Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation

Go down 
+40
Johnny5
69GSColorado
al_roethlisberger
highwaywarrior
charlieRobinson
RidzRiv
Natesriv
pbrktrt
J. Chris Davis
flyineagle96
brutusk1
Jamax
97 park ave
ghpcnm
Ash
albertj
Abaddon
robotennis61
TonySmooth89
sdconcepts
Mr.Riviera
DEMonte1997
EatDirtFartDust
turtleman
napalmpt
Rickw
Buapo
deekster_caddy
Face
ewolfe0050
jax95riv
Jack the R
oldsman105
racinfan
1998 Riv
98riv
Jason
AA
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Energy Suspension Front (1 1/4") bushings and bracket assy P/N is 9.5165 Greasable and 9.5172 non-greaseable.
Summit's corresponding number for the greaseable one is ENS-9-5165. Only 15.95 pair.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
will the STS brackets work on the riv or do i need to get different ones?

Yes they fit. You can also use your current brackets with the sts bushings if they are in better shape. The sts bar and bushings are 30 mm. Aftermarket bushings will require a mounting plate because the bottom is shaped differently (aftermarket is flat, OEM has a convex bottom) and will inevitably squeak.

The bar will fit. Installing the front bar isn't a very fun job though...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 7:43 am

The GM part numbers for stock sway bars are the same for 95 and 96,
but different numbers for 97-99.
It will be interesting to see how the STS bar matches up to your 96.
Brackets are the same for all years, 95-99
Bushings are different...... 95-96 same, 97-98 same and 99 has it's own P/N.

The Rear Bar, Bushings, Brackets and End Links are the same P/N 's for all years.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:22 am

then i'll be sure to take pics and measurements when i do mine. i measured the rear sway bar and it's about 17.2mm diamiter. (C=2πr still right?)

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am

You don't need to measure Circumference, just Diameter for comparison.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:03 am

Quote :
Brackets are the same for all years, 95-99
The front brackets and bushings changed in design since the cars were manufactured. You can't buy the original design anymore to my knowledge, as they've been replaced by a larger bushing and larger bracket. This doesn't effect the installation of the Addco bar unless you are trying to use a fresh OEM rubber bushing (you can do this) instead of the supplied poly. Since the new bushings are larger, you must also buy new brackets if going this route.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:10 am

Rickw wrote:
You don't need to measure Circumference, just Diameter for comparison.
yea, but i dont have a micrometer to accurately measure diameter. i'm using fishing line wrapped around the bar lol i figure 30lb test doesnt stretch too much.

got the bar in the mail today. missing one of the brackets, but has both oem rubber bushings. they are in good shape too. i'll probably just reuse them.
in the process of painting it red to match the other red things on my car (brakes, STB, poly links, etc).

i might get antsy and install it sometime this week. hope i dont understeer too bad lol

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Front or rear? I have some extra front brackets and poly bushings.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 9:28 pm

i bought the front bar, but i'll have the rear one soon (if i can find one).

are they greasable bushings?

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Front or rear? I have some extra front brackets and poly bushings.
Do you have the spacer plates that I've read about on this thread or did you just make some from flat stock or are they even necessary?
That was three questions in one.!!!

Mr.Riviera wrote:
i bought the front bar, but i'll have the rear one soon (if i can find one).

are they greasable bushings?

Matt, where are you finding these bars? I was looking a while back and kept coming up empty.
I looked at Carpart.com for nationwide junk yard search and EBay for a few weeks and found nothing.
I was promised a rear STS bar a short time ago but that fell through so I ordered a rear Addco from Summit for about $150.00 and 4 week back order, just received it. Came with no brackets, just OEM bushings, not Poly.

