Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

L36 swap questions for 97 riv

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jesustakethewheel
Special

Name : kevin
Merit : 0

L36 swap questions for 97 riv Empty
PostSubject: L36 swap questions for 97 riv   L36 swap questions for 97 riv EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I had a few questions regarding a L36 swap into my L67 '97 riv.

I found what I believe to be a good deal on a L36 that was being designed for a turbo build. The questions I have are regarding the compatibility of this engine in my L67 riviera. After much online research I am still coming up with contradicting information. I am hoping by posting here I can introduce myself to everyone, and I can get more direct answers regarding the riviera specifically.

1. Will the L36 bolt up to the L67 engine mounts? I know that the L67 and L36 use the same block, and the '97 riv came with an L36 option, so I expect this to be a yes.

2. Will the L36 bolt up to and be compatible with my 4t65eHD transmission? If not, I assume it will be with the 4t65e transmission? If this is the case, will a 4t65e transmission bolt up to my vehicle? I have learned how incompatible rivieras are with other transmissions, so the transmission compatibility issue is what makes me most tentative about going through with this purchase.

3. Would I be able to run my current L67 supercharger? My aspiration is to one day turbo, however right now this is only a goal. So in the meantime, I would like to use my current configuration, or use this as a time to upgrade to a genV or something. I know people top swap all the time, so I don't anticipate the mechanics of this being impossible, but that is why I am here asking.

3. If ALL the issues above are solved, what will the PCM management have to like? There will be a L36 block running a L67 top swap in an L67 with a 4t65e(HD?). I have access to a tuner, but can this be done?

I am relatively new, but committed to learning and enjoy solving difficult problems. What I am trying to figure out is if this will be more trouble than its worth. I have a great deal on a motor that has the potential to be really fast, and if the above is possible I'll go for it. However, if the above is nearly impossible without fabricating new transmission or motor mounts, then I'll wait for the next good deal.

Thanks! All the best,
JTTW
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: L36 swap questions for 97 riv   L36 swap questions for 97 riv EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 pm

You won't be able to use the supercharger on the L36, at least not easily, since the L36's compression ratio is higher (9.4:1 vs 8.6:1).
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: L36 swap questions for 97 riv   L36 swap questions for 97 riv EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 am

Currently I have a "donor" 4T65E-HD on my L36. It bolted right on, but it has different gear ratio(s) and passenger side half-axle shaft is different too.
Before ratio numbers were corrected in the PCM, upshiftings were jerky as hell. Now it shifts better, but I still not happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: L36 swap questions for 97 riv   L36 swap questions for 97 riv Empty

Back to top Go down

L36 swap questions for 97 riv
Page 1 of 1