Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread

Go down 
+80
96_Juggernaut
h20man
al_roethlisberger
Johnny5
bmcd9179
99Rivman
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
th3fr4nchi5e
bigblue96
2000ws6transam
Setton
stan
llamalor2112
LT1Squirrel
highwaywarrior
Jamax
pwriv97
c0reyl
LARRY70GS
flyineagle96
Pipes
Bowersk
charlieRobinson
69GSColorado
gmann3001
Ron's Rocket Riv
denim
dboydakid
RidzRiv
jlaw
J. Chris Davis
Hometown Hero
hollywood
sealk
VJD2
BrianEsser
Tank
Abaddon
BMD
crlombardi69
IBx1
Snowdog
L67
esquire23
DEMonte1997
Eldo
#1BearsFan
Rickw
robotennis61
Chicken
albertj
1wickedninja
captshiner
Shintsu
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
dreww
urbsnspices
nothincame2mind
BillBoost37
BKRIV
ewolfe0050
envus87
deekster_caddy
TType_Riviera
palermocorey90
oldsman105
Jack the R
97rivman
1998 Riv
turtleman
ender467
T Riley
SoCal Riv
Jason
Mr.Riviera
AA
84 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 am

Going to single pipe will change the resonant frequency of the system. A dual pipe set up is quieter because the smaller diameter tubes are tuned to a lower frequency. A single tube will be larger dia, higher resonant frequency. Unless you select a resonater that cancels this note, it will make a droning sound.

Here's an interesting approach to curing drone that I think would work, regardless of tube diameter or number of pipes:

http://www.silveradosierra.com/exhaust/exhaust-system-drone-let-s-get-rid-of-it-t12607.html

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 10:12 am

Good info there
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 am

I don't really like that idea. It seems really restrictive. Would rather go with one of those twin loop mufflers.

This is the closest to our engine that I could find with them.

Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 2:26 pm

That sounds surprisingly good for the lack of resonator. Always afraid of ending up with the raspy sound.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Ohh yeah...I sounds alright
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Quote :
I don't really like that idea. It seems really restrictive.
Things aren't always what they seem. Because the J-pipe is filled with air, it doesn't restrict. The air acts like a wall. But since the wall is made of air, it's permitted to resonate with the rest of the air in the system. Effectively, it's like adding a customized length of tube to your exhaust without the restriction. This lowers the resonant frequency of the system.

The author replies:

"If you will carefully examine the photos, you'll notice that the chambers are not connected into the flow path of the exhaust gasses. They only affect the drone sound because they are tuned chambers, capped at the far end. To prove this point, the temperature of these chambers is CONSIDERABLY LESS than the pipe they are attached to. My Pontiac was modified way back in 2009, so this is a proven solution and has been adapted by Solo Performance and used in their exhaust systems, especially for the new Camaros.

It works and it doesn't hurt horsepower."

I checked at Solo-Performance to see if they were in fact using J-pipes on their Camaro exhaust kits. Looks like they are:

http://solo-performance.com/axle-back-with-j-camaro-convertiblkit

A customer writes this in their review:

"Prior to driving my car with any Solo product, Jeff took me for a ride in a car that had, I believe, a Solo cat-back on it with the j-pipes. While Jeff was driving it, I was thinking to myself that I just drove six hours for THIS?? It sounded nice but way quieter than I imagined it would be….on the INSIDE!. When I got out of the car and he did a couple of drive bys, I’m sure my jaw dropped. It’s just inconceivable to me how the sound can be so different between inside and outside of the car. That is the magic of the J-pipes."

"Jeff said the real dyno measures the increase by 12 hp if I’m not mistaken. The trade-off is if you want the nasty, (in a good way), raw, loud sound go with the axle back. We also compared the weight of the stock system vs. the Solo system and the Solo was almost half as heavy."

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Ive seen that idea in the Subaru community before. Its just a resonant chamber tuned to a specific frequency like the resonators on air intakes.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 6:19 pm

AA wrote:

Quote :
I don't really like that idea. It seems really restrictive.
Things aren't always what they seem. Because the J-pipe is filled with air, it doesn't restrict. The air acts like a wall. But since the wall is made of air, it's permitted to resonate with the rest of the air in the system. Effectively, it's like adding a customized length of tube to your exhaust without the restriction. This lowers the resonant frequency of the system.

