Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement

Go down 
+15
Sir Psycho Sexy
rchargrove
Abaddon
robotennis61
bigdave
98riv
Sweepspear
playa
manofmany
ibmoses
Rickw
deekster_caddy
albertj
Eldo
Jack the R
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 2:39 pm

A circuit is always a circuit, AC or DC. But since a car is made of metal, non-electronic (non-fussy) items can use the body as the negative return... The motor isn't grounded because the + & - have to be reversed by the switch in order to reverse the motor. Thus, you can't short out the bare wire when you're fishing it into the door unless the motor itself has an internal short. If that were the case, I think you would have seen some smoke by now. happy

Just to follow proper procedures, use the 3M to connect to the motor from battery positive, and use the bare wire for negative - then nothing will happen if you touch something else in the door.

PS - Rick is right, the only way you're gonna' get bitten by 12V is if you're standing barefoot in salt water.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Eldo wrote:
PS - Rick is right, the only way you're gonna' get bitten by 12V is if you're standing barefoot in salt water.
And even then you might only feel a tingle at most.
You can grab both the positive and negative battery cables and feel NOTHING.
Your safe Jack.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Lotsa sparky sparky, no movement from the motor.

More money for Monster Parts Online . . .
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Try Morads, I know they have several. Unless you don't want used.
See what they cost new at monster and then offer Morads like 20-25% of new, depending on mileage.
I think monster will only offer it as a regulator assembly. Which consists of the track and motor assy. More expensive that way.
Come to think of it that's the way Morads advertises them also, IIRC.
OEM P/N is 22154977 for the left door
22154978 for the right door
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Well, I was wrong Monster parts does offer just the motor for about 125.00.
Need to use the above p/n to find the left one though. Their listing only shows the right one for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 5:14 pm

Have you tried disassembling the motor to see if it's just corrosion on internal connections or are the brushes worn out, etc
You can pull the motor from the door, don't forget to tape the window glass up to hold it in position in case it wants to fall after removing the motor, and disassemble and test on the bench. Much easier than messing with it in the door.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Morads has a couple for 79.00 shipped.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Morad-Parts-Company_Buick-Riviera-1995-1999_W0QQ_fsubZ13482291QQ_sidZ38997246?_nkw=window+regulator&submit=Search

I always email them and offer less and they usually go for it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:05 pm

I found it on Monster under Electrical , Body electrical ,Front door ,Window motor - Window motor, aurora, riveria, left $101.20

Wouldn't that be better than used? The used part could have more miles on it than the one I've got.

I'll take it apart and look at it. While it's a sizeable motor it looks like a basic cheap as crap brushed motor. Can you get the brushes for these?

How do you tape the window up? There's no frame to tape it too dunno
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Yes, I would get new also for that price.
I forgot about the design of our window / body lacking a window frame.
Is your window currently in the UP position, if so when you remove the motor be careful to hold the glass and try to let it go down and rest on the bottom of the track's travel.
Just wanted to give you a heads up to be careful with it that's all. It might not try to fall down on you, I don't know for sure. You'll just have to see how it reacts.
You might be able to find the parts to rebuild it, but it's not worth it if a new replacement is only $100.00

Last edited by Rickw on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Wouldn't hurt to price it from the dealer...
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Yeah, it's up.

Shouldn't it lock into position? It doesn't sound like good design to have the motor supporting the weight of the glass.

I may lay off of this until I know I can have the car down for a while again, just in case.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Yeah, it's up.

Shouldn't it lock into position? It doesn't sound like good design to have the motor supporting the weight of the glass.

I may lay off of this until I know I can have the car down for a while again, just in case.
I don't know what it is going to do once you remove the motor. Maybe nothing. But it would be a good idea to have the replacement motor in hand and just do a swap.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Once again, Rick is absolutely right... There is a counterbalance spring, as I mentioned originally, but the motor assembly is self-locking. It is a worm-gear system - easy for the actual motor inside the assembly to turn, with high torque multiplication, but it cannot be turned in reverse (from the output shaft.)

! Use something to prevent the glass from dropping when you remove the motor. After that, you can lower the glass by hand until it equalizes with the spring, and then attach the new motor.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 10:34 pm

I have an inexpensive tool made to hold the window when replacing regulator assemblies. It consists of two suction cups attached to each other by a cord.
On a window with a door frame you put one suction cup on the outside of the window and the other on the inside with the cord going over the top of the frame and it holds the window in the up position. I actually got two of them for extra insurance.
On a car without a door frame, like the Riv, you can put the suction cups on the window glass (outside) and the others on the roof of the car to hold it up. But you have to be able to remove the motor with the door closed and work from the inside.
This is where it helps to have second person holding the glass for you while you do the swap with door open.

BTW JR, what happened to the pictures that were in your sig?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 am

Alrightey, will start looking for suction cups. I'll put 'em on a rope and throw it over a rafter so I can work with the door open.

About the sig pics, I decided to take them down while AA battles GM's corporate lawyers. Better safe than sorry as they say
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:05 pm

Hmm, came back from TN and got in my car and tried to roll the window down, nothing. Whatever I drove some a tried it an hour later and it rolled down and worked for about a week. Today it's not working again. I can hear clicking in the door. Is this likely the switch, motor, or something else? Passanger window did this as well recently.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Sounds like what happened when my motor was going out. Acted like that for a couple years.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:39 pm

So you could hear it clicking inside the door?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Has anyone got an old window motor, or know the specs of it? I'd like to search around and see if I can come up with another motor that would work. Maybe something for an R/C rock crawler, who knows? If I can get some info for this one I'll post on an R/C forum and see.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 3:33 pm

JR, what happened to your old one. Didn't you replace one motor already ????
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 5:56 pm

I haven't replaced it yet.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 6:36 pm

I thought you found a New replacement for around $100.00.
What's wrong with that price for new.????

Or disassemble and try replacing the brushes only.!!!!!

Here is one to try:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno961949.aspx

Look beyond the image of what show's up for the one that best matches the Riv.
If you've had yours out or have had a good look at it you should be able to tell.
Or call him, he's been very helpful with me on Alternator parts.

Much less expensive.

Last edited by Rickw on Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Suction cups = housewares section, either with the picture hanging stuff or the bathroom stuff.

Used vs new window motor = the Riv window motor is in the same case as many others but runs faster. Seriously. This is more 'trivia' than trouble and likely is not worth worrying about. Take this as an FYI. If you get a motor from Monster or GMPD you'll get the faster motor. If you buy an aftermarket replacement you'll get the slower standard motor. If you get a rebuilt motor (Cardone) you *might or might not* get the faster motor. What about me? When my passenger side motor failed the dealer replaced it with an aftermarket motor from CarQuest because there was no OE motor in range. Yes it winds a little slower but you'd have to know to notice, it does not really make a difference.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 7:14 pm

albertj wrote:
What about me? When my passenger side motor failed the dealer replaced it with an aftermarket motor from CarQuest because there was no OE motor in range. Yes it winds a little slower but you'd have to know to notice, it does not really make a difference.

Albertj
Albert, do you remember how much $$$ for the CarQuest replacement motor????
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Rickw wrote:
I thought you found a New replacement for around $100.00.
What's wrong with that price for new.????

I don't mind saving a buck but I'm curious to know if I can hack together a solution with a $20 motor and it may help out the younger forum members.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next