Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)

Go down 
+3
albertj
98inSFl
99RivieraLB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

Name : kenneth
Merit : 1

car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) Empty
PostSubject: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 9:13 pm

I have a 99 supercharged and have been having trouble with it staying running. I will be driving and it will just die. It can take several minutes to start back up.The service light is not coming on, but the security light comes on after it starts. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Fuel pressure is fine, and is there a rebuild kit for the supercharger?
Back to top Go down
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:06 pm

I really need help, have baby on the way and need car to be sound when he gets here.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

Name : Ed
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:00 pm

It is not your supercharger, have you run codes yet?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:00 pm

99RivieraLB wrote:
I have a 99 supercharged and have been having trouble with it staying running. I will be driving and it will just die. It can take several minutes to start back up.The service light is not coming on, but the security light comes on after it starts. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

do you have any aftermarket car alarm or immobilizer?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:07 pm

There's less than 1h between your 3 (total) posts. At least give people the chance to read your messages.

Why are you asking about a rebuild kit for the supercharger ? Is this an unrelated issue ? Does it sound like you have rocks tumbling around in there ? This is a common, easily fixable issue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:30 pm

yes it sounds like something is tumbling around in it.no aftermarket parts or immobilizers, all stock.going friday to put in on a machine
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 11:59 pm

you need a code reader to find current and stored codes.

you may have a failed crank sensor, which won't set a code.

you may have a failing ignition switch, which won't set a code either.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 12:38 am

you are dealing with unrelated multiple failures. Your supercharger coupler has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Good news : it's cheap and easy to fix if you have minor mechanical skill. There is a write-up, complete with photos, on how to change it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:04 am

were would i find the write up
Back to top Go down
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 am

would a bad coupler make the car die when driving
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:28 am

No , for the time being ignore the supercharger, your car will run without it if it were to completely fail.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 am

99RivieraLB wrote:
... but the security light comes on after it starts. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't this point to the key or ignition contacts?

You'll also want use the Search for any other possible info, like:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/security-system-lamp-light-issues-t6057.htm
Back to top Go down
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 6:22 am

i can pull the key out of the ignition when its running,but i been able to do that since i bought it and it just started doing this a month ago and is getting worse.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 am

I am sure it is NOT a security fault, GM (and all other autos) factory security systems will prevent STARTING , not cause STALLING, if cars were stalling with security faults there would be massive lawsuits for highway crashes and such.

The ignition lock cyl is worn on your car, again ignore that it aint your current problem.

It could be the electrical portion of the ign switch but its not on top of the suspect list yet, go scan your computer for codes.

It could be a bad crankshaft position sensor as albertj points out
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 am

I had a random stalling issue 2 years ago. Sometimes it would start right up again, other times it took 10 minutes, ended up being the ignition switch.....although I had no security light. Pull the codes, if any....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 am

Let's "take this from the top" and summarize the recommendations so far:

1) either buy a scanner and pull the codes, or take your car to a dealer (and pay the diagnostic charge usually an hour's labor) to scan the car's computer for "stored codes" and determine if the problem is related to any of those codes. The things that set the codes have to then be repaired. Point is, we know you have a starting and running problem, you told us already and gave useful details. We know your supercharger is making noise. No, the supercharger will not cause the starting problem.

2) If there are no stored codes that pertain to this prolbem, then the problem would likely be one of 3 areas:

a - bad ignition switch. The part where the key goes and the electrical part are separate. You need the key part (called the lock) repaired at some point. I suspect both the electrical and key part of your mechanism are bad. Replace them or have them replaced. At a GM dealer it will be pricey because the labor, although not difficult, ties up a technician for a while and as well the parts new from GM are mad expensive. In every GM car I've owned I've had to replace the electrical part of the ignition switch somewhere between 75 and 150 thousand miles. Could be as much as $500 including parts, DIY for much, much less especially if you can get used parts - contact Ed Morad, http://moradpartscompany.com, he specializes in used parts for these and similar cars and a number of list members shop with him.

b - if your car has more than 70 thousand miles it may also be the case that your crank position sensor is going bad. They fail "bad warm" - you can start the car but after the engine compartment gets good and warm the car can stall. Apparently what happens is a connection molded insode the sensor lets go when it's heat soaked, and reconnects itself when the sensor cools. The sensor is about $50, labor to get it in about $100 but you can do it yourself with a $35 tool from Lisle, just google "Lisle gm 3800 harmonic balancer tool" and you probably will find it.

c - there may be a wiring problem, check the large bundle of wires at the big, big connector on the firewall. Several have found the black wire in top left corner of the bundle to be broken. Also check the ground under the powertrain control module (it is under the coil packs) and the wiring at the module for damage. The repair is just to pick the contact out of the connector and splice the wire, reinsert the connector or install/crimp new one and insert that.

At this point I seriusly doubt you'll get more useful info by posting more of your observations - time for you to roll up your sleeves and do some work.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 am

99RivieraLB wrote:
were would i find the write up
car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) Writeups

Quote :
I will be driving and it will just die. It can take several minutes to start back up.
When you attempt to start it, does the starter turn over, or does nothing happen when you turn the key?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 pm

thank you all for all the help, I pulled up the codes and it only gave me the throttle position sensor #p0122. i know that is not the problem. i am going to go through all the steps that albertj sent and i will be back to let you know the outcome again thank you all for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 2:57 pm

99RivieraLB wrote:
thank you all for all the help, I pulled up the codes and it only gave me the throttle position sensor #p0122. i know that is not the problem. i am going to go through all the steps that albertj sent and i will be back to let you know the outcome again thank you all for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

you are welcome, best of luck, hope you fix it right and quick.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:13 pm

turns out it was the wiring harness to the coil pack acquired a crack and is not holding proper. THANKS again for all the help everyone and if i have any more problems i will be sure to come here for advice first.
Back to top Go down
99RivieraLB
Rookie
99RivieraLB

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 6:18 pm

seems to be running better, thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)   car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring) Empty

Back to top Go down

car trouble - Stalling (coil pack wiring)
Page 1 of 1