Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread

Go down 
+80
96_Juggernaut
h20man
al_roethlisberger
Johnny5
bmcd9179
99Rivman
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
th3fr4nchi5e
bigblue96
2000ws6transam
Setton
stan
llamalor2112
LT1Squirrel
highwaywarrior
Jamax
pwriv97
c0reyl
LARRY70GS
flyineagle96
Pipes
Bowersk
charlieRobinson
69GSColorado
gmann3001
Ron's Rocket Riv
denim
dboydakid
RidzRiv
jlaw
J. Chris Davis
Hometown Hero
hollywood
sealk
VJD2
BrianEsser
Tank
Abaddon
BMD
crlombardi69
IBx1
Snowdog
L67
esquire23
DEMonte1997
Eldo
#1BearsFan
Rickw
robotennis61
Chicken
albertj
1wickedninja
captshiner
Shintsu
greg_anderson_78
TonySmooth89
dreww
urbsnspices
nothincame2mind
BillBoost37
BKRIV
ewolfe0050
envus87
deekster_caddy
TType_Riviera
palermocorey90
oldsman105
Jack the R
97rivman
1998 Riv
turtleman
ender467
T Riley
SoCal Riv
Jason
Mr.Riviera
AA
84 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 pm

With the right cam it can sound good, but generally I agree it doesn't sound too hot when you open things up on a stock engine. Here's a few recordings to help you out. Mine's on page 4 of the thread:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t6854-exhaust-sound-clips

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Okay I can live with that sound no gun shots were fired at the end thats awesome aa so what would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:33 pm

I don't know the laws in LA for emissions. Check into that. If you can install a 3" downpipe and lose the cat conver, keeping everything else stock - it will have a nice low idle, some growl when you hit it, but no drone when cruising. That's how I like it. I've put my cat back on since that vid was taken, but it sure sounded good. wink

I wouldn't recommend headers for you at this point, but if you plan to mod the car some more they improve flow and will change the sound a bit - not for everybody - a bit louder up front and you can hear the valves more. Takes a little away from the soft luxury feel, but sounds meaner, more raw. I wrapped mine, which helps lower the noise. Hope this helps.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

I have just begun putting in the work and its illegal here too so I want to go about it the right way .. I just want about close to 400horse and ill stop
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Johnny5 wrote:
and ill stop
Thats what you say now... lmao 
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 pm

I want to keep the SC and bolt on a turbo im sure there are plentiful on mods needed for that major of a move .. but I just need economy for now with a boost lol..
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

I wish I had a good camera to take a new vid/sound clip of my Hooker Aerochambers.....he old vid I have on here is with those stupid DynoMax dual chambers. WAYYYY too loud they were.

I've always wanted some Corsa mufflers, but you can't buy JUST mufflers, can you?

EDIT: AND, I realized the other day that the O2 simulator I have in place of the CAT is useless considering I have the rear O2 codes set to "ignore" neutral 
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:44 am

Silly question... Do muffles "break in"? When i had my exhaust put up, it sounded kind of raspy and was fairly loud, but i think it has a more mellow tone and is quieter now. I figured i just got used to it, but wasnt sure if mufflers actually do sound different after theyve been run for a while.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Silly question... Do muffles "break in"? When i had my exhaust put up, it sounded kind of raspy and was fairly loud, but i think it has a more mellow tone and is quieter now. I figured i just got used to it, but wasnt sure if mufflers actually do sound different after theyve been run for a while.
Absolutely. Mufflers will sound different after they "break in". Once the packing has heated/cooled a bunch of times, the real sound sets in. I have no clue behind the science of it all, but they definitely "break in".
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 11:28 am

Corsa sucks man they make them for the 02 and earlier Grand Prix but wont make them for our AA confirmed it as well I tried .... but I think im going to order the gtp stuff and have a shop mandrel bend the pieces for me so I could use them
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 am

AA wrote:
I don't know the laws in LA for emissions. Check into that. If you can install a 3" downpipe and lose the cat conver, keeping everything else stock - it will have a nice low idle, some growl when you hit it, but no drone when cruising. That's how I like it. I've put my cat back on since that vid was taken, but it sure sounded good. wink

I wouldn't recommend headers for you at this point, but if you plan to mod the car some more they improve flow and will change the sound a bit - not for everybody - a bit louder up front and you can hear the valves more. Takes a little away from the soft luxury feel, but sounds meaner, more raw. I wrapped mine, which helps lower the noise. Hope this helps.

Thanks man it helps alot when I know it sounds more expensive every time lol im going to start slow intercooler n exhaust thats and do you know of anyone selling a scanner ... im falling in like with this aeroforce but price is up up and away
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Abaddon wrote:

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
Absolutely. Mufflers will sound different after they "break in". Once the packing has heated/cooled a bunch of times, the real sound sets in. I have no clue behind the science of it all, but they definitely "break in".
Cool. Im much happier with the sound of my exhaust now then when i put it on.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 5:17 pm

At some point I'd love to have stainless all the way from header to tail, but not have a loud system, especially at idle and low/mid RPM.