The author replies:

"If you will carefully examine the photos, you'll notice that the chambers are not connected into the flow path of the exhaust gasses. They only affect the drone sound because they are tuned chambers, capped at the far end. To prove this point, the temperature of these chambers is CONSIDERABLY LESS than the pipe they are attached to. My Pontiac was modified way back in 2009, so this is a proven solution and has been adapted by Solo Performance and used in their exhaust systems, especially for the new Camaros.

It works and it doesn't hurt horsepower."

I checked at Solo-Performance to see if they were in fact using J-pipes on their Camaro exhaust kits. Looks like they are:

http://solo-performance.com/axle-back-with-j-camaro-convertiblkit

A customer writes this in their review:

"Prior to driving my car with any Solo product, Jeff took me for a ride in a car that had, I believe, a Solo cat-back on it with the j-pipes. While Jeff was driving it, I was thinking to myself that I just drove six hours for THIS?? It sounded nice but way quieter than I imagined it would be….on the INSIDE!. When I got out of the car and he did a couple of drive bys, I’m sure my jaw dropped. It’s just inconceivable to me how the sound can be so different between inside and outside of the car. That is the magic of the J-pipes."

"Jeff said the real dyno measures the increase by 12 hp if I’m not mistaken. The trade-off is if you want the nasty, (in a good way), raw, loud sound go with the axle back. We also compared the weight of the stock system vs. the Solo system and the Solo was almost half as heavy."
I've seen this before, they sell mufflers like this on eBay they call them twin loop mufflers I wonder how 3in catted downpipe-3in piping-mid mounted flowmaster- twin loop out the back would sound?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:01 am

h20man wrote:
I found one on YouTube but it was cammed
I think I might know that car lol
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 am

turtleman wrote:

h20man wrote:
I found one on YouTube but it was cammed
I think I might know that car lol
haha yeah it was your car sounds good btw
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:51 am

My buddy has solo exhaust on his g8. J pipes removed the droan that's I'll but impossible to design out when it switches between 4 and 8 cyl.  The science works, the real life works. I was always planning it on the riv to see about curing some of the 3800 drone.

Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:19 am

That's understandable, the 4-8 cyl switch thing. I bet this was a big challenge to engineering when they told them "Exhaust needs to be silent when used with both 4 cyl and 8 cyl engines." I'm guessing here, but wouldn't it make more sense to tune for quiet 4 cyl operation, getting louder with all 8 cylinders active?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 2:21 pm

I think it was more the buzz and drone you get when going to 4 cyl. Then if thats killed, then when back to 8 it might be back or not sounding they way they wanted. The solo kit wasn't just for being loud, they wanted a specific tone, but to do it with both 4 and 8, well you essentially have to make a kit that gives the sound you want for 2 different cars. Designing good sounding exaust is hard enough when you don't have to worry about shuttind off half the cyl.

Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 2:29 pm

So just reassure myself before I start taking measurements and ordering piping there isn't a car with an exhaust setup similar to the riv that could possibly bolt up? I heard something about the Cadillac Seville exhaust being close but not sure
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 2:42 pm

69GSColorado wrote:

robotennis61 wrote:

69GSColorado wrote:
The majority of my noise comes from the thin tube headers. I hear more noise from the front of the car than the back.

Don't get me wrong, my car is not as quiet as stock, but it's super quiet for a car with a performance exhaust. There is slight drone at fourth and low climbing a hill, but even then it's still not even as loud as my dad's Regal GSX with a 3" DP and a 2.5" catback with Magnaflow mufflers at regular cruising speeds.

At 60 mph and above you don't even hear my exhaust. That's what I love because I do a lot of highway driving. However, when you floor it, it's a different story  wink

It's definitely a very low tone with absolutely no rasp. I believe the bigger piping helps reduce rasp.

you dont have a sound bite do ya?

No unfortunately I don't at the moment but I could easily get one in a couple weeks when I get my car back. It's back at home with my Dad's shop. I just had a dual guage pod installed and fastened to my A pillar. After re-upholstery, I'm installing a boost guage and fuel pressure guage. It's going to be awesome!
So, about this sound bite now.. lol would love to hear idle and maybe some driving? Pretty please?
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 3:08 pm

h20man wrote:
So just reassure myself before I start taking measurements and ordering piping there isn't a car with an exhaust setup similar to the riv that could possibly bolt up? I heard something about the Cadillac Seville exhaust being close but not sure
I believe there is someone with Park Avenue Ultra exhaust.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Yeah check the Park Ave...
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Yep, 2004 Park Avenue Ultra, bolts right up, is stainless and seems to have some performance advantage. Abertj has this installed on his.

Part number 25749911 I found it listed for about $630 from one of the online GM parts houses, and seemed to still be available (although I didn't try to actually order it)

Albertj and I were chatting about it and here is what we said:

Quote :

It is the exhaust for the 2004 park ave ultra. In my opinion it flows better than stock, based on I noticed that a flat spot I had with the old exhaust, around 2500 rpm, is Gone.

I strongly suggest you ask your local gm dealer about the price to you. I would not be surprised if it was discounted in some way. GMPD price is OK but the shipping is silly priced and the chance for damage is high with all that handling. I would order it soon because the 2004 parts are going to disappear soon (next year).

Also about "stainless" well the exhaust is T409 which corrodes, just not as fast as carbon steel. It will last like the original. You should clean it then paint it with silver engine paint.

As for sound, the mufflers are bigger than original riv but fit. They J U S T Fit. As for sound, it is quiet like a library, well under 58 dB in the cabin, i'm happy.

Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 4:45 pm

[quote="al_roethlisberger"]
Yep, 2004 Park Avenue Ultra, bolts right up, is stainless and seems to have some performance advantage.  Abertj has this installed on his.  

Part number 25749911  I found it listed for about $630 from one of the online GM parts houses, and seemed to still be available (although I didn't try to actually order it)

Albertj and I were chatting about it and here is what we said:

[quote]

It is the exhaust for the 2004 park ave ultra. In my opinion it flows better than stock, based on I noticed that a flat spot I had with the old exhaust, around 2500 rpm, is Gone.

I strongly suggest you ask your local gm dealer about the price to you. I would not be surprised if it was discounted in some way. GMPD price is OK but the shipping is silly priced and the chance for damage is high with all that handling. I would order it soon because the 2004 parts are going to disappear soon (next year).

Also about "stainless" well the exhaust is T409 which corrodes, just not as fast as carbon steel. It will last like the original. You should clean it then paint it with silver engine paint.

As for sound, the mufflers are bigger than original riv but fit. They J U S T Fit. As for sound, it is quiet like a library, well under 58 dB in the cabin, i'm happy.

wonder what the pipe diameter is?
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 6:30 pm

My Magnaflows just arrived! they are getting installed tomorrow first thing in the morning. I'll have pics and vids up right away. Basically what im doing is just installing the mufflers in the stock location, and then having a turn down welded directly to them eliminating the crazy bend and stock tips ( ugly in my opinion ). I'm gonna keep everything tucked up pretty good for a nice subdued look.
FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 1108131506_zpsc0bc7acb
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:06 pm

wanna hear them
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 2:45 pm

The car is on the lift, apparently these are not Magnaflows, rather they are "Fullboar" which is a knockoff brand but essentially the same thing. no wonder they were so cheap.
This video actually shows the Full Boar out flowing the Magnaflows, not sure how...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPIt-eoT3w
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 5:42 pm

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 1109131359_zpsff5dd6a9
Not alot of light in this pic but the entire unit is flat black:
FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 1109131439_zps15e943d9
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 7:23 pm

96_Juggernaut wrote:
FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 1109131359_zpsff5dd6a9
Not alot of light in this pic but the entire unit is flat black:
FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 1109131439_zps15e943d9

Uh,you have a lift in yer garagi?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 33 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread
Page 33 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next