Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement

Go down 
+15
Sir Psycho Sexy
rchargrove
Abaddon
robotennis61
bigdave
98riv
Sweepspear
playa
manofmany
ibmoses
Rickw
deekster_caddy
albertj
Eldo
Jack the R
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 am

robotennis61 wrote:
I'm a little sketchy on the motor repair. is the window motor like an alternator,that you have to replace brushes or some such?
It is a DC Motor. Yes, it has brushes and an armature, etc like a small DC Generator.
You could find brushes to replace and possibly refurbish the unit. The only problem with that is by the time you got done testing it completely after it has been operating for 10 or more years, you will most likely find many other parts inside worn to their limits as well and would conclude that it is cheaper to just replace the whole motor assembly.
If you had an accumulation of a bunch of these motors, used, you could probably refurbish some of them by mix and matching and just buying some new brushes and bearings, but would it be worth it in the long run. I say no, just replace the unit with new not refurbed.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 am

interesting
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 12:13 am

98riv wrote:
I had been having problems with my passenger side window rolling up and down slowly, so I just replaced the motor today and it is still having the same problem. It seems to slow down once it reaches half way down.

I disagree with the folks who say you can't replace the motor only, as you have obviously already found...

My first instinct was that your counter-balance spring was mis-set, except that you said that they window originially was slow going both down AND up... I vote for breaking out the manual and giving it the whole, annoying frameless-window adjustment process.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:49 am

robotennis61 wrote:
I'm a little sketchy on the motor repair. is the window motor like an alternator,that you have to replace brushes or some such?

The window motor has brushes, but in every window motor failure I've seen it's just that the magnets come unglued from the can.

I was told that when the brushes were riveted in place the magnets did not work loose unless the rivet was not done right in the first place.

They could get rid of the problem by stamping dimples in the cans that the magnets would slide behind or making a little plastic frame that would fit in the can to hold them in place. Either would add manufacturing steps and require equipment and tooling $$ costing more than the glue. Given the glued magnets last so long that'd likely be a tough discussion for many if not most component makers trying to meet any competitive cost targets. Given current knowledge of mettalurgy and chemistry I bet that someone is cheaping out on one or more of the glue, the can, or the manufacturing process (probably the cleaning). Given how long the glue holds (usually in the range of a 10-year 150,000 mile engineering target) I bet it would be tough to get someone to care. Call it 'engineering tradeoffs.' I bet that for some other makes/models of car you might get a better design.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 am

Eldo wrote:
98riv wrote:
I had been having problems with my passenger side window rolling up and down slowly, so I just replaced the motor today and it is still having the same problem. It seems to slow down once it reaches half way down.

I disagree with the folks who say you can't replace the motor only, as you have obviously already found...

My first instinct was that your counter-balance spring was mis-set, except that you said that they window originially was slow going both down AND up... I vote for breaking out the manual and giving it the whole, annoying frameless-window adjustment process.

I will have to look in the manual and look it over. I don't have the manual next to me, but can you adjust the counter-balance spring?

Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Here are the window adjustments.....hope it helps.

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 98Rivglassadjust

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 98glassmeasure
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks Scott, that helps a lot!

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 12:56 pm

I moved a few posts below from the alternator thread. I haven't had much time to check out the problem with the window motor. Just trying to get some more ideas before I have the door apart.

Last edited by 98riv on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 3:07 pm

98riv wrote:
I ended up getting a new battery and so far everything seems to be back to normal. I still have to figure out why the window motor on the passenger side is so slow, but that will have to wait until it gets warmer out.

Window is driven by a DC motor. DC motor speed depends on having adequate current to work at all and supply voltage above a threshold. Any given DC motor is/can be rated for a certain RPM at a certain voltage and current. It may turn at 2/3 or 1/2 or less the rated voltage, but will turn slower than if at the rated voltage provided enough current. It will not turn if provided the rated voltage at inadequate current. The higher the voltage the faster it will turn up to a limit (burnout/failure).

So if your motor is running slower than it used to it has in internal problem, or an external wiring problem, that is cuttting voltage. It could be that your battery's run down due to age - or due to a problem in that motor or elsewhere.

If I were you and I had a little time on my hands, I'd check the witing to the motor. If the wiring looked/tested OK I'd replace the motor, and I'd try to get an OE motor (the OE motors were pretty quick). A motor and regulator from a donor junkyard Riv might be easiest; that failing (or undesirable for some reason), a replacement rebuilt might be. There's a writeup somewheres on this site detailing window motor replacement.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Could a bad regulator also cause something like this?

