Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil

Go down 
+37
joshuadalegrimes
96_Juggernaut
IFallsRon
charlieRobinson
manofmany
scrhodes4942
carlos
flyineagle96
Abaddon
GMFreak8
24198tom
fieromanie
DEMonte1997
Eldo
robotennis61
Rickw
L67
98inSFl
albertj
Ironclad-454
95RiviSC
Ash
98RiviSC
curious riv
AA
vendetta
deekster_caddy
1wickedninja
akasirro
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
99Rivman
SpaceBar
¤DoughBoy¤
1998 Riv
Fuzzy
mayfair4life187
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Redneck supercharger oil pump   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Found this image researching other things. I'd guess it would take a long time to pump all the oil with the sprayer head.

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 Charger_zps76d49abf
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Whatever works! I use a hand siphon pump that cost about the same as whatever was in the spray bottle + the water. Some have luck with a turkey baster.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 pm

I just flipped the eaton over and dumped it all out. Oh wait, it wasn't on the car when I did it lol 
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm

I used a big syringe with a tube attached. Worked perfectly. A few pulls and she was empty!
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 5:56 pm

jugg is that your engine? look at the fuel rails
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I used my Mityvac kit "MV8000 Automotive Tune-up and Brake Bleeding Kit" to extract the SC oil. Easy job.

Also, as much as you will be tempted to, don't drink that old SC oil. lecture  grimace 

joshuadalegrimes wrote:
jugg is that your engine? look at the fuel rails
I don't think it is. Look at the front/upper mount. Most likely in a Grand Prix.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Changed out my SC oil today. Not before a trip to the store to get a screw extractor as I had striped out the star-bitted plug. Pretty sure the replacement oil was twice as much or more than I took out. Any clues where I can order a replacement plug?
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 pm

ZZP sells them. I had the same issue when I changed the coupler.
http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/389-EATON-Snout-Fill-Plug.aspx
Back to top Go down
1967 - 1997 Riviera
Special

Name : MAG
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Just for the record, and if you want to be exact, the total oil capacity for the M90 Eaton supercharger is 225 ml. Use a graduated cylinder to meaure it exactly, after evacuating all the STINKY oil out of a cold supercharger reservoir, before you carefully pour it in.

This 225 ml capacity information is off of the Eaton website for the Series II 3800 supercharged engine.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Or, filling to the bottom thread of the fill hole will accomplish the same thing. Anyone who doesn't get all the old oil out, may not want to just dump in 225 ml.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 pm

The factory service manual is silent on CHANGING the oil as part of the maintenance scheduling. It DOES say on pages 0-39 and 0-40 (Volumn 1 of 3) (Short Trip/City Maintenance Schedule): "For supercharged engines on: Check the supercharger oil level and add oil as needed (or every 36 months, whichever occurs first). Refer to recommended fluids and lubricants.

Mind you, this applies to Series 2 motors and I'm running it in a 1998 Riveria
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm

The level is way more important than changing it. Are you questioning whether to change it or not? Not clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 pm

No. I'm doing the lower intake manifold (LIM) gaskets and have pulled off the supercharger and I thought...hey, with the thing off, and the car approaching 200,000 miles, and I've no idea if the former owners changed the oil or even checked the oil, might as well change it while it's sitting on a bench. I've had to turn the unit upside down to scrape off the old gasket, and nothing leaked out (and me having no experience with a supercharger), again, I thought, why not. There's a body of believers that hold that nothing is "lifetime", especially with automatic transmissions, but 200,000 miles on a car that is 21 years old, I figure, "what do I have to lose". Plenty of Riveria's in the junkyard. So I got 2-4oz bottles of fluid on order from Amazon and I'll see what gives. Replacing the LIM plus the coolant hoses will be enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 2:06 am

EyeDoc1 wrote:
Plenty of Riveria's in the junkyard.

From what I'm hearing it's a swift trip from the yard to the crusher for a Riviera.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Hey EyeDoc1,
I drained my supercharger on my 98 with much less miles than you have and filled it with 2 of the 4oz GM bottles of fluid. IIRC.

When you drain that fluid, do it outside otherwise your shop/garage will stank worse than a skunk for a couple of months.

Good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 4:24 pm

We are fortunate indeed in the Pacific Northwest to have "Pick 'n Pulls" where from a fixed price list you can bring your own tools and scavenge to your hearts content.  Riveria's usually last 2-3 months for people to strip, and I've been rewarded sometimes with parts from a 98-99 Park Avenue, especially motor parts.  The supercharger oil smell was NOT that bad, as I was expecting much worse.  The use of a 2 ounce medical irrigator or syringe and a 5" or so clear piece of plastic piping made removal of the old oil a piece of cake.  I wish regular oil changes were as easy, as I swear mechanical engineers never talk to mechanics.  Makes me appreciate the cartridge filters on '90's era BMW's a thing to behold.  About the only oil change I could do without getting a drop of the stuff on my hands or the concrete.  My other gripe is those plastic covers that are nothing but heat sinks that have totally dried out hoses under the hood, making routing vacuum hoses all that more difficult to maintain, especially the "T" connectors, and especially the one right under the supercharger snout...which is different from the "T" mounted by the fuel regulator over the spark plug (call it #1, front, radiator side of the V-6).  I can see why they used rigid plastic piping instead of flexible hoses.  But enough griping.  1/4" and 3/8" rubber hoses solved my problem, including sliding a piece of 1/4" hose into a piece of 3/8" hose (use CRC silicone spray...$2.97 at Walmart for a big can as a lubricant) that connect to the throttle body.  That's my "tip of the week" for disintegrating vacuum hoses on a '98 Riv.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 9:12 am

