Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning

Go down 
+10
Rickw
99Rivman
deekster_caddy
GMFreak8
woggy
Snowdog
xxsupergman25xx
robotennis61
AA
RivGuy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning Empty
PostSubject: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 3:50 pm

I have a 97 SC with 23000 miles, dealer put new belts on for me and now when make a right turn under power I get what sounds like a bad wheel bearing, but it did not do it till the belts were changed. When you turn right with no power it sounds OK Left turn OK.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 4:40 pm

I wonder if this could have something to do with the engine mount that needs removed to access the belts? Was it correctly replaced and tightened?

To confirm, you can take a right turn hard with no throttle, and there's no noise, right?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 5:04 pm

whats a roar? maybe its more of a grinding noise?
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:56 pm

No noise when turning right without power, and the roaring noise is not grinding but a low level roaring kinda like a bad bearing but steady opposed to spaced out, hard to discribe, but all was done was R&Ring the engine mount to replace the 2 belts
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 am

... cat
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:29 am

robotennis61 Did you foget include a construtive comment in your reply? would appreciate some helpfull info.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:38 am

lol could it be ur power steering is going bad?
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:06 pm

roaring?...could be a hiden tiger...lol:D

well if your bearing is bad you can hear the noise when you drive straight and when you turn then it should go aweay...depending which side bearing is bad....normaly the bearing goes bad in the 'midle'...and when you turn right or left inside the bearing the balls move on right or left side of the bearing ring where it has not cone so bad yet...then it would not make a sound.
and the bearing sound you could hear on +40miph.

i dont think its bearings fault when you say that the sound comes only on turning?. are the belts correctly on pulleys? well its a small chance but maybe the belt isent fully on the power steering pulley what will start to make a sound when you turn hard cos the pump slows the belt movement...

(i know my english suck but i truy my best...lol)
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Quote :
well if your bearing is bad you can hear the noise when you drive straight and when you turn then it should go aweay...depending which side bearing is bad....normaly the bearing goes bad in the 'midle'...and when you turn right or left inside the bearing the balls move on right or left side of the bearing ring where it has not cone so bad yet...then it would not make a sound.
I've always experienced the opposite - quiet on the straight, and growling when putting load on the bad bearing in a hard turn.

But I don't think a bearing is Bob's problem, as he's said it corresponds with throttle + turn. A bearing wouldn't do that. Maybe check CV joints for a rip in the boot?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
woggy
Enthusiast
woggy

Name : Paul
Location : Altoona, Florida (Somewhere in the ocala national forest)
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm

with 23k on the car I doubt a bearing is failing, as for a cv it would make a loud clicking sound when turning, so prolly not a cv joint. I would check belt alignment with all pulleys. I suspect a tensioner pulley to be the culprit.
also check that motor mount to see if it straight and the bolts are tight.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Good point about the low mileage. I'm still thinking it's the motor mount.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 5:28 pm

a similiar sound,not exactly a roar,could come from the power steering rack or pump when the wheel is turned to full lock, it can make a whiring sound cat
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 5:46 pm

like roboslammer said....it makes an ALARMING whirrrr noise. heard more at slower turns. colder temps also seems to aggrivate the hell out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Crunching/Clunking on takeoff and turning. Engine Mounts?   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 7:19 pm

So I brought the Riviera in for an oil change yesterday. For the last month or so I've heard what amounts to cold snow crunching under the wheels on harder takeoffs and especially when making a turn onto a street that is higher up or lower than the one you are turning off from if that makes sense. Also occasionally I'll hear it when taking a turn from a stop. It seems to be less pronounced when the car warms up. I can also feel it in the gas pedal and the steering when it does occur.

Anyway, I talked to the guy I have do my oil changes, and he works on race cars, and does body work and engine building as a side job. I thought it might have been ball joints or something, but he's telling me he suspects that the engine and tranny mounts are causing the noise.

My question is, I know that these can be problematic on these cars, but I'm wondering what you all think of his idea. Also where can I get replacement mounts? I've looked and I can't find any definitive answer.

Any direction or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kyle.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it were front and/or rear tranny mounts. My front is shot and it makes some funky clunking when I put it in gear or switch to reverse.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 8:26 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it were front and/or rear tranny mounts. My front is shot and it makes some funky clunking when I put it in gear or switch to reverse.
I had the same problem on my '99, and getting lots of vibrations, and ended up replacing both the front and rear mounts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:24 pm

Kyle,
Try www.monsterpartsonline.com
They are only available new from GM and are not cheap.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm

RockAuto.com sells an insert for the tranny mount.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Albert, never heard of an insert for the mounts.
Do you have a link.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:53 pm

Kyle,
The OEM GM P/N's are:
For 95-98
Front Trans = #22201114
Rear Trans = 22201115

There are two other mounts but are not normally a problem with the miles you have.
I have replaced both of the above at about 85K miles. They were junk.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 am

my front control arm vertical bushing makes the same noise and is totally shot i found out today..
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am

Aren't you one of the lucky ones with the replaceable bushings.?
How many miles on your car?
And how come it wasn't noticeable when you were changing springs, etc. ???
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

Rickw wrote:
Kyle,
Try www.monsterpartsonline.com
They are only available new from GM and are not cheap.

Jeezus, you guys aren't kidding... $500 worth of mounts to hold this thing in?!?

Is that 4th one on the driver's side a Series 1 only? I can't find it in this manual.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 am

I didn't know about this site or optional sources for parts when I needed trans mounts and paid GM Dealer Retail.
Can you say..Bend Over.

There are 4 mounts total.
We talk about front and rear when the manual calls them left and right.
Because the engine is transverse.
I have a parts sheet showing all of them.
I can list the P/n's of the other two if you wish.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 1:04 am

No thanks, the Monster chart for the factory diagram describes them rationally: Passenger engine mount; Front, rear, and driver transaxle mounts.
I've just never noticed the driver's side mount before, I thought we only had front, rear and passenger side. oops
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning   Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning Empty

Back to top Go down

Crunching/Clunking/Roaring noise on takeoff and turning
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next