Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys

Go down 
+65
charlieRobinson
Z-type
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
stan
J. Chris Davis
llamalor2112
96_Juggernaut
Yardley
al_roethlisberger
9001psi
joshuadalegrimes
highwaywarrior
atvinstructor1
98RiviSC
gmann3001
ghost88
turtleman
Jamax
denim
dboydakid
dtrumbo
BKRIV
LARRY70GS
Jayrydingslab
54_nailhead
24198tom
Abaddon
playa
billythekid7
Eldo
71gsx455-4spd
GMFreak8
T Riley
DEMonte1997
wyomork
robotennis61
BMD
Mikel
L67
RivGuy
TonySmooth89
sburch23
Mr.Riviera
Rickw
andrzejsze
1wickedninja
Sweepspear
97rivsc
manofmany
albertj
SuperRiv07
curious riv
robertwolf86
deekster_caddy
98riv
dreww
2toneRivi
ibmoses
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
Jack the R
AA
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:11 am

No issues with my Gatorbacks after a year.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:15 am

1998 Riv wrote:
No issues with my Gatorbacks after a year.

I wasn't meaning to imply that there's anything wrong with gatorbacks, they are made from high quality rubber. It's just the little belt nubbies can have a negative effect when you get into tiny pullies and you are nearing the loose side of your tensioner, where the Gates belts with solid ribs and high quality rubber will grip just that little bit extra. In stock and near-stock installations the Gatorbacks should be fine.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:16 am

Mikel wrote:
Thank you guys. I just did my belts - The engineer who designed that motor mount should be hung from a certain part of his anatomy confused

You got that right. I noticed on an '04 LeSabre I just worked on, the front motor mount is completely changed to a bottom-mount style, and the belts are free.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:57 pm

What motor was in that LeSabre Derek?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 2:14 pm

3800 of course! I advise all my near family members to buy 3800 powered cars...
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Slightly offtopic, but how much modifying would one need to do if one wanted to put in a 3800 with the bottom style motor mount in a Riv?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 3:40 pm

what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 4:39 pm

I was just curious if someone needed a new motor and would prefer to put one in that is less difficult to replace the belts, how much modifying would it take to put in a 3800 motor with a bottom style motor mount in a Rivieras' engine bay.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 10:02 pm

beats me? i did not know that u had to remove the mount to replace the belt on a series 2? not so on a series 1
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 10:10 pm

BMD wrote:
I was just curious if someone needed a new motor and would prefer to put one in that is less difficult to replace the belts, how much modifying would it take to put in a 3800 motor with a bottom style motor mount in a Rivieras' engine bay.

Probably more than its worth doing since you only have to change the belts every 100,000 miles or so if theyre properly aligned.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 7:23 am

There are pic's on here somewhere where James removed the upper mount completely and fabbed up a lower mount for the whippled engine.
I tried to find that write up but couldn't.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 2:40 pm

L67 wrote:
BMD wrote:

Probably more than its worth doing since you only have to change the belts every 100,000 miles or so if theyre properly aligned.

agree , but if you were gonna throw a new motor in there anyway, why not install one where the belts are free of the mount. Thanks for looking for that write up Rick, it would be interesting to see what was done.

On a secondary point. Do all the pulleys loosen clockwise or are some different?

Last edited by BMD on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 2:43 pm

On the series ii the tensioner pulley uses a left-handed threaded bolt. Not sure how the series 1 does it.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:22 pm

If I am not mistaken, isn't there a fourth pulley that uses a right-handed threaded bolt?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:23 pm

BMD wrote:
If I am not mistaken, isn't there a fourth pulley that uses a right-handed threaded bolt?

I believe its the lower idler pulley by the crank.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:28 pm

It depends if your talking series1 or 2 engines, i believe.
There is a diagram on here for all the pulleys on a series2 and the rotation of the mounting bolts.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:32 pm

Series II. Sorry for the questions, just read Jacks great shocked write up. It contains all the answers one might be looking for. Thanks guys.

Last edited by BMD on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:45 pm

I followed that write up to do my pulleys and belts.
Excellent help but be careful, the illustration regarding the A/C and some other pulley are incorrect. Otherwise it served me well and I got the job done in about 2.5 hours taking my time.
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Rickw wrote:
I followed that write up to do my pulleys and belts.
Excellent help but be careful, the illustration regarding the A/C and some other pulley are incorrect. Otherwise it served me well and I got the job done in about 2.5 hours taking my time.

That's about as long as it took me. Having to lift the engine, remove motor mount, motor mount bracket and power steering pump... To replace a serpentine belt is asinine.

I was doing some work on my friend's 98 Riviera and I told him "hey, since we are here, why don't you run to the store and buy new belts? It will take two minutes to replace them!" How wrong I was rolleyes
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 am

I would like to know, when replacing the easy pulleys, do you have to have special puller to get the pulley off the shaft? Thanks for info about left handed threads. Mine is a 96 and has a regular 15mm bolt.
RivGuy MOcarGuy@aol.com
Thanks
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:29 am

no. it slides off..the pulley takes a through bolt ...
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 4:40 pm

I had to replace my water pump, so wihile I was there I replaced the pulley behind the motor mount bracket.
I found NAPA part #NBH 38007, (made by Gates) to be identical to what I assume was the pulley GM installed Sept. '95 when my car was built.

I found the motor mount suprisingly easy to remove and replace.

But that lower clamp on the lower radiator hose which I also replaced is another matter though. twisted
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 4:45 pm

That lower clamp is easily removed with the proper clamp removal tool.
Unfortunately most people don't have that tool unless you make your living doing these repairs.
I bought one several years ago out of frustration and it has saved my arse several times.
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Rickw wrote:
That lower clamp is easily removed with the proper clamp removal tool.
Unfortunately most people don't have that tool unless you make your living doing these repairs.
I bought one several years ago out of frustration and it has saved my arse several times.

I'm sure that would have made it much easier. I actually checked Harbor Frieght in fact to see if I could pick up a cheap pair.

What made worse was the tangs you squeeze were on the bottom side so, I had to go at it blindly. censor
I thought I was going to end up pulling the radiator at one point. bonk

It looked like for ease of assembly, GM placed a short section of hose on the radiator before it was placed into the car, then it was mated up with the hose from the block once the radiator was installed. 4 clamps total for 1 hose.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:02 pm

hmm, pair of pliers was ... umm ... difficult? but it worked. What's the clamp removal tool look like Rick? I'm interested.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys   Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Replacing Belts and Pulleys
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next