Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)

Go down 
+18
bigdave
Johnny5
al_roethlisberger
simba510
T Riley
albertj
turtleman
nigelf
RidzRiv
charlieRobinson
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
AA
Jack the R
Abaddon
robotennis61
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:14 am

Well the response to this mod wasn't so great that it would net a substantial discount @ PSI performance. But I went ahead and bought the kit(sorry Sqrivi Bumper) anyway.Bo gave me $15 off and threw in a set of adjustable coilover spring nuts with top hat.Great guy.
all I need to do is cut to length and weld in the bottom plug and knuckle tabs and I've got a fully adjustable coilover front suspension for my Riv,the first as far as I know.
also need a pair of cartridge inserts.either Bilstein or koni.I cant afford top of the line stuff just a simple non adjustable insert for now.But still hundred times better than whats available for her.
I'll send to Bilstein my Bilstein 5100 series rear shocks to have a channel machined into the shock body for a circlip.converting the rears into coilovers. I can then drop or raise the Riv and inch or two. how cool is this!?

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 HPIM1108

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 HPIM1107

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Beautiful parts. I'm sure the Riv will be much better without the roly-poly front end.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 5:54 pm

u sed it buddy.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Yeah, its gonna be sweet! For those of us who are getting it. rock

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:30 pm

absolutely! I need to save a few $ for the springs and cartridge insert and the package is ready for install.I'll be spending a little more than I thought for the insert.I wanted to only spend enough to get the car on the road by getting a non adjustable insert.I'll invest just a few $ more and at least get one that has adjustable rebound. both rebound and compression will have to wait another day.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Robo, do you have any pictures of your installation?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Nope. not yet.Money has been an issue of late.cartrige inserts are pricey and I wont settle for a non adjustable cartrige.Adjustable or nothing.Its a simple mod.Most important part is the first and only measured cut.You only get one chance. Duplicate the OEM measurment and then deduct 2inches.that will give you the ride height yer looking for.Simple. when Im able to finish i'll posta complete set of pics. smile

Last edited by robotennis61 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Custom Coilovers.   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Got my Custom Coilover kit all ready to git welded up and installed.just need to buy the front caliper bolts and install.word to anyone with a series 1-who is considering swaping out the Heavy cast Iron knuckle with the series 2-alu knuckle,piece-o-cake. The alu knuckle strut holes,where the strut mounts to the knuckle,are spaced a little further apart.So if you retain your oem or KYB's you will have to fill and re-drill the mounting holes on the strut.
For the record,all the steering rod ends and the ball joint dimensions are the same on the series 2 -as on the series 1.You can take the series 2 alu knuckle and just bolt it right up to the series 1.Of course you will be obliged to swap in the twin piston calipers or the cast iron series 2 calipers
This package along with the Firebird twin piston calipers and alu knuckle,drop the front end weight by allmost 50 lbs.When I install the series 2 -alu control arms I'll drop that a few more lbs!
All I need to do is install them.

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 HPIM1564

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 HPIM1563-2

Last edited by robotennis61 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:41 pm

This is amazing. Go, Robo. shocked
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 am

Good stuff. (+) Question: is there much clearance between the inside of the spring and the adjustment threads on the strut? In the pic looks like there could be contact issues.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 11:00 am

Robo, what brand of shocks are you putting the coil over? Would these work with KYB AGX ? Will you link us to where you got those pretty springs? Do you tighten and loosen the blue nut to adjust the ride height?

Last edited by charlieRobinson on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am

Merged to the group-buy struts thread. I assume the coils are available from the same distributor?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm

No clearance issues.The coils are Eibach ERS springs.The shocks are Konis,8610-1437 RACE. adjustable for rebound only.The pillow ball mounts are made by Noltec.
On page one of this thread you can find the dist. info + pricing.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:16 am

I dont know if this can be considered a "Group Buy" any longer. How about "Custom Coil over kit for Riviera,95 to 98" the group buy thing didnt take off at all. kits are still available tho...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 am

Sounds good. Just make an edit to your first post stating that the group buy is over. You should be able to change the topic title, too. Thx.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 1:20 am

Just to sum up a few points that might interest others thinkin about doin this mod or getting rid of any of the Cast Iron Pig bits up front.

The 95 knuckle and the alu knuckle of the 97 and up are identical in every respect except two. The bolt holes on the knuckle that accept the strut bolts on the series 2 are spaced further apart. Simple matter of welding closed the top hole of the strut,and re drilling the bolt hole a little higher up.And the knuckle tab that accepts the strut, sits about an inch higher than the 95.so if you adapt the 97 knuckle your ride will be sitting higher.You can eliminate the stock strut tabs and weld on a lower mounting tab.doable but a PIA.might as well get you some custom coilovers.