Last edited by 98riv on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Did you do all the stuff RickW recommended back on November 19th?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Window Motor Temp   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 am

My driver-side window gets slow at times. The bushing in the center of the "X-beam" is blown out and hangs up sometimes. Problem is, you can't buy the door internals anymore (I've checked). Still haven't found a good one at a yard. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to repair it.
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 pm

albertj wrote:
Did you do all the stuff RickW recommended back on November 19th?

Not yet, just trying to get some more ideas before I have time to do some troubleshooting.

Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Abaddon wrote:
My driver-side window gets slow at times. The bushing in the center of the "X-beam" is blown out and hangs up sometimes. Problem is, you can't buy the door internals anymore (I've checked). Still haven't found a good one at a yard. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to repair it.

If you can get at your bearing to measure it, chances are you can find a replacement here.

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Hmmm. Thanks for the link. If I ever get around to it, I'll fix it....lol
Back to top Go down
rchargrove
Special

Name : roy hargrove
Merit : 1

PostSubject: power windows   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 pm

are the power window motors interchangeable from one side to the other?
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:28 pm

I updated the links for the pictures in the write up. Let me know if anyone has any problem viewing them.

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Finally had time to inspect the passenger side window and found a bunch of old very sticky grease behind the big gear that attaches to the window motor. I tried to clean it as best I could without removing the window and it seems to be working better. Would have liked to remove the window and track from the door, but wasn't sure what kind of job that would be.

Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 7:16 pm

I read through this write-up a bit and didn't find the exact problem that I have, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Anyyywwaaayyyyy....

Since like, late summer, my drivers window has been doing this thing where it will roll down about halfway, then it will make a loud, grindy, clicky noise and not go down any further, but if I push on the top of the window with my hand, it will go down the rest of the way. The same thing happens coming up, but the window doesn't close ALL the way. It goes up enough where the inside of the car won't get wet when it rains, but it will whistle if I go over 50 mph or so.

The window goes up and down at a normal speed other than that.

The only window regulator I ever replaced was one of the cable-driven ones, so I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 8:40 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
I read through this write-up a bit and didn't find the exact problem that I have, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Anyyywwaaayyyyy....

Since like, late summer, my drivers window has been doing this thing where it will roll down about halfway, then it will make a loud, grindy, clicky noise and not go down any further, but if I push on the top of the window with my hand, it will go down the rest of the way. The same thing happens coming up, but the window doesn't close ALL the way. It goes up enough where the inside of the car won't get wet when it rains, but it will whistle if I go over 50 mph or so.

The only window regulator I ever replaced was one of the cable-driven ones, so I don't even know where to start.

Does your window "wobble" when it's about half way down? Has it been rattling in the door when halfway or partway down? Our windows sit on a giant "X" frame, with a single stud in the center of it as a pivot point. That stud wears out, and eventually will throw the whole thing out of time/alignment. I assume that when you push up/out on the window, you temporarily re-align everything and the window is able to finish its cycle downward.
It's the mechanism itself that goes bad. It isn't available anymore, and is a giant PITA to try and fix/replace.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

Does your window "wobble" when it's about half way down? Has it been rattling in the door when halfway or partway down? Our windows sit on a giant "X" frame, with a single stud in the center of it as a pivot point. That stud wears out, and eventually will throw the whole thing out of time/alignment. I assume that when you push up/out on the window, you temporarily re-align everything and the window is able to finish its cycle downward.
It's the mechanism itself that goes bad. It isn't available anymore, and is a giant PITA to try and fix/replace.

Thanks Scott, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Yeah, it kind of wobbles back and forth. So to fix this, I would have to replace the entire "x" frame scissor jack thing? And that's going to totally suck?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

Yeah, it kind of wobbles back and forth. So to fix this, I would have to replace the entire "x" frame scissor jack thing? And that's going to totally suck?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Yes, it sucks. It's the entire length of the window. You might be able to get away with fabricating some sort of bolt/bearing device for the center piece. I've never tried repairing mine because it still works without any issues up or down. It's just that at certain points, it rattle like mad. All I do is roll it down or up 1/2", and it stops.

Best thing to do is get the door panel off and have a physical look at what's going on in there.

FYI....you posted 3 times lol.
Back to top Go down
unteir
Rookie
unteir

Name : Josh
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 EmptySun May 03, 2015 6:30 pm

2 weeks ago my master switch died and my drivers side window wouldn't work. Bought a used one off eBay and worked flawlessly and quickly for almost a week. Yesterday it was working fine but when I left work my window wouldn't go down. Then i was working fine again this morning and afternoon but when i went back to the car to check it wasnt working I can hear something clicking when I press the button but nothing happens. Haven't checked the boot in the door yet for a broken ground the harness is all taped up (anyone know how to remove that entire harness?) also I still have door lock control and passenger window control from the master switch. 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement   Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Window Motor Replacement
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next