Hey Doc, I'm in Salem and I'd be curious to know where you can still find Rivieras in Pick 'n Pulls!
Mark
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 12:19 pm

It's actually quite easy.  Pick 'n Pull in Portland (PNP) is owned by Schnitzer Steel, a big corporate metals company that does a lot of scrap work.  If you go to picknpull.com, you'll see the large number of yards that are in the PNP network.  Whether Schnitzer Steel owns them all is irrelevant, but I just did a quick search and there's a '97 and a '99 in Sacramento, one that was deposited there on 10/4/19.  You can put in your criterion is you want.  Usually they post a picture and I can't recall if they give you a VIN number.  That being said, what you want to do it go to www.row52.com.  This is a different site that has 122 affiliated junkyard tied to it (and here they post VIN numbers, if that's important).  On this site, you can list cars you need parts for and sign up for text messages (and they usually come in at 0400, waking you up from a sound sleep).  So I have a list of cars I own or the family owns, such as the Riv, Ford Escape, BMW 3 and BMW 5 series etc.  You get the picture.  Then when a car is place in the yard,  you get a text.  I have it just for Riv's without regard to year, so I'll get a text that says a Buick Riveria is in the yard, and I'll have to investigate WHICH yard within my parameters, which is 100 miles.  You can do 25 miles or 500 miles or unlimited.  So when a Riv pops up, I can see a picture, get a VIN number, etc. and make a decision if I want to pack my tools and head on out.  Become a ToolKit member and you get emails telling you of special sales.  This weekend is 40% of anything you pull.  Sometimes with a sale, it'll start on a Friday, but if you're a ToolKit member, you can come on Thursday as sort of an Early Bird Members Only Special.  If you want, say supercharger parts, and the Riv supercharger is on other models, just specify something like Park Avenue or Regals.  Your choice.  Other things about PNP.  If you're a vet, 10% off anytime on anything.  Spend $150, get a coupon in your email for $20 off next visit.  They charge 2 bucks entry fee, and stamp your hand if you're "making the circuit" of Sherwood, OR, Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA like I do.  The Toolkit Rewards thing is free to join and it's a marketing thing.  I honestly think the company makes money three ways.  Hoping you strip off things unsellable (plastic, glass), make their job easier by stripping off and partially disassembling the vehicles for them, and of course selling parts worth more than their scrap value.  Cars usually are there for 2 months or so.  Sometimes pickin's are good, and sometimes it's a waste of time.  But I usually come home with treasure and will be there this weekend eyeballing a 99 Park Avenue for a few things.  Do your research online and they'll tell you what row your car is in, so I have a little 3 X 5 that say "Riv in Row 8 in Sherwood, BMW 3 in Row 33 in Sherwood, BMW 5 in Row 1 Vancouver".  I bring my toolbag, slap down my two bucks and it's off to the races.  I'll be there Friday with my list (but alas, no Riv's available).  Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Yes, that definitely helps...   ride
(That's the one thing that sucks about self-serve yards - how fast the cars get sent to the crusher.)
Thanks Christen!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 8:19 pm

There are a number of pickers who pull parts for $ (usually short $) on Row52, too.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 2:10 am

Thanks Albert, I've never even heard of that one...
dunno
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 9:50 am

Eldo wrote:
Thanks Albert, I've never even heard of that one...
dunno

Poke around on the Row52 site. There is a portal to contact pickers and a sign up sheet to become one if you want to pick up money pulling parts. On balance the pickers listed are a decent lot. It does not take long to distinguish the Schmos from the Joes.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Off topic, but applies to Row52.com notifications   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 am

[quote]There are 1 new vehicles matching your saved search "Chevy Truck C/K 2500" at www.Row52.com[/quote

This came in over the transom this morning at 0752.  It's tailored to my search parameters and by cross referencing this notice to the Pick 'n Pull.com website, I'm able to find which of the three junkyards I watch and the date and row the car is residing on pops up.  Being retired helps so I can shoot on down and see if the pickin's are good.  And I apologize that this is slightly off topic and should be posted elsewhere, but I'll let the gurus do their thing.  One other mention, the Row 52 site is somewhat clunky trying to figure out how to set up and add cars to your watch list, but once successful, it works pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil   Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Changing Supercharger Oil
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6