Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

EGR Valve Troubles

Go down 
+25
AA
nvsteve
chitown_riv98
charlieRobinson
rivparadise
DEMonte1997
turtleman
rk0ehn
LARRY70GS
dboydakid
setsuna57
Mr.Riviera
Abaddon
L67
deekster_caddy
albertj
palermocorey90
TonySmooth89
shrek90
BillBoost37
dreww
Jason
96RIVMANN
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

Name : noah rose
Merit : 0

EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 8:38 pm

SO THE THINGS I HAVE WRONG...ARE NOT WHY MY CAR IS ACTING UPP??
?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 8:43 pm

dboydakid wrote:
SO THE THINGS I HAVE WRONG...ARE NOT WHY MY CAR IS ACTING UPP??
?

Sorry. I meant unrelated to each other. The P0300 misfire is probably directly related to the car acting up. The other stiff may be. If the EGR is stuck open, I could see that causing an erratic misfire. From a diagnostics standpoint, the first thing you want to fix would be the throttle position signal issue. It's hard to be of help without being there with you. lol
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

Name : Christian Rolf Köhn
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 8:45 pm

OK.... in my previous post I didn't want to mention the TPS because your problem was most commonly at idle, but Yeh... here is how you can test the TPS: LINK.

rk0ehn wrote:
tested the TPS which was responding pretty well, the dark blue wire is the one that sends the TP (throttle plate) position to the PCM; with the Ignition key in the "ON" position and the TP fully closed it read on my DVM (digital voltmeter) .51V and while I gradually opened the TP the volts were increasing as well, up to 4.07V with the TP fully open and I even tapped on the TPS to see if the volts reading changes, but nothing, it was a steady reading

Here is some reading and tips about P0300 LINK. and it could be caused by the TPS problem, or with the IGN and FUEL which are more common, but as turtleman said, try to check the TPS first and if you got luck that could be the problem wink

Last edited by rk0ehn on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 8:51 pm

lol yea i know..yall are too far..need to move closer lol...but ok hopefully depending on the prices of all the problems i can get em all fixed tomorrow...but if not i will just focus on the tps .....what should be after that??? i wanna get them fixed at the same time..but if not atleast in order of most problematic..

and to rk0ehn..... all that looked like egyptian to me lol...im slowly becoming hipp to all this car talk..but thanks
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:00 pm

After that, check the Ignition System; this is the Spark Plug wires, Coil Packs and IGN (Ignition Control Module) all can be tested on the links I gave you.

BUT I think that the reason why you got that P0300 code could be because you had that spark plug wire boot loose and after you reconnected it you got the code registered. The P1406 could be historical... after the test have your codes cleared/erased.

GOOD LUCK!! rockets

Last edited by rk0ehn on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 pm

ok thanks
Back to top Go down
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Noah, I know EXACTLY what your going through. Mine has been doing that since March.

It used to be that I had to worry only about starting my "new" Riv, then I took care of the brakes. And low and behold this issue comes up.

I did a ton of research online and had my local mechanic check my codes. I got MAF sensor low, TPS high & low. Online said TPS problem and MAF sensor issues go hand in hand. I decided to change the cheaper of the parts first.

I replaced the TPS sensor ($65) and it ran a bit better. The rough rumbling subsided a bit but was still noticeable. Mind you acceration issues were also going on. On the highway climbing a high I kept bucking. I had to drive like an old man.

I bought MAF sensor cleaner for like $7, it remedied the problem but only for a few trips, the issues came back.

I finally broke down and bought a new MAF sensor, I also had a coupon for $20 off of a $100 or more purchase, that really does help. Check coupons in the mail, ValPack. As soon as I installed the MAF in the parking lot it was immediately cured. The tach stayed at 1 and it was smooth, felt brand new.

This lasted an entire week and then the engine light came back on. I have yet to feel the loss of power that it used to lack but I do have a sense of rumbling when I'm at a stop light for longer than a minute.

I had the new code checked and it came back EGR valve. The mechanic told me the EGR pipe fitting into the engine was leaking around the edges. And the pipe was setting off the EGR valve code; fix the pipe, fix the problem. My new pipe is on its way.

I hope this helps. I've spent soo much money on my Riv trying to do repairs we think were the issue. If I can save others the hassle I went through, it will be worth the agrivation. And I have gotten a lot of help finding affordable from members here.

Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:25 pm

aye thanx alot man..keep me updated on the egr problem
.i wanted to change my egr and maf anyway..just not yet..but hopefully the shop can diagnose my problem so i can just get this out the way and go back to driving a healthy car
and you too...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 7:03 am

Keep in mind it's not the EGR itself, but the EGR PIPE/TUBE he is talking about above. The tube seems to made from unobtanium and must be sourced used or fabricated. Replacing the EGR and MAF are not necessary unless they are not working. Don't throw money at unneeded parts.
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 7:06 am

Ok thanks.and idk if this may be a reason for my.problems..but a co worker said it may be the alternator?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 7:15 am

It could be, but unlikely. Check the battery voltage with the engine off, then with the engine running. Then with the engine running and lights on, blower on high, rear defog and heated seats on. (load test)
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 am

Ok..
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 11:57 am

If it's a MAF issue, get a used one (preferably from Morad). On supercharged cars, unplug it and run off the MAP sensor while you wait to get a MAF. The car won't run perfect but it will be better than with the MAF plugged in.

The EGR is worthless. My preference is to get rid of the ugly thing and just block off that port at the manifold. lol

TPS could give you issues. I had a 99' GA with the 3400 that had crazy idling issues and was starved for power. Changing out TPS fixed it entirely. If I pumped the gas before starting the car, that would fix the TPS for a short time by helping reset it.

How new are the spark plugs and wires? A misfire could give you some issues.. usually not that drastic though.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 7:36 am

TPS makes a big difference and if youre in a pinch you can clean the MAF with special cleaner. Be very careful and be sure to let it dry completely. I believe there's a thread for it on here.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Shop said egr valve is stuck.open...cost is 262 smh.. They claim.that is the reason for my problem...seems like that price is crazy..but I dnt have any other other options
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Ugh... Hate the EGR. One of the ugliest looking things under the hood. lol
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm

I should have just deleted it huh??? Lol I dont even know how it looks ..smh..
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:17 pm

This is how it looks like:
EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 33566530011_large

This is from a Naturally Aspired but the location is pretty much the same on the Supercharged:
EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EGR
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Yea I just looked under the hood before I sae that post..n it was the newest looking.thing so I figured that was it..lol..car is running good again..thankfully 250 dollars later
Thanks for everybodys help
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 pm

GOT A QUESTION..
at idle where are your rpm's supposed to be??? if im in drive with foot on brake they sit 2 notches under 1..is that bad???
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:34 am

dboydakid wrote:
GOT A QUESTION..
at idle where are your rpm's supposed to be??? if im in drive with foot on brake they sit 2 notches under 1..is that bad???

no. What is bad is if the rpm's "flutter" at idle, usually means the TB has to be pulled and then it and the intake cleaned with TB cleaner.
Back to top Go down
dboydakid
Enthusiast
dboydakid

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 am

Oh ok..just making sure..mine stays n.one spot just.not at the bottom..its rite.below one...
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:58 am

Does anyone have a picture of the EGR valve? Can anyone help me identify it? I want to unplug it and clear my p1404 code and see if the SES comes back on. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:14 am

EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 Egrval10
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:23 am

Thank you! I will clear the code after work today and see if it was just a false alarm. Thanks for the fast response! yay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve Troubles   EGR Valve Troubles - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

EGR Valve Troubles
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next