Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys

Go down 
+65
charlieRobinson
Z-type
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
stan
J. Chris Davis
llamalor2112
96_Juggernaut
Yardley
al_roethlisberger
9001psi
joshuadalegrimes
highwaywarrior
atvinstructor1
98RiviSC
gmann3001
ghost88
turtleman
Jamax
denim
dboydakid
dtrumbo
BKRIV
LARRY70GS
Jayrydingslab
54_nailhead
24198tom
Abaddon
playa
billythekid7
Eldo
71gsx455-4spd
GMFreak8
T Riley
DEMonte1997
wyomork
robotennis61
BMD
Mikel
L67
RivGuy
TonySmooth89
sburch23
Mr.Riviera
Rickw
andrzejsze
1wickedninja
Sweepspear
97rivsc
manofmany
albertj
SuperRiv07
curious riv
robertwolf86
deekster_caddy
98riv
dreww
2toneRivi
ibmoses
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
Jack the R
AA
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:26 pm

billythekid7 wrote:
is there a trick to doing this idler pully for the supercharger in front of the motor mount....or how do you know how to do it the easiest way???...i have a 98 riv sc

thanks
There is a complete write up on here somewhere that explains how to replace all pulleys and belts with pictures and descriptions and i believe P/N's of all the pulleys and highlights showing which ones are left hand threads.
I do not know which pulley you are referring to but the write up has a good pic of the engine pointing out all the pulleys, their names, the P/N's and direction of rotation for the fasteners.
You may not need to change all the pulleys that this write up describes, but you can easily pull out of it the information on pulling the engine mount to get to the lower pulley (if that is the one you need to replace, the one you can hardly see at the bottom).
If you haven't replaced all the pulley's and this one is making noise then consider doing all of them at once, it will save you a lot of grief in the future.
When one starts to go, they all are usually ready to follow.
If you have already done the other but just put off doing this one because of the difficulty then ignore my previous suggestions.
Without the cost of belts, I think i spent about $100.00 to do all the pulleys at the same time (with a discount from local Auto Parts store) I used metal pulleys to replace any that were plastic.

Edit: It looks like our posts have been moved for us by admin. This is where all your questions will be answered.
Start at the beginning and read through and print what you will need to do the job.
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 4:14 am

Two words: THAT SUCKED!!!

Great write-up though. Glad to finally have tackled this for my Riv. Took a little longer than 3 hours. That power steering pump was a bitch and made me cry tears of frustration
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 9:10 am

playa wrote:

Great write-up though. Glad to finally have tackled this for my Riv. Took a little longer than 3 hours. That power steering pump was a bitch and made me cry tears of frustration

Completing your first one is almost like a rite of passage.
Congratulations! yay
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 am

playa wrote:

It's fun tryin to get those 13mm's through the pulley and in ain't it? evil
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 am

That was one of the "fun" parts of the job, as I recall. Congrats on getting this done, you shouldn't have to revisit this project for a long time now. I also took longer than 3 hrs, but then I do anything BUT rush thru these jobs.
Back to top Go down
24198tom
Rookie

Name : Tom Hiatt
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:55 am

I just did mine today. All 4 pulleys and 2 belts. It took me about 5 hours to do. I could not get the bolts started in the power steering pump. You are working blind because you can't see where the bolt holes are. I used all Dayco steel pulleys and Goodyear Gator Back belts. I hope I don't have to do this again for a while. All of the pulleys that I removed were original and all were plastic. The car is a 1996 Riv with 190000 miles on it. I never thought about changing the pulleys until I read this thread. I'm glad its over, I have to go rest my back for a while. I want to thank everyone who enlightened this forum. See you next time
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 9:50 am

Congrats on finishing the job. It's a pain in the neck, but you probably saved yourself $200-300 labor!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

Name : Luke
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 4:19 pm

I just replaced all 4 pulleys and new belts on my Riv over the weekend. Took about 4 hours, could have done it in a shorter time if the parts store hadn't given me one incorrect pulley and I forgot to put the spacer back on the bracket stud that is behind the power steering pump. Needless to say after having to unbolt and bolt the power steering pump twice in that time span I'm pretty good and finding the bolt holes and getting those two bolts started now. It was not as hard of a process as I thought it would be, just time consuming.
Back to top Go down
Jayrydingslab
Amateur
Jayrydingslab

Name : REMY
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Man my s/c idelier pully just blew up on me one belt is gone and the acc belt is about to go ? can i start the car with out the s/c hooked up and what will happen to the car if i drive it without the s/c idelier pully is not on man i wish one of u guys lived in MD
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Yes you can drive the car moderately without the SC belt on.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Eldo wrote:
Yes you can drive the car moderately without the SC belt on.

