Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread

Go down 
+80
96_Juggernaut
h20man
al_roethlisberger
Johnny5
bmcd9179
99Rivman
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
th3fr4nchi5e
bigblue96
2000ws6transam
Setton
stan
llamalor2112
LT1Squirrel
highwaywarrior
Jamax
pwriv97
c0reyl
LARRY70GS
flyineagle96
Pipes
Bowersk
charlieRobinson
69GSColorado
gmann3001
Ron's Rocket Riv
denim
dboydakid
RidzRiv
jlaw
J. Chris Davis
Hometown Hero
hollywood
sealk
VJD2
BrianEsser
Tank
Abaddon
BMD
crlombardi69
IBx1
Snowdog
L67
esquire23
DEMonte1997
Eldo
#1BearsFan
Rickw
robotennis61
Chicken
albertj
1wickedninja
captshiner
Shintsu
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
dreww
urbsnspices
nothincame2mind
BillBoost37
BKRIV
ewolfe0050
envus87
deekster_caddy
TType_Riviera
palermocorey90
oldsman105
Jack the R
97rivman
1998 Riv
turtleman
ender467
T Riley
SoCal Riv
Jason
Mr.Riviera
AA
84 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Merit : 1

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Abaddon wrote:

charlieRobinson wrote:
why is there so much dis on the 3800's exhaust sound? I think it sounds fine stock and can be greatly improved with exhaust mods. See Abaddon's Riv for a great example.

The 3800 II can for sure be made to sound great. No doubt about it.
oops  I still need to post the "new" sound.

Abaddon post it cause 3 8's sound soda cans

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

My 3" exhaust sounds pretty nice with a Thrush Turbo Muff and a Cherry Bomb in place of the Rez.

Just went out to the garage to capture proof of my bad ass exhaust,I'm disappointed,it sounds like a John Deer tractor..

Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 am

So would a muffler with packing like a borla or magnaflow sound better than chambered like flowmaster?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 am

Johnny5 wrote:
Abaddon  post it cause 3 8's sound soda cans
Mine certainly does NOT sound like a soda can!!!! shout 
I'll see if my new phone gets some decent audio today....
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 9:51 am

Abaddon wrote:

Johnny5 wrote:
Abaddon  post it cause 3 8's sound soda cans
Mine certainly does NOT sound like a soda can!!!! shout 
I'll see if my new phone gets some decent audio today....

Cool your seat dude lol .... im just saying if you put magna flow on and hopes of getting a decent sound instead of hitting a corner and sounding like your just married or something lol
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 9:55 am

h20man wrote:
So would a muffler with packing like a borla or magnaflow sound better than chambered like flowmaster?

Just go in and read these guys post you are for sure to make inference from some of these guys but the hookers on the 3.8 didn't sound bad at all kinda like having the factory mufflers with a gurgle sound
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:14 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
My 3" exhaust sounds pretty nice with a Thrush Turbo Muff and a Cherry Bomb in place of the Rez.

Just went out to the garage to capture proof of my bad ass exhaust,I'm disappointed,it sounds like a John Deer tractor..

You and i have basically the same exact exhaust setup! lol Im running a magnaflow glasspack, but same difference.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:

You and i have basically the same exact exhaust setup! lol Im running a magnaflow glasspack, but same difference.
Oh yeah? I have a single 3" exhaust.It sounds Ok standing and driving with some drone but I'm used to it but the recording makes it sound a whole lot different.why is that? who knows.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:27 pm

I get a tid bit of drone at around 1400, but thats why i have a loud radio! lol Im pretty happy with the overall sound though
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:32 pm

without the Rez-delete I can turn up to 15 on the volume and I'm cool.With the Cherry Bomb not even 26 on the volume gets it
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 am

I want a setup that sounds something like a sports car coupe should have like g37 or 350 somewhere along those lines
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 8:56 am

Johnny5 wrote:
I want a setup that sounds something like a sports car coupe should have like g37 or 350 somewhere along those lines
You won't find one. There's no way this 90* V6 is going to sound that way....I would love to have a sound like that. Make it sound "exotic". It just isn't going to happen.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 am

It'd be easier to get these cars to sound a little bit like a gn, id be happy with that
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 am

Abaddon wrote:

Johnny5 wrote:
You won't find one. There's no way this 90* V6 is going to sound that way....I would love to have a sound like that. Make it sound "exotic". It just isn't going to happen.

