Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Abaddon's Riv

Go down 
+40
Animator
Johnny5
98riv
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
T Riley
Snowdog
al_roethlisberger
charlieRobinson
llamalor2112
Neg Maron Rivi
deekster_caddy
ghpcnm
Derek
BlownRiv
bigdave
crlombardi69
turtleman
L67
flyineagle96
GMFreak8
J. Chris Davis
albertj
97 park ave
ghost88
AA
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
Jayrydingslab
stan
Tank
DEMonte1997
VJD2
Hometown Hero
BMD
florence_x
Abaddon
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Johnny5 wrote:
We should be intercooled by now don

Who's Don?

Dude, Scott. Cannot wait to see the beast you are making!!!
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:08 pm

He is A Bad Don BKA Scott
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 8:29 am

Well, I got a HUGE jump on car last night. I had about 1-1/2 hours "free" time. I got the S/C off, and modified my LIM...I plugged the coolant ports that go up through the S/C and TB to keep the coolant out of it. I also removed the coolant bypass under the EGR tube and used an Aluminum Bur to knock down the "wall" to allow more coolant to flow to the rear head. I got the LIM all cleaned up and ready for install.
Unfortunately, I have zero work today. I came in to an empty slot of Repair Orders. On the flip side, I can work on my Riv all day  happy 
I plan on getting the snout rebuilt, and the Valve Springs/Seals installed. The only thing I have left to remove to get to that stuff is the rear heater pipe, and the coil pack bracket.
I have pics in my phone, and I'll upload them when I'm done and can actually sit down.
Cross your fingers, and wish that I don't drop a valve into a cylinder!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 9:18 am

Abaddon wrote:
I have pics in my phone, and I'll upload them when I'm done and can actually sit down.

Pictures, AAAALLLL THE PICTURES.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 10:49 am

Dammit!!! Our heated parts washer is down!!!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Got all of the Valve Springs/Seals installed. VC gaskets are replaced. Took the time to clean the Valve Covers while they were off. I installed everything back to where all I have to do is bolt the S/C back on once I get the snout rebuilt.....hopefully Monday?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Pics or none of this happened!!! You know how it goes!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Gettin er dun! If you're really hurtin on finding a shop to open up your tb adapter, you can send it to me and I'll enlarge it to whatever you need. I already made a bed plate with the late style northstar bolt pattern for my 78mm project. Why isn't it 75mm already?  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 1:35 pm

turtleman wrote:
Gettin er dun! If you're really hurtin on finding a shop to open up your tb adapter, you can send it to me and I'll enlarge it to whatever you need. I already made a bed plate with the late style northstar bolt pattern for my 78mm project. Why isn't it 75mm already?  scratch 

It IS 75mm. Actually, I'm pissed because it's 76.8mm, NOT 75mm. Karma opened the new blower up to exactly 75mm. Now I have a ridge between the adapter and the blower. I'm certainly not touching this blower....I have pics of it. I'll load them soon.

Right now I'm at the shop rebuilding my snout.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 2:22 pm

dunno if i missed it but what MAF sensor will you be running, Scott?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 2:50 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
dunno if i missed it but what MAF sensor will you be running, Scott?

I already have the N* setup. It's been installed for years now.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Abaddon wrote:

turtleman wrote:

It IS 75mm. Actually, I'm pissed because it's 76.8mm, NOT 75mm. Karma opened the new blower up to exactly 75mm. Now I have a ridge between the adapter and the blower. I'm certainly not touching this blower....I have pics of it. I'll load them soon.

Right now I'm at the shop rebuilding my snout.

... Well you said to make it 75mm. smile

Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 5:06 pm

I know that. I'm certainly not pissed at you. I just went by what ZZP claims on their site. With the old blower, I just mounted the adapter and scribed a line to open up to. I never bothered to physically measure it.

I got the snout rebuilt yesterday, and got the blower assembled. I just need to transfer the BBV and PCV valve. I also installed my phenolic coupler that I forgot I had...yet another part in the collection lol.