. . . but you won't like it very much. No power at all.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 6:33 pm

Jayrydingslab wrote:
Man my s/c idelier pully just blew up on me one belt is gone and the acc belt is about to go ? can i start the car with out the s/c hooked up and what will happen to the car if i drive it without the s/c idelier pully is not on man i wish one of u guys lived in MD

This just happened to my dad, and in his case the pulley seized. But whats weird is that I couldn't find any evidence of the exploded plastic pulley parts?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 7:31 pm

BMD wrote:
Jayrydingslab wrote:

This just happened to my dad, and in his case the pulley seized. But whats weird is that I couldn't find any evidence of the exploded plastic pulley parts?

Confession:

I've lost the SC idler pulley and the acc idler pulley the same way. Which taught me this general observation:

Do not ignore squeaks under the hood.

Even if you decide to delay repair, at least ascertain the cause.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 10:50 pm

What happened to all the pics??????? frown
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 10:11 am

BMD wrote:
What happened to all the pics??????? frown

They are still there. You have to right click on the picture and copy the link to the address bar. I guess the image host that jack originally used when he created the write up decided to turn off hot linking pictures.

Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 7:02 pm

albertj wrote:
BMD wrote:
Jayrydingslab wrote:

Confession:

I've lost the SC idler pulley and the acc idler pulley the same way. Which taught me this general observation:

Do not ignore squeaks under the hood.

Even if you decide to delay repair, at least ascertain the cause.

Albertj

TRUTH.

Friend of mine has a 99' Regal GS. Called me complaining about a squeak and funny grinding noise under the hood. I told him to check pulleys. He was too lazy and said noise went away. Literally a week later he said the car wasn't making boost and he lost the belt. All that was left on the SC tensioner was the hub/nub of the old plastic pulley. The pulley shot off to between the engine compartment and the back of the headlight housing. It was fun prying the old bearing off the tensioner... gripe haha
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 5:06 pm

To anyone who has cut their spacer in half, what did you use to cut it? And were you able to cut it evenly in half?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 5:09 pm

I'd think a hacksaw would do it.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm

AA wrote:
I'd think a hacksaw would do it.

Yeah, I'm sure a hack saw would do it. I'm just concerned about cutting it straight, so that the 2 halves fit together without aligning. I wonder if a machine shop could cut it perfectly? Has anyone measured the spacer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Below is the proceedure I located direct from AllDataPro to replace my idler pulley which is making some noise - moderator please put this where it needs to be - THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT If anyone has replaced the idler pulley please post a write up. Thanks!

Drive Belt Idler Pulley Replacement

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

J 28467-360 Engine Support Fixture
J 28467-94 Engine Support Fixture Adapter
J 28467-330 Engine Support Fixture Adapter
J28467-350 Engine Support Fixture Adapter

Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Remove the front lower splash shield.
Drain the coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling the Coolant System in Cooling System.
Close the radiator drain cock. Install the front splash shield.
Lower the vehicle.
Install the J 28467-360 to the engine.
Remove the supercharger belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement (VIN 1).
Remove the ignition module.
Remove the supercharger belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement (VIN 1).
Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement (VIN 1).
Remove the torque axis engine mount. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement.
Remove the power steering pump. Set the pump aside. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement in Steering and Suspension.
Remove the engine mount bracket. Refer to Engine Mount Bracket Replacement.
Remove the idler pulley/bracket bolts.
Remove the idler pulley/bracket.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Install the idler pulley/bracket.
Install the idler pulley/bracket bolts.
Tighten the bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the engine mount bracket. Refer to Engine Mount Bracket Replacement.
Install the power steering pump. Refer to Power Steering Pump Replacement in Steering and Suspension.
Install the torque axis engine mount. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement.
Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement (VIN 1).
Install the supercharger belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement (VIN I -Supercharger).
Install the ignition module.
Install the supercharger belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement (VIN 1).
Remove the engine support fixture.
Refill the coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 am

which pulley? This sounds like the procedure for the pulley stuck behind the engine mount, in which case it's a relatively accurate procedure, although I don't think you need to drain the coolant. I didn't. For the other pullies you don't need to remove the front engine mount.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Yep, thats the procedure for that pulley behind the mount.....
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 pm

ugh............thanks! How about preferences for Gatorback vs other's...I have researched and seem to think gatorback is best bet also a friend of mine said he has a 3.06" dia pulley??? what would this do for me i have seen many others and was considering a 3.4 from ZZP prior to hearing this may be available?
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:24 pm

BKRIV wrote:
ugh............thanks! How about preferences for Gatorback vs other's...I have researched and seem to think gatorback is best bet also a friend of mine said he has a 3.06" dia pulley??? what would this do for me i have seen many others and was considering a 3.4 from ZZP prior to hearing this may be available?

Gatorback's are good belts. Don't run a supercharger pulley smaller than stock without the supporting modifications. It takes a lot of supporting mods to be able to run smaller than a 3.4. Here are some threads that you need to check out:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t23-faq-modding-101-how-to-increase-acceleration-performance

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t28-faq-what-is-spark-knock-what-is-kr-knock-retard

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t3656-faq-smaller-sc-pulley-what-size

Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Quote :
How about preferences for Gatorback vs other's...I have researched and seem to think gatorback is best

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t607-faq-serpentine-belts-brands-and-types

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next