The alu control arms of the 97 and up match the geometry of the series 1.Weld on the vertical tabs to the 95 to accomodate the 97 and up alu control arms and you wont have to change the allignment settings at all. Maybe just a little tie rod adjustment. The ball joint is the same.same angle, same width,same height.Only difference is that the 97 and up ball joint specified for the series 2 have longer bolts,or,longer rivets.If you mod your 95 for the 97 alu control arms and want to use your good ball joints from the 95,you will need longer bolts.

the outer tie rod locations are the same.Only difference is that the 97 knuckle sits about a 1/4 higher at the tie rod mounting point.
the hubs are the same.I did not remove my 95 hub to see if it will fit in the 97 alu knuckle.I wont bother.Morad sold me a set of alu knuckles for not a whole lot with good hubs.done.I cant speak for the ABS wiring but in every other respect the set up is the same.Bolts rite in.

If doing all of the above swap,ya gonna have to say bye bye to the iron 95 calipers.wont fit.at all. Either you step up to the iron 97 calipers or go the 98 Firebird alu twin piston calipers( F-Body brake mod write up)

Final points of interest( or lack of) Doing this custom coil over mod is a major pain in the ass! so many little points will catch you up and have you beggin for mommys milk. longer ball joint bolts.weld tab spacing issues,and a few other bits that pissed me off in the "Duh ,why didnt i think of that first"dept. Not to mention doing this in your garage with hand tools and no cut off saw.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:24 am

So lets say that "someone" was also doing this, for best results they would need:
-97+ knuckles
-97+ control arms
-97+ ball joints (assuming "someone" was putting a good amount of new things into this.)
-F-body brake mod "stuff"
-RoboSuspension front coil-over sets

??

Did you get any pics of the process? or was it more of a "get it done" thing?

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Alu 97+ knuckles -check

Alu 97+ control arms-check

97 ball joints-check ( 95 ball joint bolts are fatter than the 97 +)

F-body brake mod stuff really makes it all shine but not mandatory.

My super dooper my fully adjustable coil overs are so much better than everybody elses kit? why not.

I will take pics tonight of the right side process.

Yesterday was definitely a " Get it done thing"

Fucked up thing is,I had no beer .Everything is just better with beer.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Alu 97+ knuckles -check

Alu 97+ control arms-check

97 ball joints-check ( 95 ball joint bolts are fatter than the 97 +)

F-body brake mod stuff really makes it all shine but not mandatory.

My super dooper my fully adjustable coil overs are so much better than everybody elses kit? why not.

I will take pics tonight of the right side process.

Yesterday was definitely a " Get it done thing"

Fucked up thing is,I had no beer .Everything is just better with beer.

Ball joints must be the same for 96+ because mine fit into the 97+ knuckles just fine.
Robo, how did you get the 97+ LCA to work? they have 2 horizontal bushings where the 95/96 have a vertical front bushing and the horizontal rear bushing. Subframe swap?

Last edited by Mr.Riviera on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm

?? I got the idea from ducstu.he has a super write up. as far as the different types of LCAs between the years..I dont know? all I know is the 95 has the forward vertical bushing(SHIT) and all the other years have the horizontal bushing (NOT SHIT) so I just went by ducstus write up.

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7582-write-up-1997-front-control-arm-conversion-to-98-99-style

According to Rockauto,the 97 Riv also has the horizontal( Standard ) style,or some of them do.

also,the banjo bolts on the twin piston calipers are metric 10 x 1.5.I dont know what the thread pitch of the 95 is.dont care.all I know is I now need 1, 10 x 1.5 banjo bolt to complete the project.

Last edited by robotennis61 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 10:16 am

Hey robo, which strut mounts are you using? 95 ones or 97+ ones? Like the whole strut top and bearing sets?

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 10:37 am

None of the above.I am using a pillow ball mount.its the flat gold colored steel plate atop the coil over assembly in the pic I posted.
strut mounts!? we dont need no stinkin strut mounts! pimp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:23 am

ah ok, that answers that. So that sucker just bolts right in? Sweet. that saves me a bit.

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am

A pillow ball mount(I dont know why its called a pillow ball) is a strut mount.its just a no nonsense zero deflection spherical bearing mount.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:47 pm

So are they generally more expensive than the "normal" GM round tracked bearing for a strut top mount? Or just newer design? last longer? Better for performance? Different method?

Just getting my head around GM rationale for what they used vs. the pillow ball mount.

PostSubject: Re: Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)   Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Adjustable Front Coilovers for All Years (fabrication required)
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next