Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports

Go down 
+114
96_Juggernaut
IFallsRon
bmcd9179
MrWood88
charlieRobinson
darulerrick
Jamax
cbames
themanwithsauce
setsuna57
97buickriviera
lo619
ghpcnm
95 rivieramn
bigdave
adam14212
J. Chris Davis
Derek
RidzRiv
flyineagle96
Riv95SC
brian10962001
DecoyGSX
jenkkijussi
Abaddon
Buapo
Eldo
ZEP
Tank
florence_x
Hometown Hero
eumilea
Rickw
curious riv
GMFreak8
ibmoses
Roberta
BMD
woggy
robotennis61
Anoswal
rivboy
rivparadise
dscott2000
hotrod58
#1BearsFan
Sweepspear
duster_do_little
vendetta
SuperRiv07
Shintsu
manofmany
patillac
captshiner
TonySmooth89
jamie
54_nailhead
sburch23
blackbart95
ewolfe0050
IBx1
BKRIV
deekster_caddy
SLPR 6.0L
palermocorey90
etosino2009
96RIVMANN
Designated
SC95Riv
coop
dadeboy305
Miss Beth
turtleman
Ridin-Rivi
albertj
duffy
dreww
CMan
okiedrifter
jonly
oldsman105
96riv
ender467
Jason
SpaceBar
urbsnspices
SilverArrow102
NO 4 EVR
gosloriv
dan
¤DoughBoy¤
HirohataMerc
robertwolf86
CeeKay
Jake95Riv
SoCal Riv
xxsupergman25xx
Orca
99Rivman
Blowin95
1998 Riv
Andysdorm
lionfish
Brad95Riv
T Riley
nothincame2mind
racinfan
jax95riv
98riv
pwmin
Mr.Riviera
AA
118 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

How many Miles On Your Riviera?
<25,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap1%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 1% [ 3 ]
25,000-50,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap3%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 9 ]
50,000-75,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap8%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 27 ]
75,000-100,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap13%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 44 ]
100,000-125,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap19%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 19% [ 66 ]
125,000-150,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap22%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 75 ]
150,000-175,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap13%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 44 ]
175,000-200,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap11%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 38 ]
200,000-225,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap6%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 20 ]
225,000-250,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap2%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 8 ]
250,000-275,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap2%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 10 ]
275,000-300,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap0%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 1 ]
>300,000
FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_lcap1%FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Vote_rcap
 1% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 347

AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 1:22 am

AA wrote:
The rocker moldings are screwed in from the bottom. They come off pretty easy, I think it takes a small Torx bit (had to replace mine once because I lifted the car with jack in the wrong place).

Thanks Aaron!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 12:07 pm

I have only tried to remove the pieces that are attached to the doors, and they are attached with plastic fasteners - clips- that broke on me.
Same thing when Timo was doing his paint job, I had to get him a bunch for his doors as almost all his broke while taking off the panels on the doors.
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Eldo,

My Firestone guys are pretty good. The only thing I tire of is the endless recommendations, which is their job. I had the brake fluid flushed and replaced, at their recommendation, last fall - this spring, I took it in for all my free services, and my brake fluid failed their little acid paper test. scratch

HOWEVER. They are EXCELLENT at spotting things that actually need to be done. They noticed that my old airshocks weren't holding air anymore, my valve cover gaskets were leaking, my oil pan gasket was seeping, and the lower intake manifold gasket was starting to go. They charge a LOT for this type of work, so I usually do it myself, take it to my mechanic, or in the case of the LIM, take it to Morad's team. The guys over at Morad's are the coolest gang you'll ever meet, and they do nothing but top-notch work... I feel priveleged to live just 30 minutes from their shop.

As for the oil filter, the PF52 is the oil filte recommended to me. They installed the Super Tech version for now, because the store was out of the PF52. He said the Super Tech is still better than the Fram, which I've ALSO been using for a long time. dunce I always sprung for the "Tough Guard" version, but I'm glad that I now "see the light." He also poured the entire 5 quart container in there as well.

As a callback to my p-log/ported rear manifold installation, I finally got to give them a true test last night... but now in the way that I planned. I gave the car several days of average stop 'n' go and highway traffic, to hopefully allow the computer to "learn" a little bit.

Then, last night while coming home from work at 11pm, I had to merge onto a freeway near my house. There's quite a bit of construction, so everything is messed up. The three lanes were dropped down to only two, and the on-ramp merges with the right lane. There was a gentleman in the right lane, and he had no intention of slowing down to let me in - in fact, I'm not even sure he knew I was there. There were TWO cars following closely behind him, so I couldn't just slow down, plus my merging gap was closing VERY FAST. So, I hit it.... and made the gap. I was going 80 mph by the time I was in the clear.

