yeah when the guy was putting the bolt in the mount I kept having to slightly raise the jack so he could fit it in. I wasnt under the car myself but he said it was a bitch to do. Best $20 I spent.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2010 10:11 am

I found this on Rockauto for $27. Are we looking at a rear transmission mount?

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 3065_1

Says it will fit the following:

BUICK PARK AVENUE (1997 - 1998)
BUICK PARK AVENUE ULTRA (1997 - 1998)
BUICK RIVIERA (1995 - 1998)
OLDSMOBILE AURORA (1995 - 1998)

Link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2010 12:54 am

AA,
Do you plan on buying one, fill the gaps with the window urethane and give it a try.
If I didn't already have new ones I'd be willing to give it a try.
If and when I ever make an order from Rock Auto, I have to remember to add it to the list just to see if it fits.
Unless someone else grabs one first and lets us know if it fit's.
I have been told repeatedly that they are only available from OEM sources, but this could be bogus info.
For someone with worn out mounts this would be worth a try. It's cheap enough not to break the bank. I think the tube of urethane cost's almost as much. IDK for sure.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2010 8:32 am

need to replace all mounts soon tho under hood.
today was checking rockauto and...they don't sell anymore motor mounts? noticed only the transmission one.

As i remember they where anyways hell expencive?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2010 11:02 am

Rickw wrote:
I have been told repeatedly that they are only available from OEM sources, but this could be bogus info.

Or the aftermarket is finally producing to meet demand. Not surprising they took this long, there probably weren't many customers for this part until recently.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2010 12:38 pm

That was the mount. I needed the bolt that went through it.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2010 1:46 pm

Kenneth, you're saying the one in the picture looks like the rear mount on our cars?

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 3065_1

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I certainly hope this fits our car.
That would possibly be an indication that the Aftermarket is finally coming to the rescue on the $300.00 mounts.
If i needed stuff from Rock Auto, I would buy one just to see. And if its correct for the car, then fill it with urethane and see how it feels compared to the stock near new one I have installed. Actually, I think i remember somebody mentioning using a bonding agent prior to use of the urethane. I'll have to look into that or maybe someone will read this and know.
Even with new ($600.00) mounts, they are made very soft for the luxury Riviera and the motor rocks fore and aft quite a bit on acceleration and deceleration.

Maybe one of these days that I have lift access, I'll just clean the existing mounts and fill with the window urethane and let cure overnight and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 8:40 pm

I just got finished replacing my rear trans mount. What a PITA to do without a lift.
I will say that the mount pictured above does fit, and so does the one i bought from AZ for $50.
I didnt do a full write-up but here are the basic steps i took after much trial and error trying to figure this out.
You will need a good collection of tools to do this btw.

1. Take off both end links from the sway bar.
2. Loosen the 4 bolts holding the rear half of the sub frame on. 18mm
3. Jack the trans/motor up with a 2x4 resting on the trans pan
4. Unbolt the 2 bolts holding the steering rack on the frame. 15mm (i was able to get these from the top with a 4 foot bar, swivel joint and ratchet. They are on VERY tight)
5. Next take off the 2 torx bolts going through the bottom of the sub frame. There is a nut on the other side that i believe is an 18mm you will need to hold.
6. Take out the bolt going through the mount. 18mm on the nut end and 15mm on the bolt side.
7. At this point the trans/motor should be completely supported by the jack.
8. There are 2 final bolts going through the mount bracket into the sub frame. 18mm (you will need to rotate the sway bar out of the way)
9. There is also a 10mm screw holding the power steering lines on the mount bracket that will need to come out.
10. Wiggle out the old mount and bracket. You may need to lower the sub frame and move the PS line a little.
11. The old mount should come out easily b/c its likely deteriorated. The new one may need to be greased and hammered in place. (may work if you have a press)

Reverse the steps for reinstall.

Here is a pic of the old mount in the bracket:
Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 P7040010
Mine was so bad the center part was completely separated from the rest and would just clunk around under hard acceleration/deceleration and over bumps.
Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 P7040011

I filled the voids of the NEW mount with polyurethane from a left over 3m tube of window weld. It is very stiff now.
Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 P7040012

Overall i am Very pleased with how the car is after the install. Idle is surprising much smoother. Shifts are less noticeable and i dont have as much power loss at the shift points. There is more power to the wheels when blipping the throttle at any speed and It amy be my imagination but it feels like the car has less body roll now. Maybe the motor/trans was rocking more than i thought.

Was it worth the 6hrs of work and an aching body? YES b/c i saved a bunch of $$ doing it myself.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks for the write-up. I will be doing this soon. Btw, price for mount has dropped to $24.79 + $5.15 shipping from RockAuto.com. Anchor Part #3065. Total $28.70 out the door with 5% off discount.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 11:04 pm

It's cheaper there but i needed it ASAP b/c i'll be moving soon and wont have a garage to work in for a little while.

Take notes when you do yours in case i missed something. i was doing a lot of trial-n-error removing bolts trying to find an easier way to get it out.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Boy, the mount sure doesn't look like the drawing in the manual...
I wonder if the expensive, OEM replacement comes as a complete, bolt-in unit.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 pm

driver side complete unit is available form AZ for $102

What does the manual look like? maybe the 96 is different than the rest of them?
Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 Moz-screenshot-1Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 Moz-screenshot-2Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 4

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Eldo wrote:
Boy, the mount sure doesn't look like the drawing in the manual...
I wonder if the expensive, OEM replacement comes as a complete, bolt-in unit.
Yes, the OEM replacement that was purchased for my car during the Trans rebuild for a million dollars comes complete with all the heavy steel ready to bolt in and looks like the complete one Matt posted above.
Don't know if it's the same as the one he posted, but sure looks like it from memory.
I have the remaining metal part that eventually I'll put one of those Rock Auto mounts in with some Black Urethane and see how that feels.
Just another thing to add to the list when I drop the cradle for other repairs. Not urgent since mine was replaced, but the OEM one is too soft and allows for a lot of fore and aft movement.
Need to fill the voids in the other new one that was installed in front also.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
driver side complete unit is available form AZ for $102

What does the manual look like? maybe the 96 is different than the rest of them?

Thanks for the extra photo, I'm sure it will help others along the way.

It was my mistake, I would have sworn that I read yours as 1998 last night... that's what I get for skipping my Vitamin V. tongue
Yes, '95-'96 and '97-'98 are different because of the different trannies - '99 even uses a third one that is the cheapest! To add to the confusion, GMpartsdirect lists 3 different mounts ranging from $50 to $200, but they use the same diagrams for all years... headbutt
The only good thing I see in all of this is that the "Drive" mount, which takes most of the abuse, is the front one, which is the easiest to change.

So now I have another question: Do all years use the 4th mount on the drivers side? scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount   Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Filled Rear Motor/Transmission Mount
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next