Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer

Go down 
+19
rivparadise
TheReub
Abaddon
Eldo
Rickw
albertj
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
Natesriv
LARRY70GS
BillBoost37
PCweber
T Riley
Jason
Fastfrankie
scott_in_mesa
SpaceBar
AA
turtleman
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:57 pm

Ok... F@#^ taking the balancer off with the engine outta the car.. you can't get any leverage without moving the whole motor. it took me 3 hours to break one bolt loose.... I was furious..
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 6:29 am

Use an engine stand?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 12:03 pm

Rickw wrote:
Albert, you have over 200k miles on your car.
Have you ever had to change the harmonic balancer due to failure.?

No. As far as I know it is the original HB, however it would not surprise me if it had been swapped out for a better (but used) one during a service call.

In order to prevent callbacks the mechanics at my local GM dealer will do that sort of thing, with discretion. Say for instance you have this dealer do a brake job and nothing else is apparently wrong going in. If your ABS sensor quits at that time for whatever reason, they will most likely get a good used hub and put it on without telling you that they did that as well as the brake job. As it stands, I've had the HB off a few times at the dealer for various reasons. It would not surprise me much that if it had a problem a mechanic would have swapped it with a good used one off a car they were sending to auction or scrap, OR if it was going but not gone they would have recommneded me to buy a new one.

As far as these HBs go I would try to get a factory one. I suspect they used some sort of high-spec polymer instead of the typical rubber.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:37 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Use an engine stand?

Can't you can't put the flywheel on when the engine stand is being used.. and i jammed the balancer thingy in the lifter valley (forgot what its called at the moment) and it just kept slipping... it was a HUGE pain in the ass
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:22 pm

You can put a couple of flywheel bolts in and put a lever in there to stop the crank from turning. Jamming the vibration damper is a bad plan.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Fastfrankie wrote:

Since my air gun would not remove the bolt initially, I put a socket and ratchet on the bolt and rested the base of the ratchet on the k-frame of the car and then bumped the starter- bolt came right off.

Brilliant! idea
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Also remember the Bolt is TTY. One use and throw it away. Buy a new one for re-installation of the Balancer.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm

You guys replied to a 2007 posting?! lol
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Blame it on ELDO.
He must have been having a Senior Moment.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Nooooo, I brought it back to life because I thought it was such a good tip... bump
Back to top Go down
TheReub
Rookie

Name : RL
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Is it necessary to drop the engine in order to change/remove the HB?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Not necessary, but makes the removal/install easier.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 4:12 pm

TheReub wrote:
Is it necessary to drop the engine in order to change/remove the HB?

No, but if you don't you definitely want to get the special adapters to pull it. There is a writeup or a note on this site somewhere about that. Maybe AA can point it out to you.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:22 am

Where exactly is the Crank Sensor? Is it directly behind the pulley?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 pm

rivparadise wrote:
Where exactly is the Crank Sensor? Is it directly behind the pulley?

yup.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:27 am

My friend did the Crank Sensor in about 40 min. Impact worked fine. I didn't have a chance to drive due to snow and salt. Tuesday I will give it a test. So far starts right up and no SES light. I'm hoping this will end my frustration!

Update: So far so good! Got a squeaky belt that won't quit though! I think there's a leak in one of my heater core hoses that's leaking onto the belt. Will get to it this weekend. At least it's not cutting out anymore!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
dartcars
Rookie

Name : Josh

PostSubject: harmonic balancer center bolt   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:13 am

I have a 97 riviera, I am wondering if the center bolt is reverse thread or not? i am trying to change the crank shaft sensor and i am having some trouble removing the center bolt
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 am

its not a reverse thread. trying to do it by hand is sometimes impossible but not impossible. if you get a long enough breaker bar and the correct socket,put the socket on the bolt and rest the breaker bar on the front of the subframe closest to the radiator.make sure the socket is the right fit and the bar wont fall off.now hit the ignition once,lightly,dont crank the bitch.shoudl pop right off.before rednecking it,spray the area real good with PB blaster,depending on where you live maybe even a little heat for good measure

this guy had ,from the looks of it,the entire front end jacked up.dont do that. jsut remove the passenger wheel and do not rest the breaker bar on a jack stand.rest it on the subframe far away from any hose ,elec wires or anything that might get damaged.

oh,and nake sure the car is totally supported on the pass side with a jack.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 11:43 am

I'm thinkin' you may want to disable the ignition system before doing this so as not to actually start the engine inadvertently smile
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 am

..youre just blipping the ignition. blip..blip...
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 pm

thanks man but that leads me to my second problem battery is dead no way to jump start not enough room in garage battery charger is dead can this be done with an impact?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm

dartcars wrote:
thanks man but that leads me to my second problem battery is dead no way to jump start not enough room in garage battery charger is dead can this be done with an impact?

Absolutely. An Impact gun will do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
dartcars
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 pm

the center bolt wont break loose thinking about using the torch
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 pm

yup. if you dont have a BIG impact and big cfms,youll have lotsa trouble gettin it off.best bet is to find a battery,borrow a neighbors for a minute or 2 or go buy one. and heat up that bolt after removing belts and blip that bitch bolt off. works every time.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 150

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Can you remove the inspection cover, and hold the flexplate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer   Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Removing the Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next