So what would have happened if I was driving a slow car? I'd probably have to furiously honk the horn, and yeah... there could have been an accident. This isn't the first time I've been in this situation, but let's just say I'm glad to have the extra power. I could definately feel the lack of backpressure, I had to give it more throttle to get a similar response... but that is to be expected. And when I looked down and saw 80 mph, it scared me a little. This is a 50 mph zone - can you say double-fine work zone ticket? Heh.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Quarter-Million miler   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 pm

My 99 hit 250,000 miles this week! It has been a very good car. I do not race it. I will admit to embarrasing a Mustang that is trying to get ahead of me from time to time. Most of the miles are highway miles. I used to drive on the interstate at the speed limit plus 10 (or 15 if I was in a convoy). After a few tickets, I installed an excellent stereo and just cruise at the limit plus a couple and listen. It was worth an extra 2 mpg. The only performance mod is a K&N. The stereo is the only other upgrade from stock. It was a multi-year, multi-stage project. To duplicate what I have now from stock would cost about $2500.

I have put 3 sets of tires and brakes on it, a set of shocks, engine pulleys/belts, coupler, fuel pump as well as changing the oil every 6,000 miles. I have done the 100,000 mile tune up twice.

I am amused at those who worry about mileage and not condition. Any manufacturer can produce a lemon but our cars are clearly well engineered. However, if they are maintained, they will hold up. I do not plan on selling it anytime soon. I was thinking that the cost of rebuilding the engine, tranny and body/paint would be $12,000 or so. Where could I get a new car with the looks and performance for twice or three times that amount?

Also, only about 1800 were made after this one and only a couple have more miles which means it has probably averaged more miles per year than any other.

FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 IMG00259

FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 RivatGreekPeak
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Awesome. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 11:11 pm

just rolled past 261k today!!!
smooth as ever!!!! (well, almost)
Back to top Go down
jenkkijussi
Amateur

Name : Johannes
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:28 am

Today 150K
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 3:35 pm

^^^ Miles or km?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:53 am

263,000 Miles
Back to top Go down
DecoyGSX
Rookie

Name : Dan

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:12 pm

230k now, however the front is screaming (also popping and clicking) for attention. rolleyes
Back to top Go down
jenkkijussi
Amateur

Name : Johannes

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:18 pm

To AA 150K miles
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Impressive!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
brian10962001

Name : Brian Tucker

PostSubject: People say 95 Riviera's are finicky cars, let me tell you...   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 pm

My dad and I both own 1995 white Riviera's (both supercharged). And these cars do have their issues. Mine has a constant SES light, and his is intermittant. Mine has the random "traction control" light, but the ABS always works. I had to unplug the sensor on my brake master cylinder to keep it from throwing the "brake" light constantly and dinging at me. But overall they get us around, and man do they look good. I had thought "these cars are picky as could be, what a hassle" but that all changed.

My g/f drove a 1996 Nissan Altima into oblivion! I'm serious the car had a broken speedometer (used a GPS) and the gauge read 128k when we bought it... the title read 128k when the previous owner had purchased it, and she drove it for 6 YEARS. The car had to have had 350,000 miles on it (her work makes her travel and we used to live 50 miles from her school). Finally the 5 speed gave out in it, it went out somewhat gracefully, with a very loud bang, in the driveway one morning frown I will NEVER forget how well that car served us.

We went car auctioning at the same place we got her Altima and ran across a 2001 Chevy malibu. It had the dreaded 3.1 engine in it, but I thought "hey an intake gasket isn't all that big of a deal if it goes out" well it did, within 200 miles. We also got new tiers for it, and guess what, the control arm bushing was blown out, as was one of the tie rod boots. Despite all this, we got the intake gasket done, and guess what, the car overheats again the next day. I check the cooling fans, everything seems ok, but for some reason they only come on when they want, and only on low. The blower motor only worked on setting 5 as well which was very strange to me. The transmission drops out of lockup whenever you hit a bump in the road. The cruise kicks on and off at will, and the problem with the fans turns out not to be a relay like I was thinking, but a freaking issue with the ECM OR BCM being retarded in these cars!!!!!!! This is the worst car ever put on the road!!!!!!! I can't believe how big of a piece of crap this thing is. I finally have it all straightened out and running right, but she doesn't trust it now and neither do I. I can't WAIT to sell this thing, she's driving my 95 Riv right now and I'm driving my wrecked Blazer which is also a 95... and white smile I really can't wait to sell this car. If you want to know more about their problems just look them up on Google, you'll be shocked, at least I know I was!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 4:06 pm

brian10962001 wrote:
My dad and I both own 1995 white Riviera's (both supercharged). And these cars do have their issues. Mine has a constant SES light, and his is intermittant. Mine has the random "traction control" light, but the ABS always works. I had to unplug the sensor on my brake master cylinder to keep it from throwing the "brake" light constantly and dinging at me. But overall they get us around, and man do they look good. I had thought "these cars are picky as could be, what a hassle" but that all changed.