Way to go killing my hopes of get getting an akrapovic exhaust some real engineering shyt lol
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 11:26 am

Getting honest/accurate feedback can save you a lot of wasted time and money.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Getting honest/accurate feedback can save you a lot of wasted time and money.  
Lol quickly im not doing much I just feel like something with 400 horsepower can be kept quiet or muzzled a lil bit
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 pm

For the zillionth time, there's a number of reatta guys getting the 3800 to sound like a chevelle at idle and a 308 Ferrari on acceleration. It sounds powerful and really good. I'd consider it for my riv if I didn't love the silence of my car. Our 91 reatta was modified this way with camaro exhaust. It's fantastic sounding.
I know, nothin doin til I post some videos. Well, I'll have to do that then!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 4:07 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
For the zillionth time, there's a number of reatta guys getting the 3800 to sound like a chevelle at idle and a 308 Ferrari on acceleration. It sounds powerful and really good. I'd consider it for my riv if I didn't love the silence of my car. Our 91 reatta was modified this way with camaro exhaust. It's fantastic sounding.  
What mufflers are they using? What resonator? What size pipes? It all makes a difference. I have 3" exhaust with headers. I imagine much smaller pipes will have a higher tone to them. I've used 3 different mufflers now, and I like the Hookers I have on here now. However, it STILL sounds like a 3800 lol. It's just a little less raspy than the previous mufflers. Either way, I can't shake the "hollow" sound. I blame it on the 3" piping.

There's zero room on the Riv to fit a Camaro exhaust. If it's the exhaust I think you're talking about, it's a single in, dual out? The muffler sits sideways, and it's about 20-24" long?

I think I'm going to get rid of the Pypes resonators (yes, 2) in the center and try something else.....
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Oh I know, like anything auditory, its all about the measurements and flow. Here's a link to the install page
http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/68-engine-a-drivetrain/exhaust-system/239-camaro-muffler-installation
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Abaddon wrote:

llamalor2112 wrote:
What mufflers are they using? What resonator? What size pipes? It all makes a difference. I have 3" exhaust with headers. I imagine much smaller pipes will have a higher tone to them. I've used 3 different mufflers now, and I like the Hookers I have on here now. However, it STILL sounds like a 3800 lol. It's just a little less raspy than the previous mufflers. Either way, I can't shake the "hollow" sound. I blame it on the 3" piping.

There's zero room on the Riv to fit a Camaro exhaust. If it's the exhaust I think you're talking about, it's a single in, dual out? The muffler sits sideways, and it's about 20-24" long?

I think I'm going to get rid of the Pypes resonators (yes, 2) in the center and try something else.....
Dont ya like the Pypes resonators? they don't do the job? I'm guessing they might be a little quieter than my Cherry Bomb in place of Rez deal,right?
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Abaddon wrote:

llamalor2112 wrote:

wait you have 2 resonators and its still raspy?! Is it a single exit exhaust?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 5:08 pm

h20man wrote:
wait you have 2 resonators and its still raspy?! Is it a single exit exhaust?

Yes, 2.

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 100_1029

It's 3" all the way to the rear where it splits into dual 2-1/2". It's just like the factory setup, just bigger.
<---------------------- Refer to my Avatar on the left. It's dual.

It has a really cool sound at idle. But, true to nature, slam on the gas and mid-RPM's get gurgly. I'm thinking I want to find a single resonator with a shit-ton of packing in it. Probably one that utilizes Fiberglass instead of Basalt. Although, I've heard that Fiberglass packing doesn't last as long....I don't know. I just want a higher pitch to the sound. The Hookers did stop the backfiring lol
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Anyone here have a single exit exhaust? I'd like a setup like that to save money and weight but I don't want to sacrifice sound. I found one on YouTube but it was cammed so that wouldn't be an accurate example since my car is basically stock.... For now
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 12:39 am

I'm getting my twin Magnaflow #11225's installed on Saturday. All other piping will remain stock size for now, cat and resonator included. I'll get a video up that day for comparison.
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 am

h20man wrote:
Anyone here have a single exit exhaust? I'd like a setup like that to save money and weight but I don't want to sacrifice sound. I found one on YouTube but it was cammed so that wouldn't be an accurate example since my car is basically stock.... For now
I don't think having a single muffler setup would change the exhaust note that much. I think the biggest determining factor would be the actual brand of muffler.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread
Page 32 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next