I wouldn't mind if it was a bit louder under throttle/WOT, but again not really obnoxious as I personally think that is counter to the look/purpose of the Riviera. But that's my preference of course wink

.... I think it is more interesting to have a true sleeper, quiet, refined.... but burnout 

Jason posted quite a bit of info on different exhausts and their db earlier in this thread I think.... or one of the other threads on the subject. I think the Borla SS systems came in very quiet at idle.

Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 5:27 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:

At some point I'd love to have stainless all the way from header to tail, but not have a loud system, especially at idle and low/mid RPM.

I wouldn't mind if it was a bit louder under throttle/WOT, but again not really obnoxious as I personally think that is counter to the look/purpose of the Riviera.  But that's my preference of course wink

.... I think it is more interesting to have a true sleeper, quiet, refined.... but   burnout 

Jason posted quite a bit of info on different exhausts and their db earlier in this thread I think.... or one of the other threads on the subject.  I think the Borla SS systems came in very quiet at idle.

He did but it didn't tell me wether or not he likes it cause it looks extremely loud on the phone and computer pictures lol but corsa go to there utube infomercial and listen to the V6 Camaro and V6 and Avenger they sound awesome from my ears but maybe we might disagree I like the sound out a 350z or a G37 factory
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Johnny5 wrote:

al_roethlisberger wrote:

I wouldn't mind if it was a bit louder under throttle/WOT, but again not really obnoxious as I personally think that is counter to the look/purpose of the Riviera.  But that's my preference of course wink

.... I think it is more interesting to have a true sleeper, quiet, refined.... but   burnout 

Jason posted quite a bit of info on different exhausts and their db earlier in this thread I think.... or one of the other threads on the subject.  I think the Borla SS systems came in very quiet at idle.

He did but it didn't tell me wether or not he likes it cause it looks extremely loud on the phone and computer pictures lol but corsa go to there utube infomercial and listen to the V6 Camaro and V6 and Avenger they sound awesome from my ears but maybe we might disagree I like the sound out a 350z or a G37 factory

Here you go. He has some photos and a few videos with sound of the Corsa system installed:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7775-corsa-exhaust

From page 2:

1) Cold startup and idle. Didn't warm up enough to drop idle down to 700. Stayed at 1k. http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=2385595
2) Driving around, windows and sunroof closed: http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=2385594
3) Driving with sunroof cracked open. Acceleration. http://video.cardomain.com/VideoPlayer.aspx?id=2385592

He later added some resonator inserts which he says made the exhaust a bit more quiet, but not sure how much.

Al
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Im on my phone and it wouldn't let me hear the sound clips so I have to find some other way
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 1:04 pm

albertj wrote:

denim wrote:
Albertj,
I like your reasoning, and the mostly stock approach. If I were to use your recommendations, that is, how you finally configured your own car, what might it cost, ballpark?

Short answer - You have to ask dealers for price quotes.  Because the PAU exhaust comes in one piece so shipping can be -- well -- interesting. That means expensive.  It could be as much as a grand or more to your door.  

Better (and cheaper) answer - PN of the PAU exhaust assembly  was 25749911.  This is *important* - it shows up in the GM system as a "converter" and lists for almost $810. A rookie parts counterperson is not going to get that it really is the *whole* exhaust and hangers - there's some goofiness involved like no picture in the system or some stuff.   Oh yeah you get $80 for return of your old cat.  

You should be able to get for less than $810 but you will have to ask around and negotiate.  You might want to check Monsterpartsonline.com and gmpartsdirect.com using the part number 25749911 and print those prices out and ask the parts counter person to come as close as he can to the pricing without an Act of Congress. I think dealer cost on it runs $350 to $450.  So the thing is an experienced parts counterperson with some discretion or a parts manager is not usually going to charge you a 100% markup for something like that.  I do not remember what I paid but it was less than the then-price for GMPD if you included shipping. And the dealer even had the lot attendant drive the thing to my house... it's all one piece and clumsy, we hadda tie a red flag to the part that hung out the tail of the S-10...

As you know the parts managers have some discretion.  So what you pay may depend a little on who you talk to at the respective dealers.  I am thinking they should come close to the GMPD price, if only because they don't actually have to pay shipping from GM.  Yeah, shipping is another matter.  GMPartsDirect wants almost $150 to ship the sucker.

I guess the point is if you can buy it from a dealer for less than $650 all-in for pickup at the dealer  you Found A Deal and might/should consider it.  

They will (may) want a "reason " for replacing the cat and assuming your mufflers are rusty you can just say "Preventive maintenance."  Which is what it is... unlike the aftermarket aluminized systems the factory system is T409 stainless. (you should clean it off with clean rags and alcohol and then paint it before install more on this below).  