My g/f drove a 1996 Nissan Altima into oblivion! I'm serious the car had a broken speedometer (used a GPS) and the gauge read 128k when we bought it... the title read 128k when the previous owner had purchased it, and she drove it for 6 YEARS. The car had to have had 350,000 miles on it (her work makes her travel and we used to live 50 miles from her school). Finally the 5 speed gave out in it, it went out somewhat gracefully, with a very loud bang, in the driveway one morning frown I will NEVER forget how well that car served us.

We went car auctioning at the same place we got her Altima and ran across a 2001 Chevy malibu. It had the dreaded 3.1 engine in it, but I thought "hey an intake gasket isn't all that big of a deal if it goes out" well it did, within 200 miles. We also got new tiers for it, and guess what, the control arm bushing was blown out, as was one of the tie rod boots. Despite all this, we got the intake gasket done, and guess what, the car overheats again the next day. I check the cooling fans, everything seems ok, but for some reason they only come on when they want, and only on low. The blower motor only worked on setting 5 as well which was very strange to me. The transmission drops out of lockup whenever you hit a bump in the road. The cruise kicks on and off at will, and the problem with the fans turns out not to be a relay like I was thinking, but a freaking issue with the ECM OR BCM being retarded in these cars!!!!!!! This is the worst car ever put on the road!!!!!!! I can't believe how big of a piece of crap this thing is. I finally have it all straightened out and running right, but she doesn't trust it now and neither do I. I can't WAIT to sell this thing, she's driving my 95 Riv right now and I'm driving my wrecked Blazer which is also a 95... and white smile I really can't wait to sell this car. If you want to know more about their problems just look them up on Google, you'll be shocked, at least I know I was!

interesting story....

what code is behind the SES light on yoru Riv? Maybe it's minor...
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 4:22 pm

The Malibu's problem is most likely the blower motor resistor. Thought I had a problem with the same component in my car, but a bad resistor would allow the fan to only run on the highest(full voltage, bypasses resistor anyway) setting.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 5:15 pm

I believe the Malibu is practically identical to the Grand Am. We purchased a 2001 with a 3.4 (basically a 3.1) and it's been the worst car we've ever owned. It's doing okay now after new head gaskets and heads but it's still got issues. A water leak at each door that goes into the floorboard. The worst, when it rains the interior lights come on and won't go out.
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am

Hmmm...I've got a white '95 SC as well, and I'd call it moderately finicky. As you've discovered, there are way worse out there (and also better), but it's the looks that grab you and keep you fixing on it.

Back to top Go down
brian10962001

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 am

I already fixed the blower motor in the Malibu, the guy that owned it before us had replaced the resistor with the new credit card style, and he had bent and cracked it! I have no clue how he did this because it's so easy to install it's sad (I did it with a loose bag of sockets and a flat screwdriver in about 30 mins).

I'm getting the codes ran on my Buick this weekend, if I have to guess I'm going to say o2 sensor, EGR, or the CPS. Every now and again it will slightly miss going down the highway. It's very rare and not recurring enough for me to start pulling parts before a good scan. It will probably be that or the ignition module (I think they call it ICM in these). A friend of mine works at a garage and they have a VERY nice real time scanner ") I also think my balancer is starting to go out because it does the weird shutter when low speed turning, and now and then the idle seems a bit rough.

The Malibu is VERY similar to the Grand Am, but at first you wouldn't know that, they change just enough to fool you. My friend had a 2000 Grand Am and got rid of it within a year. He also experienced the same problems I was (losing coolant, random transmission no lockup etc). Also the gas mileage that we were experiencing was close to 21mpg!!!! With a sequential fuel injected motor, in a light little chassis, how can they be this bad!!!! I really think GM planned obsolescence into these cars. They have way to many "mystery problems" that usually turn out to be an ECM flash, or a proper gasket away from being fixed.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 am

brian10962001 wrote:
I already fixed the blower motor in the Malibu, the guy that owned it before us had replaced the resistor with the new credit card style, and he had bent and cracked it! I have no clue how he did this because it's so easy to install it's sad (I did it with a loose bag of sockets and a flat screwdriver in about 30 mins).

I'm getting the codes ran on my Buick this weekend, if I have to guess I'm going to say o2 sensor, EGR, or the CPS. Every now and again it will slightly miss going down the highway. It's very rare and not recurring enough for me to start pulling parts before a good scan. It will probably be that or the ignition module (I think they call it ICM in these). A friend of mine works at a garage and they have a VERY nice real time scanner ") I also think my balancer is starting to go out because it does the weird shutter when low speed turning, and now and then the idle seems a bit rough.

