Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Too many miles

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TAC
Special

Name : Thomas
Merit : 0

Too many miles Empty
PostSubject: Too many miles   Too many miles EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:14 pm

This is my first post, usually i'm reading through for advice. My 97 riv has 255,000+ miles with original engine and transmission. I absolutely love this car but am worried about it finally going out. I would like to replace both the engine and tans with an updated gm model. Such as a Grand Prix or G8. My car has a supercharger so the step up to a gen 5 would be nice. My question is what year and model of vehicle would be best to swap out the engine and trans into my riv.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Too many miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many miles   Too many miles EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Ideally you want the motor from an '04 or '05 GTP, those L32 engines had the GenV blower. You will need a throttle body adapter and your throttle body, or an N* throttle body because the '04 '05 had drive by wire. I would have your trans rebuilt by someone who knows these and select some quality parts from ZZP Performance or Intense Racing to supply the rebuilder with. The transmissions behind the '04 '05 GTPs are different enough that it's not worth the switching effort.

In all reality, the only difference between the L32 and L67 engines is the supercharger/LIM and cam design. It may be cheaper to rebuild your engine and pick up a Gen V blower, and install a good cam like S1X or XP cam.

Read through the 3800/Grand Prix parts sections of zzperformance.com and intense-racing.com

A lot of the performance parts can be bought in good used condition from clubgp.com's classifieds.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

Too many miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many miles   Too many miles EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:44 pm

L26/L32 engines have powdered rods too.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Too many miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many miles   Too many miles EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 pm

What you really want to do is a compression and a leakdown test to determine if you really have a need. The Riv's 3800 engine has a VERY strong bottom end, if I remember right the design was well in excess of the car's power output. It should cost less than $150 to have a local mechanic do the testing if you do not want to/can not yourself. Search this site for "leakdown" to find the posts describing the tools and how-to for the leakdown test.

As for the transmission check the fluid and work from there. If it's not pink/cherry red it's time to change it, have it changed to Dexron VI is my suggestion.

If your car was well cared for to this point odds are you need neither a transmission nor an engine. Testing will tell you if there is a need then you can act accordingly.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Too many miles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many miles   Too many miles Empty

Back to top Go down

Too many miles
Page 1 of 1