So as I confessed before I earlier had a custom stainless exhaust fabricated and put on.  For that exhaust I bought and provided a new Walker cat (they have actually about the best aftermarket cats I don't care what magnaflow says) to weld onto the system.  When I sold the custom system I asked for and got my buddy's old cat as part of the trade (it was part clogged and the heat shield had rusted off the case). He sawed it off with a hacksaw.  I turned that in for my $80.- some weeks after getting the "converter" from GM.   And called it "preventive maintenance."

A little trivia - The new exhaust will come with an EmCon converter, which will be TINY and very close to the downpipe.    Don't wig out.  it is small because it uses a newer technology  "thinwall" substrate and flows better than stink (or any cat it replaces). It does not have to be big. Oh and you don't have to but I also fabricated an extension to the undercar heat shield out of sheet aluminum flashing (mill finish) and secured that with exhaust repair epoxy and I think pop rivets or teeny sheet metal screws I forget which. And in order to be sure I got my moneyworth out of the replacement I painted it (except the cat) with silver 'high heat' engine paint before install. It took weeks for the paint to cure (heh heh).  

A little more insight:  Have a buddy help you with the install, the one-piece exhaust is a bit much to get into place and does not look like it fits -- until it is all hung on the hangers, then it's great.  The mufflers just tuck inside the rear bumper skin.  They will scrape the skin going in but rest just above and inside it once it is all hung at the right height.   They are big. Getting it on, you pop the hangers off the new exhaust and swap them in for the old ones one by one in their respective places. Use the old ones as paperweights or some such or sell them.  The factory hangers are some sort of black miracle elastomer, I doubt they ever wear out.

When I did my install I (well I didn't do it keep reading) broke the center hanger, repaired it with same grade stainless bolts and used galvanized pipe nipples over the bolts for ferrules to go in the hangers.  Only reason was my bud (a very good manufacturing engineer by the way) mistook the swaged bolt in the hanger for a bolthead to turn (it happens) and busted it when we were removing the old system. I am responsible for my car so I say I broke the hanger...  Not a big deal, I am good at making once-and-done solutions out of common/odd hardware and the hanger can be easily copied form common hardware once done being peeved about breaking it.  

Apologies for quoting such an old post, but if I am reading this correctly, this sounds like an ideal solution for someone like me that would like a stainless exhaust, that probably flows plenty well for reaonable HP, and is quiet and an OEM fit.

From what I conclude from reading the description above, this appears to be the complete exhaust after the downpipe, including the cat, intermediate piping, mufflers and tips, correct?

So my questions would be:

1) What year PAUs was this available?
2) Was this the stock exaust for the PAU in those years, or an optional exhaust?

I seems to still be available at the various online GM parts sites (at least it will let me add it to my cart), but it might also be nice to know what year PAU this was available so one could keep an eye out at wrecking yards.

Thanks!
Al
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Just got the exhaust checked out. No leaks found. I'm running ~1% rich. Would that do it? I still need to put the lining back in the trunk and see if that helps.

But why the heck am I getting exhaust in the cab? My back seat is out too so its open to the trunk.

Would any of this, no back seat and no trunk lining have something to do with the exhaust smell?

Is it possible a tune would help with this?
sick 
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Im not positive but if its noticable after removing trunk liner and back seat, could it be a small leak in the EVAP system? Or would that certainly throw a code?? I think theres a definite difference between gas in the exhaust and actual gas smell. Is it strongest after filling up or anything like that?

And when the cars running rich, you can definitely smell it but its alot different smell than gasoline after it hits the Catalytic converter.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 2:32 pm

A tune IS NOT going to cure your problem. I'll give it a good look-over when you come up on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 2:33 pm

I have no idea. I have no codes. It smells like exhaust. I have no cat.

I'm at a loss.

Would it have anything to do with the O2 sensor emulator Im using?

Abaddon wrote:
A tune IS NOT going to cure your problem. I'll give it a good look-over when you come up on Sunday.
Shoot. Thanks, Scott. Looking forward to the education.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 2:54 pm

You just had a cat delete. You're going to smell some un-catalyzed exhaust fumes with that.

~1% rich? How do you know this? LTFT?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes. LTFT.

When we cut the cat we found it hollowed out. So i dont think thats a factor. frown
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 3:06 pm

AA is right. You are ABSOLUTELY going to smell "rich" exhaust with the CAT removed. It will make its way into the car sometimes, especially first thing in the morning and when you're backing up. Just wait until you smell mine......(ha, that's funny)

~1% rich isn't anything at all to be concerned about. I'm actually surprised it isn't higher than that. Usually slapping a pulley on and not tuning will gain you ~5% LTFT for the extra air.

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Like I said, cat was non existent prior to DP install.
All the welds are good, no leaks.
Only difference is the O2 sensor emulator is now in place.

Could that be it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: The Exhaust Thread   FAQ: The Exhaust Thread - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: The Exhaust Thread
Page 30 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34 ... 38  Next