The Malibu is VERY similar to the Grand Am, but at first you wouldn't know that, they change just enough to fool you. My friend had a 2000 Grand Am and got rid of it within a year. He also experienced the same problems I was (losing coolant, random transmission no lockup etc). Also the gas mileage that we were experiencing was close to 21mpg!!!! With a sequential fuel injected motor, in a light little chassis, how can they be this bad!!!! I really think GM planned obsolescence into these cars. They have way to many "mystery problems" that usually turn out to be an ECM flash, or a proper gasket away from being fixed.

About that stutter, take a look at your motor mounts. If they ahve not been replaced you're overdue. THere is another thread about mounts, you can get an insert for the rear trans mount and the other mounts I understand are now available on the aftermarket, except the front engine mount - which you can replace by buying a park avenue mount, bending out the metal tabs and swapping its good insert for the wack one in the Riv. so I think you can replace 'em all for under $200.

The 3800 engine, even with a balance shaft and harmonic balancer, isn't all that smooth. If your mounts are worn at all you'll feel it in the darndest ways and places.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
brian10962001

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:36 am

albertj wrote:
brian10962001 wrote:

About that stutter, take a look at your motor mounts. If they ahve not been replaced you're overdue. THere is another thread about mounts, you can get an insert for the rear trans mount and the other mounts I understand are now available on the aftermarket, except the front engine mount - which you can replace by buying a park avenue mount, bending out the metal tabs and swapping its good insert for the wack one in the Riv. so I think you can replace 'em all for under $200.

The 3800 engine, even with a balance shaft and harmonic balancer, isn't all that smooth. If your mounts are worn at all you'll feel it in the darndest ways and places.

Albertj

Advice appreciated ") I will check those out.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Sorry to hear of your luck with the '95s. My '98 Riv is a lot more like your Nissan experience - the only real problem I've ever had was the transmission, but that was 70k miles ago and now still going strong. Even then I was able to drive it in to the shop for repair. I'm amazed at some of the things on this car that still work, things that usually break on other cars. HVAC - still works, heated seat - still works, rear defrost - still works. I'm still on the original water pump at 219k miles. Even the paint is holding up fairly well. I drive a lot of miles as well, about 75 mi/day average. I think driving cars frequently over a long period of time helps them to last.

Speaking of 'finicky', a coworker's '03 Saturn Ion broke down in our lot yesterday. Alternator failed and battery died. We got 3 guys together to go and push him into a space, but ran into a problem: without enough volts, the electronic steering doesn't work, and electronically controlled shifter wouldn't slide into neutral. So couldn't push it! Solution was to start up the Riv and park nose-to-nose (a few feet apart), attach jumper cables, and together we moved both cars with the cables attached. I drove in reverse, he followed. We are calling it "walking the dog", lol.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 3:29 am

Quote :
We are calling it "walking the dog", lol.

Now you should have got that one on tape for You Tube!
Back to top Go down
brian10962001

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Put all codes pulled over in the Series 1 tech section for anyone who's interested smile
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:06 pm

brian10962001 wrote:
I had to unplug the sensor on my brake master cylinder to keep it from throwing the "brake" light constantly and dinging at me.
Ya know, it's probably worth sucking the old fluid out of the master, refilling it with fresh, and then stirring it around to try to break low-fluid sensor loose. Hell, even driving around with the new fluid only 1/2 to 2/3 full would probably provide a lot of swishing around... If you've never done it, it would also be a good time to flush out all your brake lines - just buy a bigger bottle.

AA wrote:
Speaking of 'finicky', a coworker's '03 Saturn Ion broke down in our lot yesterday. Alternator failed and battery died. We got 3 guys together to go and push him into a space, but ran into a problem: without enough volts... the electronically controlled shifter wouldn't slide into neutral.
Yet another vote against replacing simple cables with overwrought electronics, like the drive-by-wire throttles! shout
Back to top Go down
florence_x
Enthusiast
florence_x

Name : Florence
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 pm

My master cylinder is shot (leaking brake fluid), but otherwise I don't really have any huge problems with my '95 Riv. Since I'm not exactly rollin' in dough right now, I tend to just keep a few bottles of brake fluid handy so I can top it off when the brake light starts to go off.

Other than that, (3) smaller, slightly-more-annoying problems: need a new thermostat, coolant sensor is shot (light is always on, level is always fine), and my passenger side window's motor might be crapping out.

When the car's title was transferred to me, she needed new brakes/tires/etc., but my dad hadn't been driving it. Otherwise, she runs like a dream and regardless of the problems I'll have this car forever.

'95 love!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports   FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: High Mile Club - Wear/Repair Reports
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next