Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Other transmission in a 95

Go down 
+2
robotennis61
RidzRiv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

Other transmission in a 95 Empty
PostSubject: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Is it possible to put a 4t60e hd or any other transmission from newer riviera's into a 95 riviera?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 8:26 pm

nope
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Its one area GM loves to ream the 95s without lube
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am

Damn
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:57 pm

You could take the 4t60e from a 96 riv and drop it in. It should be HD. Actually, the 95 year was so screwed up, some of the '95 s DO have the HD, but you would never know it till a rebuild. (same with the engine, some have the lighter series 2 cranks)

Special

Name : dave
Merit : 0

PostSubject: transmission compatibility   Other transmission in a 95 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 3:15 pm

trying to learn what transmissions will fit a buick riviera 95 i have noticed it calls for a 4t60 e but is it different for a supercharged engine and if i was getting a used tranny what other cars have the same and bolt patterns line up any help with this would be greatly appriciated
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 12:46 pm

bullydave wrote:
trying to learn what transmissions will fit a buick riviera 95 i have noticed it calls for a 4t60 e but is it different for a supercharged engine and if i was getting a used tranny what other cars have the same and bolt patterns line up any help with this would be greatly appriciated

Short answer - see Karma's response above.

Longer answer - for you to avoid doubt, the easiest thing to do is ask a wrecking yard that has access to the Hollander exchange catalog, it will tell which transmissions are direct-bolt-in swaps. Most likely it will tell you that the same-year BOP transmissions will swap in. Beyond that, there are others where the housings will line up but the electronics will not work. Search this site to find where people were working on putting the 4T80 into a Riv for instance.
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks Karma! Thats really weird that some 95s have some of the later parts. Do you know if it was the late 95 models or something like that? Maybe they started manufacturing the new parts and discontinued the older ones when they knew they were done with the series 1.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 pm

RidzRiv wrote:
Thanks Karma! Thats really weird that some 95s have some of the later parts. Do you know if it was the late 95 models or something like that? Maybe they started manufacturing the new parts and discontinued the older ones when they knew they were done with the series 1.

if you look at TSBs of the time you'll see that GM had bulletins out for overhaul or replace, i forget which exactly, on the Riv's early 4t60 transmissions. IIRC the SC engines started snapping the final output shafts over time for some reason.

So if you find an SC '95 now the tranny you find in it depends on whether the original owner or a subsequent owner had to replace or overhaul it.

While we are on the subject I wonder if critical guts parts from the 4t80 would fit and work in a 4t60 or 65? Comments? New thread??

Albertj
Back to top Go down
bullydave
Special

Name : dave
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 3:59 pm

thanks alot karma u helped me figure it out i guess there is no inerchangeable transmissions for the 95 riviera i guess now i either buy a used or get it rebuilt either way its gonna cost me more then what i paid for the car i hope this car dosnt turn into a big headache
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:54 pm

When it's finished the car will be worth more than the cost of your transmission rebuild, at least to you. Drive it for a few years and enjoy it, and get your money's worth out of the transmission job. It's a nice car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Other transmission in a 95   Other transmission in a 95 Empty

Back to top Go down

Other transmission in a 95
Page 1 of 1