Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Riviera floating to left on braking?

Go down 
+7
albertj
Abaddon
7901mark
deekster_caddy
AA
97 park ave
GMFreak8
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Riviera floating to left on braking? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riviera floating to left on braking?   Riviera floating to left on braking? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Eldo wrote:
Off topic, I know, but at least Kyle gave us a nice picture of the aluminum/horizontal/98-99 control arms. The first time I saw that vertical bushing in my aluminum '97 arm, I just knew it was gonna' be a headache when it came time to replace it - and then the company that built the whole replace-as-unit arms goes out of business!
I'd sure like to know why the hell they didn't build them the 'normal' way in the first place... gripe
When the time comes and you need bushings and/or ball joint replacement you will need to cut the front brackets and weld some new pieces for a 98 - 99 fitment.
Unless by then, someone like Dorman offer's new one's in that configuration.
So to set me straight is the 97 an aluminum control arm with the front bushing vertical and all the previous are steel.?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Riviera floating to left on braking?   Riviera floating to left on braking? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Off topic, I know, but at least Kyle gave us a nice picture of the aluminum/horizontal/98-99 control arms. The first time I saw that vertical bushing in my aluminum '97 arm, I just knew it was gonna' be a headache when it came time to replace it - and then the company that built the whole replace-as-unit arms goes out of business!
I'd sure like to know why the hell they didn't build them the 'normal' way in the first place... gripe
When the time comes and you need bushings and/or ball joint replacement you will need to cut the front brackets and weld some new pieces for a 98 - 99 fitment.
Unless by then, someone like Dorman offer's new one's in that configuration.
So to set me straight is the 97 an aluminum control arm with the front bushing vertical and all the previous are steel.?

- YUK!! Looks like I better put control arms on my spare-parts search-list!

- That is correct. I always knew that the aluminum debuted in '97, but I didn't know until the other day that they re-oriented the bushing the very next year - and I'll bet the Aurora used different arms, too, just to make things as difficult as possible.

What I'm not clear on is if the steel '95 & '96 arms are the same, and which way their front & rear bushings are oriented...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Riviera floating to left on braking?   Riviera floating to left on braking? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 5:28 pm

After seeing that sub frame on such a low mileage 98, it puts even more of a sense of urgency for me to get all the POR-15 I am going to need and get lift space for a day or more and try to get in the channels with some of the product. Hell, even if I have to drill some small holes and use a wand to spray it in, I will. I also plan on buying a shitload of 3M discs to do as much corrosion removal from the surfaces that i can before treating the metal.

Remember when Zeibart first came out. They would drill holes in all the panels and make swish cheese out of your vehicle then put plastic plugs in the holes.

I don't know if they only operated in the Northeast or what, but they did heavy TV promotions and every damn car dealer you went to buy a new car would already have the cost of the service on the window sticker. The salesmen would try and tell you sorry the car has already been treated and we can't remove that from the price of the vehicle.
Which was utter BS, but up here in the snow belt they had already started using salt to corrode everyone's cars, oh, and try to melt some snow while their at it.
Now with that damn gel they put down on the roads, that stuff finds it's way into every nook and cranny and seems to be 10 times more corrosive than salt.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Riviera floating to left on braking?   Riviera floating to left on braking? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Eldo wrote:
That is correct. I always knew that the aluminum debuted in '97, but I didn't know until the other day that they re-oriented the bushing the very next year - and I'll bet the Aurora used different arms, too, just to make things as difficult as possible.
Can't you find out about the Aurora by looking in the FSM.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riviera floating to left on braking?   Riviera floating to left on braking? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Riviera floating to left on braking?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3