I'm debating on whether or not to replace the pushrods and rockers. I have a few that are showing their mileage and abuse. For $40 I can replace all the rods. I'll have to check how much the factory rockers are. If they're too much, I think I'm going to swap them all with the Series III set I have laying around. I assume they're the same ones. Haven't checked yet.
I'll definitely get it back on the road by Friday. I can stay until 10pm or so at the shop Thursday night. That gives me a solid 3-4 hours of Riv time. I'll have to have the guys help me push it out of the shop tomorrow morning. It's in pieces in one of my stalls. I have Riv shit scattered everywhere lol.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 am

When I worked the inlet on my genV, I blended the machined 75mm lip out and ended up somewhere around 78mm without really trying to enlarge it. Really you could just do that and be good.  dunno It wouldn't be a very hard to do even if you are doing it by hand with a rotary abrasive or whatever and then just blend and smooth it nice and done. cover and tape off the inlet really good first so you don't have to tear down the blower.
I'm pretty sure my zzp throttle body adapter is pretty much dead nuts sized to the throttle body. That's weird yours a is bigger. I dunno - when I take my adapter off and bore it to the new tb i'll actually measure everything for real.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 am

I guessing he doesn't want to grind off the thermal barrier I put on the inlet. Could still get away with grinding the first half inch or so to smooth the transition. The coating was baked on, so it shouldn't chip if the leading edge was ground back a bit. (I don't *think*)  scratch 

Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:06 am

Karma wrote:
I guessing he doesn't want to grind off the thermal barrier I put on the inlet.  Could still get away with grinding the first half inch or so to smooth the transition.  The coating was baked on, so it shouldn't chip if the leading edge was ground back a bit. (I don't *think*)  scratch 

Bingo. I certainly don't want to take off that barrier.
Maybe when the Intercooler project gets started I'll consider doing it.....
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:36 am

Here is the ridge I'm talking about. You guys think I should knock it down or leave it for now?
Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 Tb10
Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 Tb_mea10
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 am

I would leave it. Even though Karma thinks you'll be OK as far as not damaging the thermal coating, I wouldn't want to risk it.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 pm

This effin supercharger whistles lol....it's crazy. After all the oil and coolant burns off of everything, I'm going for a ride.
I (obviously) got it all together

Something doesn't sound right. I think the bearings in the rotor pack I bought are rusty. I have a hollow, rolling sound, and the brand new S/C fluid is brown. Wtf.....
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Something doesn't sound right. I think the bearings in the rotor pack I bought are rusty. I have a hollow, rolling sound, and the brand new S/C fluid is brown. Wtf.....

That doesn't sound good. Can you rebuild the bearings or do you need to buy a new rotor pack?

Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm sure everything in there is rebuildable with the right equipment, although I'm yet to see purchasable bearings for the rotor pack.
It seems to have quieted down...I drove her home tonight. We'll see how it sounds in the morning. I think I'm going to leave her at the shop for the week and try to get the P/S pump replaced. I also need to replace the belt tensioner. It felt horrible when I released it.

I just need some good time alone with her. Even though I'm a mechanic, the last thing I want to do is work on my own car when I get home. Things always get put on the back burner until absolutely necessary. She deserves to be right again...even if it means not driving it for a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 am

You can do pack bearings but they are kind of a pain. There is a cast edge that you have to remove to be able to get them out, and then there is pressing the gears back on so the rotors still mesh right. Kinda a shim the rotor tips thing whilst slid into the casing to get it right. Its honestly less pain to buy another pack. Even if you might get the odd dud.

Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 am

Right. I really don't want to take it apart again sad

I think I have a header leak now, or the DP is coming apart. Sitting in the driveway through the winter was hell for this car. I'm seriously tempted to give up on it and start a new project. I'll gut this car of everything I've done and off it. After seeing underneath it yesterday, and what the winter has done, I don't think I have any other option. It's going to fall apart very soon. Damn shame too. It's only the underbody that's a disaster.
Here in Michigan, we can make a car run forever, but unfortunately we can't keep the bodies attached to the frame.....

giveup 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 11:17 am

At least the rotor pack is an easy swap. (Not at all like the m62)

Sucks about the under body. Drive it till the front leaves the back behind! Or at least drive the crap out of it for a summer.

Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Yep. I want to drive it. It's driving me nuts about the whole situation. I've had this car for a very long time, and I really don't like the idea of getting rid of it. However, I am a realist, and I see no sense in wasting more time and money in something that's inevitably going to fall apart. I think I'm going to replace the P/S pump (I have a brand new GM one in the basement), and get this crazy noise figured out. I'm hoping that it's just a header tick of some sort. It's only audible under a load, and gets CRAZY loud at WOT. The Knock sensors aren't picking up any knock, so I'm praying that it isn't the engine itself. The thing runs great, just noisy as hell.

I'll be actively looking for a new project over the summer months. If/when it happens, this Rivi is getting gutted of everything not factory that I've installed...including the transmission. That thing is definitely going in the next 3800 car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abaddon's Riv   Abaddon's Riv - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Abaddon's Riv
Page 14 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General :: Showroom-
Jump to: