Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: HID Conversion

Go down 
+57
firefighter
Jimdangello
Mattwa
denim
RivieraParadise
2000ws6transam
GM FIEND
LT1Squirrel
Rizz01
tanyue123
Jayrydingslab
BigRay1125
nebstewart07
95rivy
7901mark
TheNewEra95
Derek
flyineagle96
KillaKeninaRiv
Abaddon
ZEP
VJD2
BrianEsser
DEMonte1997
GMFreak8
nigelf
97 park ave
Eldo
robotennis61
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
Rickw
texasfan010
Snowdog
L8-2BNGO
L67
EatDirtFartDust
deekster_caddy
manofmany
Shintsu
Natesriv
TonySmooth89
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
albertj
IBx1
'96reese
palermocorey90
jax95riv
SpaceBar
RhinoFLA
NO 4 EVR
AA
turtleman
CeeKay
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 9:07 pm

ALso thanks to IBX1 for write up and site links. Just one thing though. Do the new DS2 bulbs fir properly in the Riv's housings?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:57 pm

D2S's are all we have used so far. I'm having some trouble getting hold of D2R lamps. No one has had any complaints about D2S though
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 8:48 pm

purchased some 6000K HID's on thursday from
http://myworld.ebay.com/autoluminate
and they arrived today!
got them for $55 shipped! usps express from cali.
they have the same ballasts as Ilans HID's. (Xentec 35w)
just got them installed and WOW well worth the 20 min to install. true plug and play design. i didnt have to modify anything and can go back to OEM in another 20 min.
here are some progress pics:
Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 P4250010

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 P4250011

Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 P4250012

pictures dont do it justice, these are BRIGHT!
Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 P4250013

just hope they last...(has warranty card at least)

Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 8:55 pm

wow, a bargain.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Haha they look amazing with your paint! You also paid half what I did...nice buy! It's so much easier to install with a FWI, right?
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Ok, so I'm gonna buy, but need some advise.

He has these two options:
Spoiler:
&
Spoiler:

I guess the only difference is that one utilizes a "slimmer" ballast, or am I missing something?

I have a white car, plan to keep a black grill, and no extra chrome on the outside except when I get wheels.

What color should I get?
and I have bulb size 9006 right?
and I'll only have one brightness setting. No more brights, correct?[url]

Last edited by EatDirtFartDust on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:34 pm

i still have brights, but they look like yellow shit now happy
yes 9006 bulbs.
some hid's are 55w and some are 35w. without looking at the 2 links i'd guess that's the difference. 55w will be a little brighter, but also take away ~1000K color. so 6000k bulbs in 35w(mine) are 5000k in 55w.
anything over 6000k is too blue for me.

Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:38 pm

They're both 35w. I think you're paying $20 more for a smaller ballast.
I'm gonna get what you got, but 5k.
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Nah, looking at your car again, I'm gonna copy you to the T smile
6k for me.
We dont live close, so noone but us here will know I copied you.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 10:20 pm

smile
different cars with different mods. you couldn't copy me to the T if you tried.
and besides, i followed llan and Devin.

one favor though, please use the link instead of mile long addresses.

Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Wow this looks really cool, especially for the amount of time put in! Looks like I'll have to add it to the list of summer projects. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:43 am

my passenger ballast went out on friday. i had a feeling it was defective b/c from the time i put it in i had a problem with that light coming on when cold.(just had to turn them off and back on to make them work)
Friday morning it wouldnt come on at all, so i emailed the seller and he is warentying the ballast. he sent the new one out today. i'm guessing he is sending me a prepaid return box as well. i'll keep you guys informed.
i still recommend this kit, factory defects happen and the seller/xentec handeled this problem very qucikly. i just hope it is the only bump in the road smile

Back to top Go down
L8-2BNGO
Enthusiast

Name : Devin

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyMon May 04, 2009 11:14 am

very nice man cant wait to see how bright they are!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyMon May 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
my passenger ballast went out on friday. i had a feeling it was defective b/c from the time i put it in i had a problem with that light coming on when cold.(just had to turn them off and back on to make them work)
Friday morning it wouldnt come on at all, so i emailed the seller and he is warentying the ballast. he sent the new one out today. i'm guessing he is sending me a prepaid return box as well. i'll keep you guys informed.
i still recommend this kit, factory defects happen and the seller/xentec handeled this problem very qucikly. i just hope it is the only bump in the road smile

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they don't require return of the bad ballast.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyMon May 04, 2009 2:21 pm

if you want even more light outbut you could boost the ballasts.

That said, has anyone ever managed to do a projector beam conversion? Here is one video that seems to explain how to make an HID headlamp assembly but in the process also a projector beam:

Where do you get a projector assembly to do it custom? I mean check this out - a custom Grand Am with projectors. They don't make them for that so how would someone make one for a Riv? Perhaps ambitious of me to say so but I might go ahead and do it and maybe make a write up depending on the cost. One problem I'm seeing though - what do you do about our lens? It has all those little ridges and stuff in the outer lens - how would you make it so it is simply a clear piece of plastic that fits over the headlight?

I'm not sure what they're categorized as, so can someone tell me the number type the cornering light bulbs are? I don't know what types of bulbs to look at to replace them with something brighter. One other lighting mod I'm thinking about, I want to get a strip of flexible LEDs 39" long that are white and mount them underneath the car right near the door. The ones I'm looking at are waterproof as well. My ideal setup would be to have these lights tucked away so you can't really see them and they will come on with the interior lights so that when you hit unlock they light up the ground next to the door but also they would come on if I turned the interior lights on via the dimmer. I think this would have a cool effect similar to paddle lights without looking tacky or ricey like neon lights would be. They sell tiny plastic mounts that you can screw in and I'd use a short screw to attach it on each side, although I might use some other adhesive or something - I'm just not sure how much I trust double sided tape to hold it up over time, but I know there are some heavy duty versions that might be suitable since no one will see them.

Any other ideas anyone would care to share or things you've done to improve the lightning of the car in someway (Interior or exterior)?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 5:35 am

Cool Beans
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 10:25 am

I will say that I notice and HATE aftermarket, unaimed HIDs, and I usually flash my high beams at them oncoming because they are obnoxious and blinding. A proper HID will trim the upper portion of the light away, so it's not blinding to oncoming traffic. Just pull up in front of a wall in a car with Factory HIDs and compare the light pattern to that of an aftermarket conversion, which just has a big blinding globe of light. Nice for the driver, bad for everyone else.

Otherwise, go ahead and try a few things out. I'm all in favor of finding a better lighting solution!
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 12:15 pm

There's definitely a lot of diffusion with mine, but I aim my headlights as properly as I can. Turtleman said that there was a certain bulb, like the H2S or H2D I forget, it has a ceramic coating on the tip to 'shorten' the projecting light and make it similar in length to a regular halogen light. Worth looking into as well, although they're a bit more expensive and hard to find.

Also, Shintsu, I believe one method was to get a headlamp assembly from a 1st gen CTS and cut the projecter bulbs and housings out of that...there's a video somewhere.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
I will say that I notice and HATE aftermarket, unaimed HIDs!

I would say the same thing about unaimed or missinstalled halogen lights. I can't even tell you how many people I see driving around with one normal light and then the other light is obviously put in wrong because the beam is shooting up instead of at the road, but they either don't notice it or don't know how to fix it. The HID's that blind me the most are the ones in some of the factory equipped cars such as the Acura TL which apparently runs the HID's and the highbeams on at the same time a lot of hte time. And in general some of the auto-leveling systems just throw the headlights at you like a rave club, which is much worse to me.

Reflector lenses retrofitted with HID's is sometimes hit or miss, there. Some cars give you enough adjustability to make HID's behave enough and some lense designs are just better suited than others. I've never been flashed in the riv with HID's and I didn't adjust it. I would get flashed in my 00 eclipse though sometimes.

Ilan, it's called a D2R bulb (the "R" indicates reflector lense). That is a kind of universal part number that the OEM for HID systems use. I still don't know for sure if you can get a D2R lamp that fits a 9006/9005 socket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: HID Conversion   Write-Up: HID Conversion - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: HID Conversion
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next