Last edited by Rickw on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 10:12 pm

i got lucky with the sts front bar on ebay.
gmpartsdirect lists the front for $98, but i dont know if they still stock it.

so you have the rear bar and i have the front bar...rock paper scissors? lol

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 8:53 pm

Hang on, are you guys talking about the addco sway bar, or the caddy strut tower brace?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:23 pm

I was talking about the Sway Bars.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Rickw wrote:

For the front sway bars I have extra poly bushings (not greasable) and the brackets. The brackets come with a flat spacer that holds the bushing up, so the bushing doesn't fall down into that hole where the OEM bushing sits. It's a regular D shaped poly bushing.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Rickw wrote:

For the front sway bars I have extra poly bushings (not greasable) and the brackets. The brackets come with a flat spacer that holds the bushing up, so the bushing doesn't fall down into that hole where the OEM bushing sits. It's a regular D shaped poly bushing.
Derek,
A while back you gave me a box with front brackets and bushings for an Addco bar, did not include the flat spacers though. That's why I was asking if you just made them or what.
I know when ordering the new Addco bars for the front they will NOT come with the brackets anymore. You guys had to fight with Addco and NEA to get what you needed at the time of the GB.

Last edited by Rickw on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:52 pm

i was talking about the caddy seville sway bar.
it's a 30mm bar for the front, not as good as the addco bars, but much more affordable.
if your bushings are for the addco bars then i dont think i can use them b/c the addco bars are 32mm IIRC.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 am

Rickw wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:
Rickw wrote:

Derek,
A while back you gave me a box with front brackets and bushings for an Addco bar, did not include the flat spacers though. That's why I was asking if you just made them or what.
I know when ordering the new Addco bars for the front they will NOT come with the brackets anymore. You guys had to fight with Addco and NEA to get what you needed at the time of the GB.

hmmm. I'll take a look in the garage. I thought they all had the flat spacers. The thing is useless without them. But in all reality, it's just a simple thin piece of flat stock with holes (slots) for the bolts to go through. Not rocket science.

It's really too bad Addco was doing the right thing, then they stopped.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Woot! just finished installing my caddy STS front sway bar.
Spent some time trying to finesse the bar out, took a long think break, and some more wiggle time to get the old bar out. I did end up lowering the sub frame. I dont have headers, just the zzp 3" DP and there wasnt enough room to get it out.

Defiantly a beefier bar, and i'll take it for a test run in the morning.

sorry Rick, but it fits the 96's like a glove. i'll keep an eye out for another one for you. now if i could only find a rear bar...

I painted it red to match the other stuff on the car that is red (calipers, end links, other stuff i cant think of).

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 P7020010

Hope i dont understeer into a guard rail now lol
Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 P7020011

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:25 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you. Definitely let us know how it feels after driving it for a while.
Did your stock brackets work with the larger bushing or did you get larger brackets with it?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 pm

i used the stock brackets and the larger bushings that came with the bar. the rubber was in good shape still and i dont need any more suspension squeak from poly.
oh, and now that i'm not selling it i'll let you guys know what i paid for it...$29 SHIPPED!

i couldnt wait till morning, and just went on a quick trip around the block. Seems to corner easier, at about 3mph higher than before, and it seemed to lessen the jarring of little bumps. (last one could have been my imagination)
i'll give another update after driving on it for awhile through some hard turns.
i'd say it is compareable with the improvement of the STB. i'd like to see how much the rear helps too.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:41 pm

The rear will be more noticeable as it helps with the inherent understeer these cars have. Will carve the corner better.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:58 pm

after driving on the front bar for a few days, i really like the improvement. The car handles like it is lighter, even in parking lots. There is slightly more understeer due to having the stock rear bar still, but it's nothing too bad. (after all, the car understeers from the factory)

The nose of the car is completely flat in a corner, even under hard turns the car sits very flat.

what site had the addco rear bars??

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:33 pm

I recently replaced my Addco front poly bushings with the Energy Suspension 9.5165 greasable bushings ($21). I like the way these feel, and much easier to lube. Easy swap, too. Thanks to Eric and Jason for the tip.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Did the Energy bushing assembly come with the flat steel spacer plate?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Good question. No, they did not come with the plates. You must keep the spacer from the Addco kit, or make your own. They will work together fine. If anyone needs dimensions, I can provide them.

Note: the grease nipple points at part of the chassis, so you need a 90º or flexible hose on your grease gun.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation   Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Front/Rear (Addco) Stabilizer/Sway Bar Installation
Page 8 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next