Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp

Go down 
+8
LARRY70GS
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
al_roethlisberger
bigdave
albertj
robotennis61
sniperdude
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

Name : Mike
Merit : 18

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp Empty
PostSubject: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:21 am

Hey all, I finished my front brakes yesterday and went out for the first ride in six months since I've spent time fixing it up.

It has a new starter, plug wires (acdelco), plugs (acdelco), new air filter, PCV, idle air control valve, throttle body was cleaned as well.

It ran a little rough at first, but it got worse as the temp went up. It isn't terribly noticeable while accelerating, it starts bucking and the idle is super rough.I changed my idle valve so I'm not sure why this is happening.

It has a full tank of 93 gas.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 am

It ran like that six months ago, and I thought the tune up would have alleviated the issues.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:38 am

I keep thinking that its the injectors.I changed out the injector filters and o-rings.made a huge difference in idle quality.I could not afford to have them sent out for sonic cleaning but I bet that would solve My rough idle issues ,maybe yours too
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 am

That makes sense.My exhaust smells like chit too.

I'm not sure if there are cats on this car, I have to check.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:42 am

cats get clogged over time.Mine were.If you dont have smog in Illy,take 'em out.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Here's hoping you're right, Robo.I took it in to Firestone, they're putting it on their injector cleaning machine.

Hopefully one day I can send the injectors in to get cleaned sonically.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 3:14 pm

sniperdude wrote:
Here's hoping you're right, Robo.I took it in to Firestone, they're putting it on their injector cleaning machine.

Hopefully one day I can send the injectors in to get cleaned sonically.

Hope that works.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Yeah, they used a kit by QMI.

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp QMIEK10T_PopBox-1

It didn't work out too well. The idle was slightly better afterwards, but it still has a really bad idle. Felt like a waste of money. Seriously out of ideas on this damn car.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 6:59 pm

sniperdude wrote:
Yeah, they used a kit by QMI.

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp QMIEK10T_PopBox-1

It didn't work out too well. The idle was slightly better afterwards, but it still has a really bad idle. Felt like a waste of money. Seriously out of ideas on this damn car.

Well, alright then, I guess it is time for grease-under-the-nails troubleshooting.

When you replaced the IAC did you remove the Throttle body and clean it? You will need a TB gasket (make some phone calls, in my area most parts places don't stock them but the one that does only stocks ggo felpros and keeps 6 or more on hand).

So. Let's start there. Did you remove and clean the throttle body?
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Yup. IACV, cleaned throttle body, new gasket.
New Fuel filter, pcv, spark plugs, wires, vacuum lines, air filter.
Basically everything that could be related.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I would still try and find a set of injectors from a junk yard and have them sent out for super cleaning and blueprinting.Or buy a refurbished set from Rockauto.It's an expense for sure but if you calculate the cost of running around and the hassle of diagnostics a new set of injectors dont sound so bad.Having a spare set is allways a good idea.The modern fuel injectors do clog up pretty bad and no amount of bottled cleanser or on the car cleaning will make them good again. I've been putting off buying an extra set to focus on other systems,but I think now that I've got my rad and suspension mostly squared away a set of injectors might be worth another think.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Does anybody have instructions on removing the fuel rail?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Theyre pretty easy to remove. Looking at the injector you can see a shiny wire clip

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp HPIM1758_zpsf9198e28

push that wire clip in towards the injector.Once the clip is completely compressed pull and tug on the electrical connector gently,remove from injector.Repeat for all injectors.

Nect turn you attention to the Vac tree atop the S/C.loosen the 10mm bolt and remove after disconecting all Vac lines.There is a wire harness that runs to the EGR valve,disconect that by prying open the plastic clip that holds it to the fuel rail.Just push the electrical harness out the way.

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp HPIM1759_zps55b7d4ee

Now concentrate on removing all the 10mm bolts that hold the rail to the S/C body.

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp HPIM1760_zpsfa079ff8

Gently pull and tug on the rail,it it will pop off.On reassembly you must replace all the injector orings.Go to the VatoZone and buy a set.On reassembly coat the injector o-rings with petroleum jelly to facilitate instal and prevent tearing of the o-ring.

The injectors just get pulled out.

And that is how you do it.Piece o cake.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Go back and check your work. Make sure all vacuum lines are secure. elec connections are plugged in, clean and tight. Is your CEL on or off? , Are you able to scan?

Don't keep throwing parts at it. Checking codes or monitoring a datastream on a scan tool may give you a better idea of what is causing the problem. May be something as simple as a faulty coolant temp sensor.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 8:05 pm

you'll need to pull, clean and reinstall the plugs, too. Look for differences between plugs - not the condition of each plug.

..next question, whose (new) wires did you install? Delco? Belden? Autolite?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 8:29 pm

...The point is, the odds of 18 year old injectors being fouled beyond conventional means of cleansing is high. Kinda like having a spare tire.Allways good to have a spare.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:52 pm

There's a thread here about using "Mr Injector" service that I believe was about $15-20 an injector which seemed like a reasonable deal. I'm thinking about that myself.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

I have an appointment at a Buick dealer on Saturday morning to get it checked out professionally and scanned with the Tech 1 and all that nice stuff.

Hopefully I can find out what I'm dealing with.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Good luck to you. I hope they find it for you and fairly inexpensively!
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 6:47 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
Theyre pretty easy to remove. Looking at the injector you can see a shiny wire clip

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp HPIM1758_zpsf9198e28

push that wire clip in towards the injector.Once the clip is completely compressed pull and tug on the electrical connector gently,remove from injector.Repeat for all injectors.

Nect turn you attention to the Vac tree atop the S/C.loosen the 10mm bolt and remove after disconecting all Vac lines.There is a wire harness that runs to the EGR valve,disconect that by prying open the plastic clip that holds it to the fuel rail.Just push the electrical harness out the way.

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp HPIM1759_zps55b7d4ee

Now concentrate on removing all the 10mm bolts that hold the rail to the S/C body.

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp HPIM1760_zpsfa079ff8

Gently pull and tug on the rail,it it will pop off.On reassembly you must replace all the injector orings.Go to the VatoZone and buy a set.On reassembly coat the injector o-rings with petroleum jelly to facilitate instal and prevent tearing of the o-ring.

The injectors just get pulled out.

And that is how you do it.Piece o cake.

Thanks for this, Robo. If it ends up being injectors I'll follow this info.

I'm wondering what will come up tomorrow with their inspection. I am guessing my TCC solenoid is bad because the shaking at 45MPH sounds exactly like that issue.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 7:00 pm

..It's gonna be good to find out! I have similar issues but I put up with them maybe more than I should.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 am

For 126 bucks, I really hope they find the issues.

Also I asked them to diagnose that gear shift indicator issue with them all being lit up simultaneously and blinking.

Will share whatever info I get. smile
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 10:31 am

sniperdude wrote:

Also I asked them to diagnose that gear shift indicator issue with them all being lit up simultaneously and blinking.

Will share whatever info I get. smile

That sounds like it could be a PCM problem.

Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 pm

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp Img20130330102639

Last edited by sniperdude on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:30 pm

wow man, they saw you coming lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp   car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp Empty

Back to top Go down

car runs rough when it gets up to operating temp
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next