Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC)

Go down 
+33
dreww
L67
95rivy
playa
moldymac
Straighteight
BMD
Rickw
TheNewEra95
lionfish
Mr.Riviera
BKRIV
riviera301240
Lucas
deekster_caddy
jamie
BillBoost37
96RivSCMI
albertj
blown95riv
zombiesarebad
rivcop
SC95Riv
daveeif
heyzelchi
Blowin95
SilveR
NO 4 EVR
AA
gosloriv
95_River
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC)   Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC) - Page 6 EmptySun May 15, 2011 4:50 pm

How's the trans fluid level? Anything leaking underneath? Your symptoms aren't good, but it might be something as simple as low fluid level.

Smell anything burning? Slipping creates a lot of heat, so you should smell it if that's really the problem. Remove the dipstick and inspect the fluid. Is it burnt?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

Name : curt
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC)   Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC) - Page 6 EmptySun May 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Aaron i didnt smell anything burning when it was slipping. I just went out and checked the level and it was at the low hatch marks. I put the fluid on my fingers and it had a little black to it. it didnt smell burnt like others that i smelled. fluid was still red on the dipstick but when i rubbed my fingers through it thats when i noticed the black residue. Bad bands im guessing. After the car sat for about two hours it moved pretty good back and forth, i diddnt take it out on the road or anything but it moved with no slipping.
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

PostSubject: what tranny will fit   Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC) - Page 6 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi guys well my transmission finally gave out and having trouble finding a used one. So my question is will the n/a tranny work with the s/c motor? i can find a used n/a transmission. I thought the 95's shared the same transmission with the n/a and the s/c. I know there both 4T60E, but are the insides the same? I thought i heard that the s/c tranny is build heavier than the n/a, but it might of been for the 4T65E HD model for 97-99. need a little help please. dunno
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC)   Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC) - Page 6 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm

95rivy wrote:
Hi guys well my transmission finally gave out and having trouble finding a used one. So my question is will the n/a tranny work with the s/c motor? i can find a used n/a transmission. I thought the 95's shared the same transmission with the n/a and the s/c. I know there both 4T60E, but are the insides the same? I thought i heard that the s/c tranny is build heavier than the n/a, but it might of been for the 4T65E HD model for 97-99. need a little help please. dunno

You either need the heavier transmission or to have the lighter transmission rebuilt into being the heavier one (yes this can be done with transgo and sonnax parts). Notably among other things you need the output shaft with the blued (hardened) splines. Someone who actually tears down and rebuilds these things will know *exactly* what this means. If you ahve a clean workbench and can pull the transmission you can do it yourself, the HD bands, fibers and steels are all available.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
95rivy
Enthusiast
95rivy

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC)   Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC) - Page 6 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Well to give everyone an update, I finally got the riv back with a used transmission. runs great. After driving with a good transmission i now know how bad the old one was.
For all you 95sc guys, it would 'nt be a bad idea if you find a used transmission get it to have on hand. I called about 10 junkyards and know one had any. All good now, thinking ill change out the fluid again in a couple of weeks. Anything else i should to this as far as PM?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC)   Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission Trouble, Slipping?? (Series I SC)
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6