Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods

Go down 
+15
Mr.Riviera
VJD2
robotennis61
Ash
Rickw
BillBoost37
turtleman
L67
ibmoses
97rivsc
TonySmooth89
T Riley
oldsman105
jax95riv
AA
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 pm

L67 wrote:
Yeah these are hex head and would use a socket for installation. I'm not sure how bright the locktite looks when new but these appear to be faded. This is just frustrating because the seller did not include modded pedestals either, and now I probably have to buy new bolts.
I would buy new bolts just to be on the safe side and where are you going to get just the modded pedestals from - ZZP ?. and if so, how much do they want for them seperately. Just curious.
Sorry the install isn't going smoothly.
Mine didn't go that smooth when I encountered an issue with the modified valve spring retainers that are supposed to be correct for our application.
Couldn't use them with the 105# springs, ended up using the stock retainers.
I am going to look into modifying the modified retainers.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Bolts are expensive at $42/set.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:31 pm

AA wrote:
Bolts are expensive at $42/set.
Is that for the OEM one time use or the reusable ones.?
I got mine in a package deal with the new springs and retainers.
As I mentioned the Intense reusable bolts are nothing more than grade 8 internal hex bolts.
Allen head, can get them from a good hardware supplier.
I think I've actually seen Grade 8 hardware at my local Lowe's building supply store.
Worth a check to see. You'll obviously need to check diameter, length and thread pitch.
I don't know if they are standard or metric.

$42.00/set = $3.50 per bolt
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:37 pm

That's for the INTENSE ones, which I think were included with my purchase. They have done well for 3 installs so far. But if you are trying to piece together your own kit, kinda pricey. Good idea to find them at the hardware store - if you're sure they are the same. Would suck to find out they didn't work, though.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:39 pm

AA wrote:
That's for the INTENSE ones, which I think were included with my purchase. They have done well for 3 installs so far. But if you are trying to piece together your own kit, kinda pricey. Good idea to find them at the hardware store - if you're sure they are the same. Would suck to find out they didn't work, though.

Big time
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 2:12 pm

I picked up some reusable ones from ZZP for 19.99 since shipping was cheaper from ZZP (Bolts were same price from INTENSE). For the pedestals i contacted BillBoost37 about a post he made in Rickw's thread about misfires with the stock pedestals and he offered to machine me some modified ones out of some stock ones he had instead of paying $40 at ZZP for a pair.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Good deal. Sounds like your almost there.
BTW, where did you get the 1.9 rockers from.?
Good luck with the install.
Are you changing the springs out or are you going to run stock springs.?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Rickw wrote:
Good deal. Sounds like your almost there.
BTW, where did you get the 1.9 rockers from.?
Good luck with the install.
Are you changing the springs out or are you going to run stock springs.?

I picked up some used INTENSE rockers from regalsgs.org, and I'm planning on running stock springs.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Well the fronts are done, but not after some carnage. Two valve cover bolts broke at different times today and i had a hell of a time getting them out. I don't know if my torque wrench was messed up or something but 10 lb/ft did them in. It was a very demoralizing day, but tomorrow morning i vow to finish the rears and take the Riv out to Woodward!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 9:38 pm

L67 wrote:
but tomorrow morning i vow to finish the rears and take the Riv out to Woodward!
Sorry to hear about the bolts breaking...But you get to go to Woodward, so excuse me if I don't feel too sorry.!!!!!!!

Forget about the torque wrench if it's messing up. You can feel 10 ft/lbs
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Rickw wrote:
L67 wrote:
but tomorrow morning i vow to finish the rears and take the Riv out to Woodward!
Sorry to hear about the bolts breaking...But you get to go to Woodward, so excuse me if I don't feel too sorry.!!!!!!!

Forget about the torque wrench if it's messing up. You can feel 10 ft/lbs

Yeah I'm ditching it for the rears, especially since if one broke back there i would be fucked bonk
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 pm

L67 wrote:
Well the fronts are done, but not after some carnage. Two valve cover bolts broke at different times today and i had a hell of a time getting them out. I don't know if my torque wrench was messed up or something but 10 lb/ft did them in.
That's because it's supposed to be 10 N*m (or 89 lb*in), not 10 lb*ft. That's 120 lb*in.
Does your torque wrench go that low? I have a lb*in wrench just for little stuff such as that.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 pm

ouch! good question.......
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 12:01 am

Sorry for the misinformation in the write-up. I tightened mine to 10 lb-ft with no issues. I will make the correction so this does not mess anyone else up.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 12:35 am

Ash wrote:
L67 wrote:
Well the fronts are done, but not after some carnage. Two valve cover bolts broke at different times today and i had a hell of a time getting them out. I don't know if my torque wrench was messed up or something but 10 lb/ft did them in.
That's because it's supposed to be 10 N*m (or 89 lb*in), not 10 lb*ft. That's 120 lb*in.
Does your torque wrench go that low? I have a lb*in wrench just for little stuff such as that.

Cheers

Ahh thanks, wish I'd known that before. But I wont hold it against AA, the rest of the write up makes up for that mistake. I'll be fine with 5 bolts til i can find a replacement soon (The guy at the yard didnt want me to take more than one VC bolt today so i have to wait til he forgets scratch). Either way its all worked out.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:19 am

BTW, how did you get the modded pedestals so fast?
In a recent post you said you needed modded supports.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 am

BillBoost37 fabbed em up and sent em to me.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 10:06 am

That was very quick.
Kudos to Bill
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 pm

I finished but i need help! It seems to be ticking pretty good, is this normal? Does it need to run for a bit to smooth out?? Please help!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: HELP   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 2:48 pm

And I tripped a camshaft position sensor DTC, What did i do?? code 0341.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 pm

The ticking should go away in about 30 secs - 1 minute, after everything is lubed up. The DTC is unrelated, unless something is really wrong under the valve covers. Maybe pop them open and check.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Check the connection at the Ignition Control Module. Check the large connector and make sure it is tight and check the small black with white stripe ground wire.
That can trip the P0341 code.
Did you remove the coil packs and ICM for some clearance to the valve cover.?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 5:05 pm

If that is the cause of the light the PCM will turn the MIL OFF during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed. Or you can clear it with a scan tool.
Double check all your ignition wires and make sure they are on in the correct order.
If you put a wire on wrong your causing a mis-fire and the light and code P0341.

The PCM will also command the Traction Control Off until the misfire problem is fixed.

Last edited by Rickw on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 5:41 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:
Hey guys, I came across something this weekend that is good to know information.

ZZP modified 1.9 rockers. The pedistals are modded for the increased travel as well as the rockers. The issue was the front bank had misfires on all three cylinders. Come to find out before my buddy got the rockers someone mistakenly swapped a pedistal with a stocker. The difference is small, but visible to the eye.

If you install modded rockers and have a full bank issue, check the peds.

I know you said Bill modded the pedestals for you, but he wrote this last week also.
I don't think this is your problem though. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 1:15 pm

Bringing this back up from the dead because it is a super helpful and informative post. Since I just bought my Riv I'm been researching on this site like a mad man and this post happen to catch my attention along with the Cam vs Rockers post.

Anyway in a constant search to find better prices on parts I ran across this Ebay auction for some LS6 springs if anyone was in the market.

link

GM Parts direct has the retainers for $2.23 each

This should save some money when doing the rocker mod which I'm seriously considering right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods   Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Rockers, Valve Springs, & Push Rods
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next