Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Making custom gauge back-facing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Making custom gauge back-facing Empty
PostSubject: Making custom gauge back-facing   Making custom gauge back-facing EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Was searching randomly for some things. Found this:
http://www.revlimiter.net/mods/gauges.php

Thought I'd pass it on. I might try it someday.

Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Making custom gauge back-facing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making custom gauge back-facing   Making custom gauge back-facing EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 3:12 pm

I tried this method years ago (for a center console-mounted A/F calibrator). The graphics turned out well, and I was working on the back lighting when I bought the DHP tuner and abandoned the AFC project. Tip: Instead of using laser copier prints on transparencies, you can have professional art films made from a print house. This costs about $20 for a sheet, but I used to have access to one of these devices at work. The art films are 100% opaque and don't need to backed with the mask like it shows at the link. Also it said you need to print out a few copies on the laser copier, to account for mistakes. The art films cost more, but they are always perfect, so you only need to do them once if you're careful. Also, finger prints will wipe off art film, unlike the laser copies. For color areas, I used color filters, which are thin pieces of plastic sheet. For a frosted look you can back the gauge with a scuffed piece of thin acrylic using fine sand paper.

The toughest part is hitting the registration and designing gauges that look better than factory. Using Illustrator is the best way if you have access to the software. If anyone needs this kind of work done, I have access to the tools and can help you out.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

Making custom gauge back-facing
Page 1 of 1